A Few Potato Boiling Tips
- Salt the water. Once the water comes to a boil, generously salt the water. This will flavor the potatoes, which in turn will make the salad that much more delicious. If the potato salad tastes flat or bland, the potatoes were probably under-seasoned. My rule of thumb: add 1 teaspoon salt to every 4 cups of water.
- Start the potatoes in cold water. When boiling potatoes, its important they start in cold water because this allows the potatoes to cook evenly
- Check the potatoes often. If the potatoes cook too long in the water, theyll end up mushy or water-logged. Check them often for tenderness as soon as you can pierce the potatoes with a fork, theyre ready.
How To Avoid A Watery Potato Salad
A watery potato salad is likely caused by mixing the potatoes with the dressing while theyre still hot, which causes the potatoes to sweat and release water. The warm potatoes will also melt the dressing which makes it more watery/oily. The good news is, its very easy to avoid a watery potato salad by following these simple rules:
- Use an ice bath to cool the potatoes. An ice bath will quickly cool the potatoes through and through as opposed to just rinsing them which only cools the surface of the potatoes.
- Thoroughly drain the potatoes. The boiled potatoes will be full of water so make sure you sufficiently drain them in a colander after they have been submerged in the ice bath.
- Chill the potato salad before serving. Chilling the potato salad in the refrigerator for at least an hour will thicken the dressing and help it set.
Ranch Baked Potato Salad
What is it about Ranch dressing that is just so likable? I love it on my lettuce salad and to dip baby carrots in, but this recipe is one of my favorite ways to use the bottled dressing. Ranch Baked Potato Salad is a simple, throw together, side dish that is a great addition to a grilled steak or these delicious ham balls.
Potato salad I believe is the quintessential side kick for any backyard BBQ. I loved my grandmas classic version with mustard and hard-boiled eggs, but this version which is a play on a loaded baked potato is the bees knees!
This recipe calls for cooking the potatoes by boiling them first.
But Ill let you in on a little secret. Sometimes I use leftover baked potatoes from a prior meal, when I overestimated the amount to cook. A great way to re-make the potatoes into something slightly different.
The dressing has so much flavor with the help of the ranch and mustard.
It is a super quick salad to just throw together and one that doesnt require any special ingredients you dont already have on hand, perfect to make and take for any last-minute soiree.
- 2lbsPotatoes , cut into one inch pieces
- 8slicesBacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2cupRanch Salad Dressing
- 3TbspSour Cream
- 1TbspPrepared Yellow Mustard
- 1/2cupShredded Cheddar Cheese
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Read Also: Baked Pork Chops And Rice
Loaded Bacon Ranch Potato Salad Recipe
The best summer recipes are all the side dishes! Yes there are all the amazing grilling recipes like Grilled Steak, shish kabobs, grilled chicken, grilled salmon, hot dogs, sausage and hamburgers but the side dishes really make the summer meals.
Ranch is my favorite potato salad flavor. Yes of course classic potato salad is amazing, there is no denying that but add some ranch dressing and bacon and you have the most amazing potato salad recipe ever! This is seriously the best potato salad recipe ever, my kids always ask for me to make it all summer long!
Ranch Potato Salad Notes
- I usually leave the skins on the potatoes. It adds color and a bit of texture. Plus, its not worth the trouble to peel them with thin potato skins, there isnt much of a difference.
- Make in advance. While Ranch Potato Salad isnt a major time drain, it may take longer than you think. The potatoes take a good amount of time to prepare, cook, and cool. After the rest of the salad is put together, it also needs to chill for a bit. As the salad chills, the flavors intensify and meld everything tastes better cold instead of at room temperature, so dont rush the chilling times.
- Make sure to thoroughly drain the potatoes. Thoroughly drain the potatoes after simmering. I highly recommend giving them enough time to drain and dry before using them in the saladotherwise you may end up with a watery, less-flavorful Ranch Potato Salad.
- Use a good ranch seasoning mix. While you can certainly make your own, the idea of this salad is quick and easy! We like Hidden Valley Ranch® seasoning mix best and have found other brands to lack flavor.
Don’t Miss: 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Dog Treats No Bake
How To Make Potato Salad
You are going to love how easy this Loaded Potato Salad is to make lets get cooking!
- Step 1: Cook the potatoes. Add potatoes to a large pot and fill with water to about 1-inch above potatoes. Bring to a boil and then season with 1 ½ tablespoons salt. Reduce heat to a simmer and continue to cook for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are easily pierced with a fork. Drain potatoes and transfer to a water bath. Once cool, peel and cube potatoes.
- Step 2: Cook the bacon. While the potatoes are simmering, cook the bacon. To cook bacon, start it in a large, cold/unheated cast iron skillet without any oil. Working in batches, lay the strips of bacon in a single layer. Increase heat to medium and cook until browned and crispy, flipping occasionally. Drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Step 3: Make the dressing. Whisk together all of Dressing ingredients together in a medium bowl set aside.
- Step 4: Assemble. Add bacon, cheese, green onions and the homemade dressing to the COOLED potatoes. Stir until evenly coated.
- Step 5: Serve. Serve the potato salad immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve. If the salad seems a little dry, stir in additional sour cream/mayo or a drizzle of olive oil. This potato salad can be served chilled, room temperature or warm.
How Long Can I Store Potato Salad In The Fridge
Potato salad should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. When properly stored, its good for up to 5 days, but at its prime within the first 24 hours. After a day it wont be as creamy, so I suggest microwaving leftovers for 30 seconds or so and you will be amazed at how their creamy glory is restored!
Read Also: Bush’s Baked Beans With Sausage
Is This Potato Salad Served Hot Or Cold
Loaded Potato Salad can be served chilled, room temperature or warmed. I have tried it all three ways and while each is delicious, I am partial to room temperature or warmed. Room temperature works out well because you dont have to stress about the salad staying chilled when taking it to a potluck. Just let the salad come to room temperature for about 30 minutes before serving
How Do You Make The Perfect Bacon Ranch Potato Salad
Potato salad is super easy to make but youll need to plan ahead as the potatoes have to cool before adding the dressing and then once assembled, it has to be refrigerated for at least 30 minutes, even longer if possible.
Step 1:Cook the potatoes, drain and run under cold water, let dry. While cooking cook bacon in a skillet until crispy and remove to a paper towel lined plate.
Step 2: Prepare homemade ranch dressing and combine with sour cream or add a cup of bottled ranch dressing to a cup of sour cream.
Step 3:To a large bowl, add potatoes, grated cheese, part of the cooked bacon and green onions and pour the dressing over the top and gently stir to combine.
Step 4:Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Top with reserved bacon and extra green onions prior to serving.
Recommended Reading: Aldi Take And Bake Bread
Bacon Ranch Potato Salad Tips And Variations
- Dont over-boil the potatoes. Otherwise, they end up waterlogged and fall apart.
- Cook the potatoes in salted water for a little bit of flavor.
- Drain potatoes well otherwise excess water will dilute the dressing and make it less tasty.
- Add heat If you love spicy food, add a bit of crushed red pepper or diced jalapenos to the salad.
- Add other meats feel free to add in some shredded cooked chicken or ham.
Making The First Potato Salad
As the popularity of the potato spread, so did its uses. In Germany, potato salad was created as a way of using up leftover roasted or boiled potatoes. In the southern Bavarian region, inexpensive ham or bacon were added, and the drippings were combined with vinegar to make the dressing, this is what we know as German Potato Salad. In northern Germany, most potato salads are mayonnaise-based with the addition of hard-boiled eggs and pickles.
You May Like: No Bake Spinach Dip With Cream Cheese
Loaded Potato Salad Recipe
On the other hand, if youre looking for some next-level potato salad that causes a little party to take place on your tongue with every bite, my loaded potato salad is the one for you.
Because on my goodness, you guys its just THAT good. ?
RELATED: Check out my loaded cauliflower casserole for more over-the-top goodness!
Have you ever been browsing through the reviews on popular recipe sites to see how other people may have doctored-up the recipe to make it better?
Well, this delicious loaded potato salad recipe is already doctored-up beyond recognition . Its truly LOADED with flavor, and while the ingredients list is a little longer than the ones I typically post, every single flavor works together to create something so scrumptious that I dream about it.
This is the potato salad recipe that I make when Im hosting a cookout at my home during the summer and I want my guests to be thinking about that BOMB potato salad the next day. Its my special, pulling out all the stops potato salad.
While its definitely packed with goodness its not difficult to make at all.
You basically cant go wrong when youre mixing together a bunch of ingredients that are as tasty as the ones in this loaded potato salad recipe. Sure, it may look like a hot mess when youre done, but who cares?
Loaded Ranch Baked Potato Salad
I was never a huge potato salad fan, until now. This Loaded Ranch Baked Potato Salad is the bomb! It is one of those dishes that whenever I make it, I always get asked for the recipe. It wasnt until recently when I received numerous requests that I decided to blog about it. So here it is.enjoy!
Read Also: Honey Baked Ham Rome Ga
How Long Do You Need To Boil Potatoes For Potato Salad
The trick for potato salad is to cook the potatoes just enough but not so much that they get mushy. To get perfectly cooked new potatoes, start by cutting them into even 1 inch pieces. Larger pieces will cause the smaller pieces to cook too much. Add to cold water and then bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer and cook uncovered for about 8-10 minutes. You want a fork to pierce them easily without the potato falling apart.
Why Make This Recipe
- Versatile works for any occasion including spring and summer gatherings, picnics, 4th of July celebration, potlucks, and lunch boxes!
- Feeds a Crowd triple this recipe to feed a big crowd.
- Affordable it is made with affordable everyday ingredients.
- Leftovers a great way to use up leftover potatoes.
- Dietary it is gluten free.
Don’t Miss: Honey Baked Ham Charlotte Nc
Making Ahead And Storage Instructions
The fun part about salad is that it tastes better on the second day. Yes! You read it right! With that said, it is recommended that you make this red potato salad with bacon a day before.
- Storethem in an air-tight container. They can stay fresh inside the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Freeze. Potato salad with ranch dressing can be frozen for up to 3 months. However, since we are using a mayo-based dressing, the texture and consistency will be different. Because mayo tends to separate when frozen.
- Thaw. Remember to thaw the frozen salad inside the fridge overnight and not on the counter to prevent bacterial growth.
Note: Mayo or other egg-based ingredients tends to separate when frozen. To fix this, just add a couple of spoons of mayo dressing and a dash of seasoning the bacon ranch potato salad before serving.
How To Make Loaded Potato Salad
This salad is super easy to make. Boil some potatoes. Cook up some crispy bacon. Throw everything in a bowl and mix, and thats it!
Okay, there are couple more steps than just that
More potato goodness!!
Also Check: Taco Mac And Cheese Bake
Potato Salad With A Modern Twist
When I am in my kitchen, I let Nanas version inspire me while I add a few of my own modern touches and updated techniques, like steaming the potatoes rather than boiling them. This recipe blends the delicious comforts of traditional potato salad with another American favorite: ranch dressing.
Rather than cracking open a bottle or tearing open a packet, I shake up a quick, fresh version in a Ball jar with an abundance of herbs, garlic, and rich buttermilk. It easily demystifies and celebrates the green-flecked, store-bought kind, and is irresistible when turned into a bowl of soft, just-cooked potatoes. A generous shower of green herbs on top to finish make it a mouthwatering showstopper worthy of any table.
Bacon Ranch Potato Salad
A creamy and delicious potato salad with amazing ranch flavor and bacon! This is the perfect side to take to a potluck and is sure to be a huge hit!
Is anyone else struggling to get through these last couple days of school? I have been counting down the minutes that my kids get out of school. I am pretty sure that I am just as excited as they are about school being out. My kids have been lucky to be dressed and to school on time. Every morning when my alarm goes off I am tempted to keep them home because it is the last week! But then I remember that I am now the responsible parent and so I drag myself out of bed. But I keep telling myself it is only two more days and I can do it!
I am ready for summer. And I am ready for all of the barbecues! It is my favorite part of summer. I LOVE finding new side dishes to take. And this Bacon Ranch Potato Salad will blow your mind!
I love the bacon ranch combo. Ranch is one of our favorites! And when you add bacon to anything it makes it amazing. But as soon as I had my first bite of this potato salad I was amazed. This is the best potato salad that I have had to date. It has simple and delicious ingredients and comes together in no time at all.
You guys are going to love it! I promise that it will become a favorite and be the perfect side for your next potluck!
Don’t Miss: Hidden Valley Ranch Baked Potatoes
What You Need For Homemade Ranch Dressing
To save time, feel free to use your favorite bottled dressing. However, making this homemade ranch dressing ups this potato salads flavor game in the best way. Ive doubled the dressing recipe so theres plenty to be absorbed into the potatoes.
Heres what youll need for this homemade Ranch dressing:
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Loaded Baked Potato Salad Recipe
This scrumptious loaded baked potato salad gives us one more amazing way to celebrate our love of this awesome tuber. Whether you enjoy them baked smashed, mashed, or fried they’re always a happy sight to see on the dinner table. For more potato salad inspiration checkout this recipe for Instant Pot Potato Salad from Pressure Cooking Today.
Also Check: Hidden Valley Ranch Baked Pork Chops