Healthy Zucchini & Squash Casserole Recipe
Healthy, simple, and fabulous, this Zucchini and Squash Casserole is the best low-carb recipe for Summer squash! Yellow squash and zucchini are baked in the oven to perfection with a crispy crust made from Parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs. This easy casserole is amazing for Summer picnics and potlucks, and makes the perfect side dish for any holiday dinner!
Squash And Zucchini Casserole
Whats more cozy than a squash and zucchini casserole? This recipe’s got the vibe of Sunday dinners and summer evenings where the sun stretches into the late evening. It’s packed with flavor and quickly disappeared in our house. A light Parmesan sauce covers the tender squash, and its topped with crunchy breadcrumbs. Its a comfy casserole thats not too rich and heavy. Honestly, we couldnt stop ourselves from shoveling in bites.
Make It A Meal Ways To Serve It
This healthy roasted zucchini and squash goes with so many different main dishes! The Mediterranean vibe is customizable to lots of different meal options. You can even throw it into pasta . Here are a few great ways that we like to serve it, with a focus on summer dinners:
Keywords: Roasted zucchini and squash
Read Also: Baked By Melissa Nut Free
What Goes With Zucchini And Squash Casserole
- Salmon: Try this casserole as a side to accompany a beautiful entree of Old Bay Roasted Salmon. The salmons classic seasoning will pair perfectly with the cheesy vegetables!
- Chicken: These Pan-Seared Cajun Butter Chicken Thighs are an easy recipe that goes with just about anything, especially a creamy, garlicky side like Cheesy Squash Casserole!
- Banana Pudding: Thanks to its light, vanilla-accented flavor profile and foamy meringue topping, this tasty traditional Southern Banana Pudding is a fantastic follow-up to squash casserole.
What To Serve With Parmesan Baked Squash And Zucchini Spears
If youre interested in using these parmesan baked squash and zucchini spears in a meal, rather than just stuffing your face with them all on their ownlike err some people, then I recommend serving them with a simple meat. Here are some great examples for proteins that would go great with this side:
These would all go fabulously with these zucchini and squash spears so the flavors dont all start competing with each-other.
Recommended Reading: Glass Baked Goods Display Case
Expert Tips And Tricks
- Use a mandoline. This gives you the most precise slices so they all cook at a similar rate.
- Sprinkle a little salt to prevent a soggy mess. Let the salted squash sit, then blot dry. The salt releases excess moisture.
- Try out Italian breadcrumbs. Since theyre pre-seasoned and often contain salt, you will have to adjust the other seasoning ingredients.
- Broil it at the end. This gives it a great crunchy topping.
- Use all of one squash If its all you have, either use all zucchini or all yellow squash.
Baked Zucchini And Squash
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This vegan baked zucchini and squash is a delicious summer vegetable side dish made with tomato sauce, zucchini, yellow squash, and fresh herbs.
Each summer, as the garden veggies start to pile up in my kitchen, I find myself returning to a few of my favorite recipes again and again.
As soon as the garden hot peppers begin to stack up in my crisper drawer, I make homemade hot sauce.
Make sure youre following along with to see my tomatoes and hot peppers growing bigger and bigger!
And when we have lots of eggplant and zucchini, we love eating my vegan ratatouille. Its a family favorite.
As you probably know, when a recipe is a favorite, it tends to get tweaked and changed depending on my mood or whats available in the kitchen that day.
And guys, I think Ive made every possible variation of ratatouille.
Recently, one of my favorite versions didnt actually include any eggplant or fresh tomatoes, so Im not sure if it can technically be called ratatouille anymore.
Instead, well call this dish baked zucchini and squash. It doesnt sound quite as fancy, but its equally delicious.
This French-inspired baked zucchini and squash is a perfect way to use a bunch of summer squash at once. Its a healthy veggie side dish that brings out all the best flavors from your delicious garden harvest.
You May Like: Baked Apple Cider Donuts New York Times
Zucchini And Squash Casserole Recipe
Zucchini and yellow squash are some of the overlooked vegetables that somehow magically reappear during the summer months and at a Thanksgiving table.
I first discovered my love of cooking with this delightful combo when Cohl started coming home with enormous bags full of fresh summer produce from a fellow dentist at his office.
After making a few batches of this Sauteed Zucchini and Squash, I started to run out of new recipe ideas.
And then one week he came home and the bag was packed to the brim with yellow summer squash and zucchini.
It would be a sin to let them all go bad, so I had to brainstorm a new summer recipe.
Squash casserole has always been one of my favorite summertime side dishes.
But this time it would be a healthier version that was still simple to make and baked in the oven.
Why Should You Make Roasted Squash And Zucchini
Summertime is a high time for most of the vegetables, including squash and its several types. Although you might find them all around the year, in summers, these seem fresher and more vibrant. One of the most favorite vegetables during this season includes squash and zucchini. Thats because these are versatile.
There is so much you can make with these. From making spaghetti to roasting them, the sky is the limit. I particularly love roasting them, and you should do too! Here is why you should try this fantastic roasted squash and zucchini recipe:
- It is super easy to make. The maximum time you need will be slicing and roasting it. You can get this dish on a plate in literally 20 minutes. Its a perfect choice for a quick dinner.
- It is flavorsome. Apart from the spices and seasonings you add to give the flavor of the vegetables, you will also get a mild, rich, and slightly sweet taste of the vegetables. The best part is you can add whatever spice you want, and the final product will come out just perfect.
- Roasted squash and zucchini are very healthy dishes. Both vegetables are jam-packed with nutrients and offer vitamins and minerals. So, if you are on a diet or following a healthy lifestyle, I prefer you make this dish today!
- Lastly, it is vegan. So, for those who are on a vegan diet, it cant get any better!
You May Like: Diy Cat Treats No Bake
How To Roast Summer Squash And Zucchini
Start by prepping and chopping the veggies. Try to keep them similar in size so they cook in the same amount of time smaller pieces cook quicker and larger pieces take longer to cook. Place the chopped squash, zucchini, onion and garlic in a large bowl and drizzle with oil. Stir until all of the veggies are well coated and then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Spread the mixture out on a large rimmed baking sheet and roast at 425ºF for 30 minutes. Stir once halfway through cooking and thats it your zucchini and squash should be golden and tender, but still a little crisp.
Roasted Squash And Zucchini
With our garden bursting at its seams with fresh produce, our family is always looking for new ways to enjoy the fruits of our labor. Roasted vegetables are always a favorite in our home and a great way to utilize the harvest. The two vegetables we always grow at home since theyre so bountiful, easy, and inexpensive are zucchini and tomatoes. This is the first year we added yellow squash too!
This baked zucchini and squash dish is a perfect way to do just that! Loaded with fresh zucchini, squash, tomatoes, and onions, these roasted veggies are ideal for gluten-free eaters, as well as low-carb and keto fans. If you are looking to make roasted squash and zucchini work for dairy-free and vegan diets, simply forgo the parmesan cheese.
You May Like: How To Bake Gluten Free
Grilled Zucchini And Squash
One of the easiest zucchini and squash recipes? Grilled Throw this pair on the grill with Italian-style spices and grill until theyre charred and tender. Its the perfect side dish for a grilled meal on the patio. Add big flavor with Italian seasonings like basil and oregano, and they taste incredible.
Shopping List For Ranch Roasted Zucchini Recipe:
- Olive Oil Spray
Special Tip: You can find all the measurements in the recipe card below. There you can choose how many servings of this ranch roasted zucchini and squash recipe you want to make, and it will do all the measurement math for you! All of the ingredients for this ranch roasted zucchini oven baked recipe can be doubled or tripled with the click of a button.
Up next, how to make baked zucchini recipes healthy and quick
Recommended Reading: Baked Lay’s Bbq Chips Small Bag
Herb Roasted Zucchini And Carrots
· once the better is melted, add the zucchini and carrots herb roasted zucchini and carrots
Best Easy Roasted Vegetables Recipe – Chew Out Loud from www.chewoutloud.com
Preparation · preheat the oven to 400°f . Line a baking sheet with foil. · once the better is melted, add the zucchini and carrots. 2 cups zucchini sliced, optional yellow squash · 1 cup yellow squash sliced · 2 cups carrots sliced · 1 tablespoon oregano fresh, chopped · 2 . Roast zucchini and broccoli together or carrots and potatoes. That frees me up to start the gravy. Less hearty vegetables like yellow squash, zucchini or bell peppers will roast quicker. Garlic roasted carrots and zucchini · preheat the oven to 400 f and line a baking tray with tin foil.
OVEN ROASTED CHICKEN WITH VEGETABLES – Your Recipe Blog from yourrecipeblog.com
Keep heartier veggies, like beets and carrots, together on one pan . Zucchini spears that are seasoned with parmesan and herbs and baked to. Line a baking sheet with foil. Your favorite vegetables such as zucchini, eggplant, carrots, tomatoes, bell peppers and onions roasted in olive oil with herbs, garlic and lemon. Instructions · preheat oven to 400f . Preparation · preheat the oven to 400°f . · transfer the carrots to a baking sheet . Roasted vegetables bring out sweet flavor notes of all the veggies and.
- Total Time: PT51M
How To Make Zucchini Squash Gratin
You dont want a side dish that is super complicated, especially for Thanksgiving. This recipe is so easy, which is exactly what you want! You can even make it a day ahead and pop it into the oven right before your Thanksgiving feast. Here are the basic steps:
These instructions can also be found in the recipe card at the end of this post.
You May Like: Baked Zucchini And Squash Parmesan
Roasted Zucchini Squash & Tomatoes
Oh summer, how I love you and all the fresh fruit and veggies you provide. During the summer I always have a generous stock of fruits and vegetables in my fridge then winter rolls around and thats a different story.
Its like that abundance of nutritious, vitamin packed fruits and veggies gets traded in for an abundance of cavity causing, non-diet-friendly holiday sweets, but I wont complain there. I love my sweets. But I also love a sheet pan full of roasted zucchini, tomatoes and other yummy veggies!
Preparing Squash For Casserole
To get the Summer squash ready to bake there are a few things to do.
First, you need to slice it into uniform pieces. You can either use a mandoline , or you can thinly slice them by hand.
You want them to be ¼-inch thick. If they end up thicker, it will need to cook longer. If thinner, it will likely be soggy instead of crisp.
Next, sprinkle salt over all of the sliced squash and let sit for 10 minutes. Then wipe away any excess moisture that forms with a paper towel.
This little trick allows the sliced zucchini and squash to release a large amount of the water they retain. It will help you to get a crispy, and not soggy, casserole.
Don’t Miss: Honey Baked Ham Hickory Nc
How To Make Oven Roasted Zucchini And Squash
Making roasted squash and zucchini is super easy. It takes no more than 25 minutes to get it on the plate. With readily available ingredients, here are simple steps you have to follow for perfect results:
1: Wash the vegetables and pat them dry. Using a sharp knife, slice the squash and zucchini into ¼ inch thick slices. You dont need to peel them. It is a personal preference.
2: Place the sliced vegetables and garlic in a large bowl.
3: Drizzle olive oil on top. Add Italian seasoning, paprika, and salt. Mix well so that the seasonings are combined.
4: Place the vegetables on a parchment-lined baking tray. Make sure they are placed in a single layer.
5: Place the baking tray in a preheated oven at 400-degree F for about 20 minutes.
6: Halfway into the cook, flip the vegetables so that they get a nice color on both sides.
7: When the time is up, and the vegetables get a nice golden color, remove the baking tray from the oven.
8: Serve hot.
Oven Roasted Zucchini And Squash
Oven Roasted Zucchini and Squash: a delicious and easy way to serve up some summer produce. Sprinkled with a touch of seasoning on a bit of parmesan cheese these make a great summer side dish.
I love adding veggie dishes to complete a meal and roasting veggies is one of the easiest ways to make a side dish for your family that tastes great and is simple. Whether its roasted parmesan green beans, roasted parmesan asparagus or this zucchini and squash recipe
Recommended Reading: What Temperature Do You Bake Peanut Butter Cookies At
Tips And Tricks For Perfect Roasted Squash And Zucchini
Although making roasted squash and zucchini is pretty straightforward, we will have to take care of a few things for better results:
- Make sure all the slices are of equal sizes. This way, the vegetables will cook evenly.
- If you dont want to slice the vegetables, you can dice them into small pieces as well. Diced vegetables also cook at the same time. Again, make sure they are even in size.
- Most people prefer not to peel the vegetables. It is convenient and saves time as well. However, if you dont like the skin, you can peel it before cooking.
- You can add more vegetables like onions to make the dish more vibrant.
- If you dont want to add whole garlic cloves, you can add garlic powder as well.
- To bring in more flavor, add jerk seasoning to the vegetables. It will taste great.
Meal Prep And Storage
You totally can prep-ahead and have this side dish ready-to-go when you are. This is especially handy when it comes to preparing a healthy casserole for a backyard BBQ, picnic, or Thanksgiving day.
- To Prep-Ahead: Follow all directions but wait to bake until youre ready to serve. Cover tightly with foil and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature and bake according to directions.
- To Store: If there happen to be leftovers, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- To Reheat: Preheat your oven to 300°. In an oven-proof dish bake the zucchini and squash for 10-12 minutes or until heated through. You can also broil the casserole again for 1-2 minutes to bring back some of that crunchy topping.
Also Check: How Long Do You Bake Garlic Bread
How To Make Baked Zucchini Crispy
First, start out by patting the zucchini dry after youve sliced it with paper towels. This can help absorb some of the extra moisture.
To make baked zucchini crispy, coat the sliced zucchini in Parmesan. Press all sides of the zucchini slice into the coating before placing it on a baking tray to bake. This will create a thick coating thats crunchy when baked.
Wondering How To Cook Zucchini
When it comes to how to cook zucchini, its usually best to keep things simple. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Do you have to peel zucchini? Nope! Theres no need to peel zucchini. In fact, the skin is a big source of zucchini nutrition so you definitely want to leave the skin on.
- How to cut zucchini: after giving the zucchini squash a good rinse under cold water, slice off the stem and discard it. The rest is edible and delicious so just slice it up into strips coins or even half-moons. Or, you could forego the knife entirely and grate your zucchini, which is the first step towards beautiful crisp zucchini fritters.
Don’t Miss: Temp To Bake Apple Pie
Spices For Roasted Zucchini
This recipe includes my go-to combination of Italian seasoning, Parmesan, and lemon. Its always a crowd pleaser and goes with just about anything.
For more options, you can also:
- Add a pinch of red pepper flakes for heat.
- Add a clove of minced garlic.
- Swap the Italian seasoning for chili powder and the lemon juice for lime.
- Top the Roasted Zucchini with fresh herbs. Dill and basil are two of my favorites.
- Swap the Parmesan for crumbled feta. Sprinkle the feta on after the zucchini has baked.