Free: 5 Secrets To Fast Healthy Dinners
If youre drowning in zucchini, an easy zucchini gratin recipe is the perfect way to use up a good amount. This low carb cheesy zucchini casserole requires three medium zucchini in a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish, but you can easily double the recipe to make more in a larger pan!
As we head into August, I know Im not the only one with more zucchini than I know what to do with. Anyone with a garden will say that right now!
I keep meaning to start a garden, but never have the time. One of these years Ill take the plunge.
For now, despite no garden, I still have a zucchini problem. Its my own fault, too. I just couldnt resist buying way too much at the farmers market.
Its a good thing my family loves zucchini as much as I do. All the more reason to make cheesy zucchini au gratin, right?
The only thing is, I struggled with the name for this dish. Cheesy zucchini gratin? Low carb zucchini casserole? Healthy zucchini bake? I couldnt decide, so Im using the names interchangeably.
How To Bake Zucchini / Courgettes In The Oven
Now the fun part showing you how this is so quick and easy. Lining them up together on the tray is my trick for capturing 99% of the parmesan and breadcrumbs without the hassle of dredging / coating!
Cut in quarters or sixths lengthwise minimal chopping!
Toss with oil, salt & pepper, line them up next to each other, then sprinkle the breadcrumbs and parmesan straight on top. Because theyre touching, it catches most of the parmesan and breadcrumbs
Drizzle with oil just 2 teaspoons or so then bake 12 minutes in a super hot oven.
Until the parmesan becomes golden and the zucchini is tender but not mushy. Voila! Speedy Baked Zucchini!
A Healthy Zucchini Side Dish
Also if you want to take care of clean eating or you want to gain some weight loss, zucchini is always a good choice.
As a matter of fact, Baked Parmesan Zucchini is so delicious that I could say its addictive. Crispy Parmesan shell on top of tender zucchini is perfect combo of flavor and texture as well. I love to eat them as a main dish, not just as a side. But its totally up to your own taste.
Even in the middle of winter, I love to buy zucchini in the market and make this recipe. It simply reminds me of easy and pleasant summer day and the abundance of garden fresh veggies.
Since the spring is just around the corner I couldnt wait to share my personal favorite veggie recipe. Baked Parmesan Zucchini is a must have side dish on your menu this spring or summer.
You May Like: Kiko Bright Quartet Baked Eyeshadow Palette
Can You Freeze Oven Baked Zucchini
Yes, you can also freeze roasted zucchini squash. Freeze in a single layer and then transfer to a freezer bag when its frozen solid.
TIP: If youre going to freeze zucchini, its best to under cook it a bit. That way, it wont be overcooked when you reheat.
Do not freeze raw zucchini, though. The enzymes in raw vegetables, especially those with high water content like zucchini, will ruin the texture if you freeze them raw.
Can I Make These Fritters Egg
Sure! Simply replace the egg with 2 tablespoons ricotta cheese and bake for an additional 2-4 minutes. Let cool in the pan. You will likely need to use your hands to mix the batter and it will seem dry at first, but keep mixing until it comes together. It will be fairly stiff and thick once its all incorporated.
Also Check: Honey Baked Ham Willow Grove
Get The Latest Recipes Right In Your Inbox:
Crisp, tender parmesan zucchini sticks oven-roasted to absolute perfection. Its healthy, nutritious and completely addictive!
Zucchini and parmesan cheese. Its a match made in heaven. And if all veggies were like this, Id become a vegetarian tomorrow.
No, but really, this is by far one of the best veggie side dishes Ive ever made. And the best part about this is that there is absolutely no deep frying or sauteing of any kind.
Simply cut your zucchini into quarters lengthwise, sprinkle on that Parmesan goodness and throw into the oven to let it get nice and crisp.
I like to let mine broil the last couple of minutes to get that nice golden brown crust. Its so good, even your picky eaters will be begging for seconds and thirds!
Ingredients For Easy Zucchini Gratin
This low carb zucchini gratin recipe uses common ingredients that I often have around. During the summer months, its pretty typical for me to create easy zucchini recipes on a whim. And, the most common themes are cheese and random ingredients I find in the fridge. This was one of those!
The ingredients needed are zucchini , sea salt, black pepper, brie cheese, heavy cream, almond milk, butter, garlic, sharp shredded cheese, and Italian seasoning. Okay, so that list is not as short as my five-ingredient recipes. But, these are all simple ingredients you can find at your local grocery store.
I recommend using brie in the sauce as written, because it creates a super creamy consistency. It thickens it very nicely, too!
As for the cheesy zucchini casserole topping, feel free to swap any shredded cheese you like. I used a blend of Swiss and Gruyere for lots of depth and flavor. Cheddar would be delicious, too!
Baked Zucchini Chips Serving Suggestions
These baked zucchini chips are best right after they come out of the oven. They soften as they cool, so eat them as soon as you can, when theyre still hot, juicy, and crisp. Most often, I enjoy them plain, straight off the baking sheet, but theyre fantastic with dipping sauces too. Try pairing them with romesco sauce, pesto or vegan pesto, tzatziki, cashew cream, or !
Eat this baked zucchini recipe on its own as a snack, or serve it as a side dish with any summer main dish. I love it with my best veggie burger, black bean burger, quinoa burger, or BBQ Jackfruit sandwiches. It would also be a fun starter for these pasta recipes:
How To Roast Zucchini
Youll see a lot of recipes for baked zucchini. They might look a little bit like this recipe, however, we call our recipe roasted zucchini because of the high cooking temperature. High heat means that the zucchini gets a lovely, flavor-making bit of blisterand it also means that in terms of how long to roast zucchini, its in and out of the oven in just minutes. Heres the steps for the best way to cook zucchini, you ave our word.
You May Like: Johnny’s Take And Bake Pizza
Dont Want To Use Breadcrumbs In Your Baked Zucchini No Problem
Not into breadcrumbs? Or do you eat a gluten-free diet? You can absolutely make baked zucchini without them. Heres what to do:
- Omit the breadcrumbs.
- Toss the zucchini with grated Parmesan cheese after baking!
As a note: there are lots of gluten-free breadcrumbs or Panko on the market these days, so you can use those to make this recipe gluten-free as well.
Healthy Zucchini Fritters Recipe
Each zucchini fritter has some protein from the egg and cheese, calcium from the cheese, and a toddler-size serving of vegetables. They are a really fun way to change up how you prepare zucchini, especially when you have the giant baseball-bat sized ones to use up!
I love eating these myself for breakfast or lunch and they are a perfect toddler lunch idea to have on hand and quickly reheat.
Also Check: Baked Mushroom Rice French Onion Soup
How To Roast Zucchini In The Oven
Let me show you how to bake zucchini in the oven:
- Cut zucchini into spears. Simply cut off the ends of the zucchini and then cut each one across in half, making 2 shorter cylinder-shaped pieces. Cut each piece lengthwise 4 times, making 8 sticks out of each larger piece. Theyll look like this:
- Season zucchini. Toss the zucchini sticks with olive oil and season with Italian seasoning, garlic powder, sea salt and black pepper. I like to keep the spices simple, but feel free to experiment with other seasonings. Toss to coat.
- Roast zucchini in the oven. Arrange zucchini sticks in a single layer on the baking sheet without touching. Roast for 7 minutes, flip pieces over and cook for another 8-13 minutes, making 15-20 minutes total.
What Do You Serve With Crispy Baked Zucchini
These zucchini rounds are a great alternative to fries and are a great side to serve as part of an easy weeknight meal or a more elaborate celebratory meal like Thanksgiving and Christmas. If you are looking for some inspiration, be sure to check out these dinner ideas:
You May Like: Simple Baked Mac And Cheese
Zucchini And Summer Squash Casserole
The Spruce / Diana Rattray
Here’s a simple, baked casserole that’s a delicious way to celebrate a garden full of zucchini and summer squash. It’s also lighter than many casseroles since it omits the usual heavy sauce. Fresh vegetable casserole with a butter breadcrumb crust and Parmesan cheese is perfect for enjoying at picnics and cookouts on hot summer days.
Roasting Zucchini At The Same Time As Your Main Dish
For those of us not blessed with a double oven, roasted side dishes can be a pain to make alongside roasted or baked mains because they often take too long to cook after the main dish is finished but dont cook as well when cooked in the oven with something else.
Thats really not a problem with roasted zucchini. Since were not trying to use high heat to get roasted zucchini super crispy, and it isnt very prone to burning, you can cook it at a range of temperatures, on a lower rack without too many issues.
To roast zucchini at the same time as your main dish: simply cook it at the temperature your main dish requires . If possible, move your bottom rack up so it is closer to the center of your oven and roast the zucchini there. Check on the zucchini once or twice during baking to make sure its not burning on the lower rack, and simply roast until its fork tender.
If your main finishes and the zucchinis not done, crank the heat up to 450°F, move the pan to the center rack, and cook it for a couple minutes more while your main dish rests.
Crispy Baked Zucchini Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This crispy baked zucchini recipe is an easy vegetable side dish thats ready in just fifteen minutes! Deliciously crunchy and cheesy, and a great lower carb alternative to fries. Made with simple ingredients.
I think you guys are going to love this zucchini recipe! Its so quick and easy to make and wonderfully crispy and cheesy! Its a great alternative veggie side dish Ive been enjoying them with so many meals! Theyre great for snacking too!
How To Make The Best Baked Parmesan Zucchini
Be strategic about how you slice your zucchini: Prefer softer zucchini? Slice it into thinner rounds, around 1/4-inch thick. Like your baked zucchini on the firmer side? Cut it thicker, closer to 1/2-inch.Dont skip the broiler: The final step in this recipe after roasting your zucchini is to switch on the broiler and broil the rounds for just a couple minutes. This makes the cheese extra toasty and delicious. But keep a close eye on your zucchini while the broiler is going. Food under the broiler can burn very quickly, so you never want to leave your broiler unattended.
Recommended Reading: Simple Baked Mac N Cheese
Eggplant And Zucchini Casserole
The Spruce / Diana Rattray
Eggplant and zucchini play well together, and this delicious recipe combines them in a casserole dish that enhances their best flavors. Zucchini and eggplant slices are layered with stewed tomatoes, onions, and cheddar cheese, all topped with buttered breadcrumbs, and baked to perfection. Bring this hearty vegetable casserole to cookouts or potlucks, or make it as a side dish for just about any main dish.
Ingredients For Roasted Zucchini
- Zucchini: Slice the zucchini into rounds of a silar sized thickness so that they cook through evenly. You can also make this recipe with yellow squash.
- Oil: A little oil helps to get the zucchini nice and crispy. I use olive oil, but vegetable or canola will work well.
- Seasonings: Salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Parmesan: Freshly grated parmesan adds a great flavor and texture to the oven baked zucchini slices. Its optional, but a delicious add on!
Read Also: Best Mail Order Baked Goods
How To Make This Crispy Baked Zucchini Recipe
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Add zucchini slices to a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, combine olive oil, salt, pepper, Italian Seasoning, panko, and parmesan. Stir to fully combine.
- Add the parmesan mixture to the bowl with the zucchini and toss to fully coat the zucchini. You might add a bit more olive oil if needed.
- Place coated zucchini on a large baking sheet.
- Bake for 4-5 minutes, then switch oven to broil.
- Broil for 3-4 minutes or until bread crumbs are toasted and cheese is melty.
How To Make Roasted / Baked Zucchini: A Few Tips
Here are a few tips for making this baked zucchini, aka roasted zucchini! Alex and I tried making zucchini fries and realized that they were a bit time intensive. You have to dip the zucchini in flour and egg before the breadcrumbs, and it ends up all gummy and messy. So for this baked zucchini, we were inspired to make it like fries but without the fuss. Youll get a light coating of bread crumbs for a little crunch, but theyre not fully coated like fries. Heres what to know:
- Mix some breadcrumbs with oil-coated zucchini first. Not all of them will stick to the zucchini: thats ok! The same is true when you place them on the baking sheet. So
- Move any breadcrumbs that fall onto the baking sheet to the top of the zucchini. Just quickly move any piles of breadcrumbs to the top of the zucchini. It doesnt have to be perfect.
- Finish by sprinkling with more dry breadcrumbs & Parm. This gets another fresh coating of crumbs on top.
- Bake until just tender . The bake time will depend on exactly how thin the zucchini is: so keep an eye on it! You want it to be just tender: crisp and water, but not overly soggy. Take a taste if you need to assess doneness!
Recommended Reading: How Long To Bake Banana Bread
Gourmet Provisions International Corp Announces They Are Otc Currentyour Browser Indicates If You’ve Visited This Link
Gourmet Provisions International Corporation today announced they have made all of their filings and have been listed as Pink Current on the OTC. On November 22nd , Gourmet Provisions International posted their strong 3rd quarterly financial statement and were approved by the OTC and lifted to Pink Current.
How Do You Bake Zucchini Without It Getting Soggy
Roasting is a great way to cook zucchini as the high heat will draw out excess moisture before getting it nice and crispy. Lay the zucchini slices in an even layer on the baking sheet so that they roast rather than steam. Theres no need to salt the zucchini before cooking it, the oven will do all the work for you. Its best to serve the baked parmesan zucchini straight away so that they stay nice and crisp.
You May Like: Bush’s Baked Beans Visitor Center
How To Roast Zucchini Without It Getting Soggy
The key to perfect roasted zucchini is high heat. Roast at 400 degrees F, and not for too long. The roasting time will vary depending on the size and shape of your zucchini pieces, so check on it occasionally.
TIP: Broil your zucchini at the end, if you want to brown it more without making it more soggy.
Baked Zucchini Recipe Tips
- Have a wet hand and a dry hand. If youve made my Eggplant Parmesan or Crispy Cauliflower Po Boy Sandwich, you know that things can get messy when youre dredging veggies. I recommend having a wet hand and a dry hand to control the chaos. Use the wet hand to dunk the zucchini slices in the egg wash and transfer them to the panko mixture. Then, use the dry hand to sprinkle them with the crispy coating and place them on the prepared baking sheet. It doesnt hurt to have kitchen towels or paper towels handy to wipe off your fingers, either.
- Drizzle the zucchini chips with oil before baking. If you want your zucchini chips to be golden brown and crisp , drizzle them lightly with oil before you pop them in the oven. You wont get the same color and crunch without it!
- Cook them in a single layer with a little space between each one. Dont crowd the zucchini on the baking sheet! If you do, theyll steam in the oven, and they wont get brown and crisp. Depending on the size of your sheet pans, you might need to use more than one to make this recipe. If you do use multiple baking sheets, switch the top and bottom pans halfway through the cooking time.
- Flip the chips halfway. If its not clear by now, we want these guys to be as crisp and golden as possible. Pull them out at the ten minute mark and flip each chip to help them brown evenly on both sides.
Read Also: Recipe For No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies