How To Bake Asparagus In The Oven
Baked asparagus is such a simple cooking technique. Its an incredibly easy and healthy side to have in your cooking repertoire. Simply:
Baked Asparagus With Parmesan Cheese
This oven baked asparagus is loaded with shredded Parmesan cheese. This is important for this recipe, use the shredded Parmesan, not the powdered kind. It turns out so gooey, and melty, and just amazing. I’ll probably tell you this recipe is amazing 45 more times so bare with me. Using the powdered parmesan will honestly still taste good but the texture will be more grainy paste than buttery melted goodness.
Baking asparagus and getting that perfect roasted veggie is one of the best ways to cook asparagus in my opinion. It’s easy, simple, and gets the best results. The worst thing- over cooked asparagus. It gets soggy and gross and no one wants that. This recipe gets that cooked and tender, but still a little crunchy, perfect asparagus.
To make this recipe, start by pre-heating your oven to 375. Place a few dabs/slices of butter on the bottom of the dish and the asparagus right over the top. Make sure to cut the “butts” off the asparagus first because they tend to be way to annoying to chew because of their stringy texture.
Sprinkle your minced garlic over the top of the asparagus as evenly as you can. Then the Parmesan on top of that. Finally, the best part, sprinkle the wine over it all and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. So good, I’m craving it now!
How To Season It
Asparagus seasoning can vary based on your tastes, dietary concerns or what you are going to serve it with. I found the best seasoning for baked asparagus to be a sprinkle of grated Parmesan cheese, a clove of minced fresh garlic, and a squeeze of lemon juice.
Some of my other favorites include:
- Adding ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs before cooking
- Sprinkling on ½ teaspoon garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning or Herbs de Provence
- Adding 1-2 pinches red pepper flakes
- Finishing with balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze
- Squeezing on any citrus fruit lemon, lime, orange or grapefruit
- Adding roughly chopped fresh parsley, mint or basil leaves after cooking
- Replacing the olive oil with nutty and aromatic ghee
- Finishing the spears with a tab of butter
Read Also: Let’s Bake Stuff And Watch Hallmark Movies
How To Roast Asparagus
- Snap off the woody dry ends of the asparagus. A quicker way when cooking a large bunch like this is to snap the end off one first, then line them all up on your chopping board and slice through the rest at the same length.
- Drizzle with a delicious olive oil/garlic mixture.
- Roast asparagus for only 10 minutes first to avoid over cooking them. Just make sure your oven is preheated!
- Top with mozzarella cheese and broil ! You could use whatever cheese you have on hand here, preferably a nice mild melting cheese.
How To Prep Asparagus For Roasting
There are two ways to trim asparagus:
- Bend and Break . Hold the top of the stem in one hand and grip it near the base with the other. Briskly bend and the asparagus will naturally snap in the right place. Its almost like magic and very satisfying.
- Cut the Bunch . Hold the entire bunch of asparagus in one hand and trim off the ends about 1 1/2 inches or so from the bottom.
While cutting the entire bunch of asparagus at once is fastest, the results do not turn out as well as if you bend and break each spear individually.
Every stalk of asparagus has a slightly different breaking point where the woody end starts. If you cut the whole bunch at once, youll waste edible flesh of some spears, while missing the woody parts of others, resulting in a few stringy bites.
Don’t Miss: Easy No Bake Desserts For Kids
How To Make Roasted Asparagus With Garlic Breadcrumbs
Roasting asparagus is easy! Simply toss the asparagus with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic. Roast in a 375 degree oven for about 12-15 minutes. Take out of the oven and drizzle with lemon juice. Done!
Now for the breadcrumbs. First, heat a medium skillet with olive oil. Add breadcrumbs and cook until lightly golden brown . Then, add garlic and cook for an additional minute. Take off the heat and season with parsley. Sprinkle on top of the asparagus, toss to coat, and serve!
When I make the breadcrumb mixture I typically double or triple the recipe to have extra on hand. I use the breadcrumb mixture for topping casseroles or macaroni and cheese for a nice crunchy topping.
How Long To Roast Asparagus At 425 Degrees
When making roasted asparagus the only difference in roasting is temperature and cooking time. Of course, higher temps cook the spears faster.
- Narrow asparagus will have a cook time as low as 12 minutes, but more likely closer to 14-16 minutes.
- Thick spears will cook in 15-18 minutes at 425 degrees.
The oven time will vary based on your doneness preference, actual thickness of the spears and accuracy of your oven thermostat.
For a different spin on roasted asparagus, try my Balsamic Roasted Asparagus & Tomato with Blue Cheese.
If you love asparagus as much as we do try my Sauteed Asparagus with Mushrooms, Cheesy Baked Asparagus or Alton Brown’s suggestion and zap your salted spears in the microwave wrapped in wet paper towels for 3-4 minutes. Surprisingly this results in nicely cooked spears. I personally rarely steam asparagus, but it is a nice hack when you need a single side dish serving fast. As far as boiling is concerned… just don’t do it. It’s an affront to the vegetable.
Tip: Line the baking pan with parchment or aluminum foil for easy clean-up.
Read Also: How Many Calories In Bush’s Baked Beans
How Long Do You Roast Asparagus For
This answer completely depends on a few factors.
How thick is your asparagus? Obviously, the thinner the spears, the quicker it will cook.
How done do you like your oven roasted asparagus? Do you like it firm so that theres still a bit of a snap? Or do you prefer it to be a bit on the mushy side?
What oven temperature are you using? Sometimes we have to cook things like our asparagus side dish recipes in the oven along with the main course. Even though I recommend cooking this recipe at 400 degrees F, sometimes you might have to adjust based on other factors.
For all of those reasons, here are a range of cooking times at different temperatures. If you like your asparagus more firm, cook it less time. Likewise, if you like it softer, cook it longer. These times are based on asparagus spears with a medium thickness.
- 400 degrees F: 8-12 minutes
- 375 degrees F: 10-14 minutes
- 350 degrees F: 12-16 minutes
Love easy asparagus recipes? How about tossing in some fresh herbs and making roasted asparagus with thyme? Or basil? Or both? What about taking that asparagus to the next level and transforming it into a heavenly asparagus risotto with Pecorino Romano?
I am sure this easy Oven Roasted Asparagus will become one of your favorite go-to side dishes!
Can I Store The Roasted Asparagus And Carrots
They can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Then, they can be reheated in the microwave or in the oven on low heat. While they can be stored, for the best taste and texture, eat the Roasted Asparagus and Carrots with Parmesan Cheese hot out of the oven.
Recommended Reading: Where To Sell Your Baked Goods
Roasted Asparagus Oven Baked
This oven baked roasted asparagus recipe is quick, easy, and delicious. Its the side you will want to make again and again. More importantly your family will ask for it again and again. Seriously, just bookmark this roasted asparagus now because its going to be your new go to.
Even if you think you already know how to cook asparagus. Stay tuned to see how I roast asparagus in the oven perfectly every time. And if youre not adding parmesan, you should be! Who doesnt love cheese?!
How Do You Tell If Asparagus Is Good
Asparagus should have a bright green color. The tips should be colorful and look healthy. The spears should all be stiff and hold their shape. There should not be any unpleasant slimy texture. Asparagus is often sold standing upright in water. This is because it stays more fresh when stored this way.
Read Also: Best Protein Powder To Bake With
How To Make The Perfect Parmesan Chicken:
Honestly thinking about how delicious this chicken was makes me want more! I always get nervous baking chicken and want them to be cooked throughout. I always cut my chicken in half to make tenders. Since I have a family of 4 I cooked this in a 9×9 and used 3 chicken breasts cut in half. I also put a thin layer of the sauce on the bottom so that the chicken would be perfectly moist!
Roasted Asparagus And Carrots With Parmesan Cheese
This Roasted Asparagus and Carrots with Parmesan Cheese recipe is so quick and easy to make! It comes together with just a few simple ingredients: asparagus, carrots, olive oil, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. This simple vegetarian side dish pairs well with just about any entree you are serving!
I just love roasting vegetables in the oven. It brings out so much flavor in them. I have tried many different vegetable combos over the years like Roasted Broccoli and Sweet Potatoes in Coconut Oil, Oven Roasted Mushrooms, and Roasted Cauliflower and Brussels Sprouts.
The other night when I was looking in the refrigerator and found asparagus and carrots, it hit me that I had never roasted these 2 vegetables together. So, of course, I had to give I a try! I think this recipe for Roasted Asparagus and Carrots with Parmesan Cheese just might be my new favorite!
*This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn a commission on qualifying purchases.
Also Check: Shenzhen Bak Battery Co Ltd
Roasted Cheesy Asparagus: Only 4 Steps
PrasannaDelicious,easy,under 30 mins roasted cheesy asparagus with garlic,will make you love this oven roasted asparagus recipe.Best side dish to go with grilled chicken,grilled fish ,rice or noodles.You are going to love garlic asparagus – this recipe of baked asparagus with cheese is going to be on your list of sides to try next.disclosure policy
Meal Prep And Storage
- To Prep-Ahead: Wash and trim the asparagus and keep in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days in advance.
- To Store: Leftover roasted lemon garlic asparagus will last in a refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. However, the texture is best immediately after cooking.
- To Freeze: Seal roasted asparagus in freezer-safe airtight container for up to 3 months.
- To Reheat: Return to a 350°F oven until heated through. You may also quickly pop it in the microwave.
You May Like: Protein In Bush’s Baked Beans
Garlic Parmesan Oven Roasted Asparagus
Oven Roasted Asparagus, made from fresh asparagus, olive oil, garlic, and parmesan, is a simple and easy vegetable side dish.
With very little prep and cook time, you end up with the most delicious, tender, vibrant green asparagus. If youre looking for a healthy vegetable to serve with dinner, this is the recipe!
Get The Latest Recipes Right In Your Inbox:
A quick and easy side dish with fresh lemon juice, garlic and Parmesan goodness, made with just 5 min prep!
Roasted asparagus is one of my absolute favorite side dishes ever. Its quick, easy, and pairs with almost every dish. But after I made the parmesan lemon zucchini last week, I decided to give that flavor combo a try with these. And boy, was I in for a treat.
Now this is just as simple as roasted asparagus with a few easy additions freshly squeezed lemon juice, pressed garlic, and a sprinkling of freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Thats it. But dont be fooled these three simple additions bring in so much flavor to such an easy side dish.
Best of all, you can control exactly how much lemon juice and Parmesan you want. And if you double the Parmesan cheese well, I definitely wont be the one judging. After all, you can never have too much Parmesan cheese!
Also Check: Baked Pork Chops With Ranch Dressing
Helpful Tips For Making Oven Roasted Parmesan Asparagus
- Look for good quality fresh asparagus that has a nice dark green color, looks plump on the stem and not shriveled and has clean crisp tips. Please see my section on properly storing asparagus.
- Use freshly grated Parmesan Cheese. It is flavor packed and it makes this recipe so tasty.
- Cook the asparagus just until they are tender which is usually about 10-15 minutes depending on the thickness of the asparagus. It should be just fork tender. Do not over roast as then it starts to shrivel, dry out and become tough.
- Plan on serving fairly promptly as it is best served warm while it is just a teeny bit crisp.
How To Season Asparagus
Here are some tasty ways to season roasted asparagus.
- Roasted Asparagus Parmesan. Sprinkle the roasted asparagus with freshly grated Parmesan cheese just before serving. You also can sprinkle on the cheese, then pop the asparagus back into the oven for a minute or two if youd like the cheese more melty.
- Roasted Asparagus with Lemon. Add a thinly sliced lemon to the pan with the asparagus prior to roasting. Finish the dish with an extra squeeze of fresh lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Spicy Roasted Asparagus. Add a pinch of red pepper flakes. This variation is especially good combined with the lemon and Parmesan suggested above.
- Balsamic Roasted Asparagus. Drizzle the asparagus with 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar during the last few minutes of cooking.
- Herbed Roasted Asparagus. Add dried herbs like basil, oregano, or Italian seasoning or finish with chopped fresh herbs like parsley .
- Nutty Roasted Asparagus. Top the asparagus with a sprinkle of toasted slivered almonds, chopped toasted pecans, or toasted pine nuts.
- Caramelized Onion Roasted Asparagus. Caramelize 1 large red onion. Place the asparagus on a serving platter and top with the onion.
- Garlic Asparagus. Sprinkle and toss the asparagus in garlic powder prior to roasting.
Prefer to make asparagus on the grill instead? Try this scrumptious Grilled Asparagus recipe.
Don’t Miss: Simple Baked Mac And Cheese
How To Cook Asparagus:
- Oven roasted – That is how this particularly recipe is made. To roast asparagus in the oven, you will just need to add a little fat like a high quality olive oil or melted butter to help make it crispy on the outside and give it some flavor. Things like parmesan cheese and garlic add incredibly flavor. When roasting asparagus in the oven, just remember to not crowd your pan. You need the hot air to touch each asparagus spear so that it roasts more than it steams.
- Sauteed – I think sauteed asparagus spears are just as good as oven roasted asparagus. Same rules apply – add a little fat, use a high heat, and don’t crowd your pan.
- Steamed – If you’re looking for the healthiest option, you can never go wrong with steamed vegetables. No fat is needed with this cooking method.
What To Serve With Crusted Parmesan Chicken Recipe
When I make this parmesan chicken breast recipe for dinner the ability to change things up with the side dishes we have with it is one of the reasons I love it so much.
I normally make parmesan asparagus and Creamy Parmesan Rice or Parmesan Risotto. We love Parmesan cheese, I wont deny that! But there are so many different recipes that go perfectly with this baked garlic parmesan chicken recipe.
Pasta. Just about any pasta will pair well, you can do it with a sauce like homemade spaghetti sauce, pumpkin pasta sauce, Alfredo sauce, avocado pasta sauce or simple like melted butter and a sprinkle of garlic.
Salad. Fresh made salads are always a go-to when I need something quick and easy, if you are looking for a tasty salad recipe, we have quite a few that we love including Olive Garden Copycat Salad, BLT Salad, Spinach strawberry salad and Caesar salad are our family favorites.
Also Check: Bak Revolver X2 Vs Truxedo Titanium