Extra Flavorful Butter Sauce
Weve talked about the best bread. I assume you can figure out what goes in the middle of ham and cheese sliders .
Now lets talk about what elevates these above and beyond your typical ham and cheese sandwich.
Once the sandwiches are assembled, whisk together some melted butter, spicy brown mustard, Worcestershire sauce, dried minced onion, garlic powder, poppy seeds, and a little pinch of salt. Spread this seasoned butter mixture on top of the rolls and bake!
These Slider Sandwiches Are A Sure
These slider sandwiches take the idea of a funeral sandwich and turn the flavor way up. Growing up, I always hated the name funeral sandwich, which seems to insinuate sadness. But the sandwiches are actually amazingly delicious. Theyre quick to put together, feed lots of people, and are loved by pretty much everyone who eats them.
To update the flavors, this recipe has a sweet and savory fig jam thats offset with Dijon mustard. And while the jam may sound like enough of a draw, caramelized onions are the star of the sandwich. The onion takes time to caramelize on the stove, but the result is a sweet flavor thats unmatched. Black Forest ham adds a salty, smoky flavor, and smoked gouda cheese pulls everything together.
Can you guess the one thing this recipe doesnt change? The sweet bread rolls. Theyre everyones favorite, and I would never consider using anything different.
Tips For The Best Hawaiian Roll Sliders
- When making baked ham and cheese sliders, you need to use Hawaiian rolls. Period, no discussion. Theyre slightly sweet, which pairs perfectly with the salty ham and cheese!
- If you have leftover Christmas or Easter ham, this sliders recipe is a wonderful way to use it up.
- If making the hot ham and cheese sliders in advance, wait to brush on the butter mixture until youre ready to bake them off. Otherwise the rolls will become soggy.
Read Also: Baked Potato Big Green Egg
Frequently Asked Questions About This Recipe
Can this be made with different slices of meat such as turkey or traditional ham?
Yes, the meat can be substituted for any variety of lunch meat. But the Black Forest ham has a smoky flavor that works well in the recipe.
Is there a different type of jam that can be used on these sandwiches in place of the fig jam?
Fig jam has the ability to work easily with sweet or savory foods. I would not substitute the jam for another flavor. Many other jams are too sweet and have a fruit-forward flavor.
Can these sandwiches be baked ahead and reheated before serving?
Yes, sort of. The butter that is brushed over the sandwiches before baking soaks into the buns and browns the tops. After the sandwiches are stored in the refrigerator as leftovers, the bottoms can become soggy. Reheat on the bottom rack of the oven to crisp them up slightly before eating.
How To Freeze Ham And Cheese Sliders
Once the sandwiches are assembled, you can either cover them with foil and bake in a 350°F oven for about 10-15 minutes or you can wrap the dish tightly and keep it in the freezer for up to 3 months.
This Ham and Cheese Sliders recipe is SO EASY — you can bake them directly from the freezer! Simply add 5-10 minutes to the total baking time to make sure that the cheese fully melts.
You May Like: Honey Baked Ham Charleston Sc
Whats The Best Baking Dish To Use
I make these sliders in a 9 x 13glass baking dish. The baking dish I use is one of my favorite Pioneer Woman pieces because its the perfect size and has really pretty glass bead work on the outside. I have multiple pieces of her collection. All of her stuff is so cute!
I prefer to use glass vs. metal casserole dishes when baking. Glass is easier to clean and food doesnt stick as easily. You can use steel wool on it without worrying about scrapping it. I use this pan use it a lot for breakfast casseroles, easy sheet cakes and of course these sliders!
Oh, and a package of Hawaiian rolls fits perfectly so its perfect for making this recipe.
Can The Sliders Be Frozen
Technically yes, but with sliders recipes like this I recommend enjoying them fresh from the oven.
However, if your options are to toss the sliders or try freezing them, I say freeze them. I imagine youd want to reheat them from frozen in a hot oven. You may wish to brush a little more of the butter mixture on top if they start to look at all dry.
Also Check: Honey Baked Ham Pensacola Fl
Ingredients Needed For These Baked Ham Sandwiches
Hawaiian Slider Rolls – These are small slider rolls that are sweet and so yummy! They are the best rolls to use for these sliders. You need 20 of them.
Deli Sliced Honey Ham – For best taste please go to the deli counter and ask for a pound of ham that is thinly sliced.
Shredded Swiss Cheese – Please do not buy the pre-shredded cheese. It does not melt as well or as smooth. Shred a 8 oz block of Swiss cheese.
Melted Butter – I always use salted butter.
Dried Minced Onion – These are the dried onion flakes. You will find them by the other seasonings in the grocery store.
Poppy Seeds – These can be found near the dried minced onions at the grocery store.
How To Prepare Ham And Cheese Sliders In Advance
Cut the bread and assemble the sandwiches with the sweet ham and Swiss. Then cover them well with plastic wrap. When ready to bake simply remove the assembled sandwiches from the refrigerator about 30 minutes prior to baking so that they warm to room temperature.
While the sandwiches are warming prepare the butter mixture. Remove the sandwiches from the wrap and place in a casserole dish. Then pour the butter mixture over the sandwiches using a pastry brush to spread it evenly over the top. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes or until the buns are lightly browned and the Swiss is melted.
Also Check: Honey Baked Ham Store Gainesville Va
Oven Baked Ham And Cheese Sliders Recipe
I love a quick and easy meal that comes together in minutes. Its even better when everyone in the family raves about how good it is, which doesnt always happen in my house with some picky kids. These oven baked ham and cheese sliders have become a go-to busy weeknight meal. Not only that, but they are the perfect food to take to a party or to eat during football season while you watch the big game!
If you love easy sliders, you definitely want to check out our Turkey Cranberry Sliders as well!
Why Youll Love This Recipe
- You can make these ham and cheese sliders with brown sugar or honey. The sweetness pairs well with the ham and sweet Hawaiian rolls.
- This recipe is super easy to throw together for a crowd because you do not have to assemble individual sandwiches.
- These ham and cheese sliders without poppy seeds have the most flavorful honey dijon parmesan butter topping. I promise you wont miss the seeds.
- These sliders are not soggy. The outside is toasted and the inside is soft.
- Hot ham cheese sliders are both adult and kid friendly. Truly a delicious crowd pleaser that your whole family will love.
- Serve these as an appetizer or lunch for holiday gathering or game-day.
You May Like: How Long To Bake Chicken Breast At 350
Baking Tips And Tricks And Faq
- With this oven baked ham and cheese slider ecipe, there is a ton of flexibility. We used swiss cheese and balck forest ham, but you can be creative and do any kind of ham and any type of cheese.
- Test different mustards. We love dijon mustard with this recipe, but yellow mustard tastes good too. Try some flavored mustards for an even better treat!
- If you dont like mustard, you can omit it, but you want to replace it with a different sauce. If you dont it will make these sliders soggy.
What To Serve With Ham And Cheese Sliders
If you’re serving the baked ham and cheese sliders as a part of a larger appetizer spread for a party, here are some other ideas that go well with the little sandwiches:
Don’t Miss: Johnny’s Take And Bake Pizza
More Party Sliders Recipes:
Pepperoni Pizza Sliders Pizza by way of supremely cheesy sliders!! EASY, ready in 15 minutes, and perfect for parties because everyone LOVES them! Totally IRRESISTIBLE!!
Beer and Bourbon BBQ Chicken Sliders Chicken is cooked with beer and bourbon before being soaked in bbq sauce! So juicy, flavorful, easy, and ready in 25 minutes!
Caramelized Onion and Portobello Mushroom Sliders with Fry Sauce Meatless comfort food at its finest! Hearty, satisfying and so good!
Ranch Chicken and Swiss Sliders Tender chicken is coasted in tangy ranch dressing and topped with Swiss cheese. Its all nestled in soft, sweet Hawaiian rolls with a buttery Dijon, onion, and poppy seed topping.
Hawaiian Ham and Cheese Sliders Grilled pineapple slices brushed with a soy and ginger marinade add a Hawaiian-inspired twist to these irresistible sandwiches!
Originally published August 2016, updated April 2019, and republished January 15, 2021.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
originally published January 15, 2021 August 9, 2022//219
Hot Ham And Cheese Sliders: The Easiest Game Day Snack
As someone who is really just into the big game for the snacks, I of course take my game day menu very seriously.
In the past I have thrown together Instant Pot Pulled Pork, but this year I am all about these easy Ham and Cheese Sliders.
The first time I made these sliders, my family inhaled them. As much as I love them for game day, theyre also perfect for an easy weeknight dinner or family movie/game night snack.
If your kids are old enough for sleepovers, I think theyd be super fun for sleepover snacks as well!
As great as the combo of ham, cheese, and Hawaiian rolls is, its the buttery herb topping that really takes these sliders over-the-top.
Read Also: Baked Pork Chops And Rice Recipe
Tips For Making Ham And Swiss Sliders
- I encourage you to use Hawaiian rolls when making any sort of sliders- I’ve tested a variety of different rolls for various slider recipes and Hawaiian rolls always add the best flavor and are the easiest to cut.
- If you can, try to keep the tops of the rolls and the bottoms each in one piece when you cut them in half. I use a really sharp bread knife and slowly cut through the middle, making sure to keep an eye on both sides so as not to thin out the tops or bottoms too much.
- Baking the bottom buns for a few minutes helps to avoid the honey mustard sauce making the bottom buns get soggy.
- I gave a range of the amounts of ham and cheese slices you’ll need because each brand is a little different in terms of size.
- Don’t skip the butter and poppy seed topping for the buns, trust me! That butter mixture adds killer flavor
- If you want extra honey mustard sauce for dipping, double those ingredients.
Why Youll Love This Hawaiian Roll Ham Sliders Recipe:
- EASY TO MAKE: Easy is a must for all my recipes, and these couldnt be easier to make for a crowd. They have just 6 ingredients, and take about 30 minutes to make.
- PERFECT PARTY FOOD: These little sliders make great finger food for parties. Serve them on game day, at a BBQ, or even a kids party.
- KID-FRIENDLY: These hot ham sliders are great for kids and the whole family. Theyre the perfect size for little ones, but flavorful enough for the hungry adults.
This Ham Sliders recipe checks all the big boxes: they are quick, easy, super delicious, and they re-heat well. They make an easy lunch when you just want something thats simple but tastes GOOD.
These are cheesy, savory, and a little bit sweet, and I think thats the perfect combination.
This Hawaiian Roll Sliders recipe is the perfect simple meal to make for your family. Kids and adults alike will love these little Ham and Swiss Sliders!
Read Also: Holiday Baked Goods Gift Ideas
How To Make This Recipe
Heres how to make this yummy Ham and Cheese Slider recipe, step by step. Its simple!
- First, cut the entire block of Hawaiian rolls in half.
- Layer ham slices, folded in half, on top of bottom half of rolls.
- Add Havarti cheese squares.
- Melt butter and add onion powder, poppy seeds, Dijon mustard and Worcestershire sauce to form sauce.
- Add tops of rolls then brush with butter sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake!
For full recipe instructions, see below!
Watch the video beneath the recipe to see these steps in action!
How Do You Prevent Your Sliders From Getting Soggy
One of the most asked questions is how do you prevent your baked ham and cheese sliders from getting soggy. You first want to make sure you keep all your buns together. Separating them allows liquids to seep down and make the bread soggy. Next, rather than pour the butter mixture on top, brush it on with a pastry brush. This prevents liquid from draining down the sides and making the bread soggy.
Recommended Reading: How To Bake Frozen Fries
Variations Of This Recipe
- Leftover ham we normally use sliced deli ham for this because its something we usually have at home anyway, but this recipe is perfect for leftover Christmas or Easter ham!
- Rolls any slider buns/rolls will work for this recipe. Hawaiian, potato, or butter slider rolls are my favorites. Leftover homemade dinner rolls will also work!
- Pan you can use any rectangular baking pan that both packages of rolls will fit into. You could also use a baking sheet, but make sure its one that has a rim. You dont want to clean up any melted honey butter from the bottom of your oven!
- Cheese Swiss cheese is the usual go-to for these sliders, but sliced provolone, Muenster, or Havarti cheese are other great options.
- Sauce feel free to add more of less of the sauce ingredients , per your tastes.
What I Love About This Recipe:
- Great for a crowd: Theyre inexpensive, fast and easy to make and everyone always loves them! I usually double the batch for our family so we can have leftovers!
- Easy to Make-Ahead: Perfect for busy weeknights, or something a babysitter could pop in the oven.
- No Poppy seeds: Many baked slider recipes use poppy seeds in the sauce, but I dont because I dont think they add any necessary flavor, and no one likes seeds in their teeth!
Don’t Miss: Where To Sell Your Baked Goods
Make Ahead & Reheating
Can I make them ahead of time? You can assemble the actual sandwich and mix the butter topping, but I would wait to cover in butter and bake until ready to serve.
Can I reheat them? You can reheat anything, but it rarely tastes as good as it did fresh. Microwave or a quick jaunt in the oven at 350 degrees wrapped in aluminum foil will do the trick.
To be honest you probably wont have any leftovers!
Can I freeze ham and cheese sliders? I dont recommend freezing these as a sandwich. They will most likely thaw being a soggy.
What Sides To Serve With Ham And Cheese Sliders
Party foods always call for party sides! When you dont have room for everyone at the table, stick to handheld sides like our Crispy Homemade Onion Rings.
Pasta salad is my first stop at every party. This Easy BLT Pasta Salad will give you new ideas about what pasta salad can be. Casseroles are easy party favorites, and our Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole brings the richness and fluffy potatoes to the table.
Check out other awesome appetizer recipes!
Tools used to make Ham and Cheese Sliders
Casserole Dish: This simple and elegant serving dish goes from oven to table! Its a staple at our dinner table and I know it will be at your table too!
Mixing Bowl: These mixing bowls are perfect for mixing and serving. I love the varied sizes so I always have the right size bowl for all my mixing needs.
*This post originally posted on 01/19/2019.
You May Like: Honey Baked Ham Severna Park
Baked Ham And Cheese Sliders
The Chunky Chef09/14/2022
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These Baked Ham and Cheese Sliders are made with pillowy and sweet Hawaiian slider buns, savory black forest ham, gooey Swiss cheese, and topped with a buttery honey dijon sauce flecked with onion and poppy seeds! Theyre the perfect appetizer for game day or any party, and will feed a crowd!
This is one of my Appetizer recipes I know youll want to keep on hand!
Were coming up on prime party food season, which is one of my favorites! Between game day parties and holiday gatherings, youll want to have some easy appetizer recipes in your back pocket.
This slider recipe is definitely an easy recipe! Made with simple and common ingredients, ham and cheese sliders are absolutely loaded with flavor.
In the Southern US, this type of slider may be referred to as funeral sandwiches/funeral sliders. The name might sound morbid, but just my like Funeral Potatoes, they got the name since they were a common thing to be laid out at funerals, wakes, and other church gatherings.
The soft and fluffy rolls are packed with plenty of salty and savory ham and cheese, then the tops of the rolls are slathered in the most mouthwatering buttery honey dijon sauce!
You can also make these sliders ahead of time, and even freeze them!
So whether youre hosting the party, or just attending, you can serve/bring the party food everyone will be talking about.