How To Make Baked Mac And Cheese
Make A Roux For Mac And Cheese
Making a roux is as easy as combining flour, butter, and then adding cream or milk to make the sauce.
Check out this article on how to get started making a roux. Then, follow the instructions below and in the recipe card and youll be all set!
- Melt the butter.
- The mixture should begin to thicken, and should stick to the spoon when poured off.
The Best Homemade Baked Mac And Cheese
The BEST Homemade Mac and Cheese of your LIFE. Outrageously cheesy, ultra creamy, and topped with a crunchy Panko-Parmesan topping, this mac and cheese recipe is most definitely a keeper. I used three different cheese and a homemade cheese sauce to take this macaroni and cheese recipe over the top. Love cheesy recipes? Make sure to try this Lazy Day Lasagna and Cheesy Kielbasa Rice and Broccoli Skillet next week for dinner!
This post is sponsored by Walmart and SheKnows Media.
Recommended Reading: Laughing Cow Cheese Not Refrigerated
You May Like: Apple Pie Baked In A Bag
To Bake Or Not To Bake:
You dont have to bake the mac and cheese in this recipe. Everything gets fully cooked and is essentially ready to eat after the cheese and noodles are added. However, I love the extra gooeyness that comes when the cheese is baked and I think baking it adds a level of sophistication you just dont get without.
Read Also: Does Babybel Cheese Have To Be Refrigerated
Upgrading Kraft Macaroni And Cheese
Also Check: Are Aldi Baked Beans Gluten Free
Tips For The Best Baked Macaroni And Cheese
Grate your own cheese. Yes, it’s worth the extra time to take a block of cheese and grate your own. Shredded cheese is handy, but it’s often coated with a very fine powder to keep the shreds from sticking together in the bag. That powder coating also happens to keep the cheese from melting as well as it could. But freshly-grated cheese will melt like a dream.
Cook the pasta to al dente. Since the mac and cheese has to bake for a bit longer in the oven, you don’t want to risk the pasta turning to mush. Cook the pasta to al dente so that it finishes cooking to the perfect texture while the mac and cheese bakes.
Warm the milk. Don’t skip the step of warming milk before you add it to the flour and butter mixture. Cold milk with make the flour mixture seize and turn clumpy. It will be difficult to get it smooth again before the next step.
How To Measure Pasta For This Recipe
Sometimes a reader or two has had an issue with how much pasta this recipe needs. This recipe is written by volume and sometimes people think that since a cup is 8 ounces that they can simply use 12-16 ounces of pasta or go by the weight of the dry pasta written on the box.
Youll end up with problems if you do this. Please follow the volume instructions and measure your pasta dry in a measuring cup meant for dry items . Small pastas like ditalini or little wagon wheels can go up to about 2 cups and be fine in the recipe, and large ones like bow tie or cellentani can as well. If you will stick to elbow pasta until you get the hang of things youll be better off.
Ive made this recipe with every pasta shape on the market and if you will measure in cups, your recipe will be just right.
Recommended Reading: Does Laughing Cow Need Refrigeration
You May Like: Bake Frozen Turkey Burgers In Oven
How Do You Doctor Up Boxed Mac And Cheese
15 Easy Ways to Upgrade Boxed Mac & Cheese for Last-Minute Dinners Broccoli + Shredded Chicken. Bacon + Peas + Egg. Garlic + Pickled JalapeÃ±os. Mushrooms + Thyme + Grated GruyÃ¨re. Pesto + Sun-Dried Tomatoes. Kimchi + Bacon + Chopped Scallions. Cherry Tomatoes + Basil + Mozzarella. Spicy Italian Sausage + Onions + Marinara.
Dont Miss: Laughing Cow Cheese Not Refrigerated
Can I Refrigerate Before Baking
Yes, you can refrigerate macaroni and cheese before you bake it. This make-ahead mac and cheese is a great option for meal prep. Do all the cooking whenever you have the time and bake it right before youre ready to eat.
To refrigerate before baking, you will complete all the steps up to putting the mixture in the pan. Cover the dish with foil and refrigerate for up to two days. When youre ready to bake it, pull the mac out of the fridge while the oven is preheating and top with breadcrumbs and Parmesan.
You will need to bake the macaroni and cheese casserole a little longer since itll be cold. Bake for about 30-40 minutes until heated through.
You May Like: Honey Baked Ham Livonia Mi
Choose Your Noodles Carefully
When making mac and cheese, you need to consider your desired ultimate outcome when choosing a noodle. You donât have to stick with macaroni every time just because thatâs the technical name of the dish. If youâre going for the utmost creaminess, opt for a noodle that will hold a lot of sauce. Noodles with ridges are always a good choice: cavatappi, cavatell, rotini, and even penne are all good mac and cheese noodles.
Why We Love This Easy Baked Mac And Cheese
We can never say no to a good mac and cheese recipe! However, for this version, we took original baked mac and cheese and made it even better. Not only is it super creamy and full of rich cheesy flavor, but its also:
- Made in 1 dish.
- Great to make ahead of time.
- Finished with a crispy panko topping for extra texture and flavor.
Don’t Miss: Bush’s Baked Beans Nutrition Label
Can You Freeze Baked Mac And Cheese
If you want to get ahead for a busy weeknight, you can make a dish of this mac and cheese in advance. But don’t bake it. Instead, follow all the steps, assemble it, and cook it completely. Then cover it with aluminum foil, and put it in the freezer.
When you’re ready to bake it, thaw it in the fridge for 24 hours, then bake it. You may need to add 5 to 10 minutes of cook time for the casserole to be completely done. But just monitor it for a bubbly, browning top. That’ll be your cue it’s ready to come out of the oven.
Preheat oven to 400°F. Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- Step 2
Microwave milk at HIGH for 1 ½ minutes. Melt butter in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-low heat whisk in flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in warm milk, and cook, whisking constantly, 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Step 3
Whisk in salt, black pepper, 1 cup shredded cheese, and, if desired, red pepper until smooth stir in hot cooked pasta. Spoon pasta mixture into a lightly greased 2-qt. baking dish prepped with cooking spray top with remaining cheese. Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
Variations Of Crock Pot Mac And Cheese
- Pasta Shapes to mimic the classic recipe, I normally use elbow pasta. But any short-cut pasta works just as well! Medium shells, penne, rotini, etc. Just note that different pastas will have slightly different cook times, so use the recipe times as an approximate.
- Cooking Liquids like I mentioned above, I prefer the taste and consistency of chicken broth, evaporated milk and heavy cream. However, feel free to test out different proportions of those liquids, or try out different liquids. Just note that I can only vouch for this recipe as written.
- Cheeses As with most mac and cheese recipes, the types of cheese called for are not the only ones you can use. Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack, Colby, Gruyere, sharp cheddar any and all!
- Seasonings feel free to add in additional seasonings that you love in your mac and cheese.
Read Also: Where Can I Get Baked Hot Cheetos
How To Make A Baked Mac And Cheese Recipe Easy
This homemade mac and cheese is an ideal side dish that you can prep ahead for special holidays like Thanksgiving or for large family suppers. Assemble it in advance and keep it in the fridge for a couple of days! You can also serve the mac and cheese as a main course for dinner. Throw in some shredded chicken or diced ham, add veggies like steamed broccoli or frozen peas, and you’ve got a delicious and satisfying meal in one pan. The simple, old-fashioned combination of pasta and cheese is always crowd-pleasing!
Tips For Perfect Cheese Sauce
Have you ever made a mac and cheese that wasnt creamy or smooth? Instead if was grainy or gritty? The worst! Heres a few steps you should take for perfectly creamy cheese sauce.
Don’t Miss: Honey Baked Ham Store Promo Code
How To Keep Mac And Cheese Creamy
I’m sharing a handful of tips to help keep your easy baked mac and cheese creamy, smooth, and saucy.
- First, no eggs. Unlike the Southern-style mac and cheese, this creamy version does not include eggs. The eggs help to “set” the casserole, giving it a firm, dry texture. Since that’s not what we’re going for here, you’ll need to leave out the eggs.
- Next, lots of sauce. We’re not skimping on cheese, milk, or cream in this dish. We’ll make plenty of cheese sauce to coat the noodles. It looks like a lot of sauce, but you need that amount in order to keep the dish creamy in the oven.
- Velveeta cheese. That’s right, I said it. Blasphemy?! Maybe! But trust me here: Velveeta melts smoothly into the sauce giving the mac and cheese a rich, creamy texture that you just can’t quite replicate with other types of cheese.
- Baking Time. This casserole goes in the oven at a low temperature for just 15 minutes. This short baking time is important because it’s just long enough to melt the cheese on top and get the noodles hot inside, but it’s not so long that it dries out the pasta and sauce. If you like a crispier crust on top, you can pop it under the broiler for a few minutes at the end.
Bone Broth Gives The Mac And Cheese Plenty Of Umami
Most boxed mac and cheese instructions tell you to cook the noodles in boiling water before making the cheese sauce. But if you want to add deeper, more savory flavor notes to your finished dish, replace some of the cooking water with bone broth or stock.
I always have some homemade bone broth in my freezer, so whenever I want to add a little boost of nutrient density and depth of flavor to a box of mac and cheese, Ill use half water and half broth for my pasta cooking liquid, says BuzzFeed Tasty test kitchen manager and Belly 2 Baby Nutrition co-founder Karlee Rotoly.
Dont Miss: Where Can I Buy Teleme Cheese
Also Check: Baked By Melissa Promo Code
Classic Macaroni And Cheese Kraft Recipes
Best Kraft Baked Macaroni And Cheese Recipe from Classic Macaroni and Cheese Kraft Recipes. Source Image: www.kraftrecipes.com. Visit this site for details: www.kraftrecipes.com
I also attempted mac and cheese with evaporated milk, which appeared more like Velveeta than genuine cheese and also left me with a stomachache. I tried mac and cheese with Monterey Jack, as well, which supplies much less taste than cheddar as well as produces an excessively gooey structure .
Tips And Tricks For A Better Recipe
Do you want to improve this recipe flavor? I have some tips and tricks for you. Check our below some of our recommendations:
- Use a higher quality cheese for a more flavorful dish.
- Add in some diced ham or bacon for extra flavor.
- Use a mixture of different cheeses for a more complex flavor.
- Stir in chopped green onions or chives for extra color and flavor.
- Add a breadcrumb topping for extra crunch.
- Use a different type of pasta for a different twist on the dish.
- Stir in some cooked vegetables for extra nutrition.
- Use a creamier cheese sauce for a richer dish.
- Add a bit of hot sauce to the cheese sauce for a spicy kick.
- Top with crumbled potato chips or french fried onions for extra crunch.
- Bake in individual servings for a more elegant presentation.
- Make it ahead of time and reheat it when youre ready to eat. Leftovers will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Freeze it in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating.
Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired. Serve with a side of green vegetables, such as steamed broccoli or roasted Brussels sprouts.
You May Like: Honey Baked Ham Virginia Beach
Can I Store This Recipe
Yes, you can store this recipe in the fridge for up to 3 days. Just reheat in the oven or microwave before serving.
Things to take care of while storing this recipe:
- Make sure the mac and cheese are completely cooled before storing it in the fridge.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Reheat before serving.
- Dont overheat, or the cheese will become rubbery.
- Add a little milk to the dish when reheating.
Finally, stir well before serving.