Why Precook The Apple Pie Filling
- No more undercooked apples: No chances that the middle will be undercooked!
- Avoid an apple filling that is too watery: Precooking the filling will get rid of extra moisture and ensure that the filling is perfectly thickened before going into the oven.
- Taste and adjust sweetness: Here is where you can make sure the filling sweet enough. You can even add more cinnamon, nutmeg, or allspice!
- Avoid the gap between the baked crust and the filling: Sometimes the filling shrinks after the dough has set, leaving a huge gap. Precooking the apple pie filling takes care of that.
Now you can see why I love to make my apple pie this way, right?! I swear it makes my life easier, especially when Im in charge of bringing the pie!
Double Crust Apple Pie
Like a lot of filling to pastry in your apple pie? Try this fall recipe that’s filled with three pounds of apples. We like to use an assortment of different varieties such as Granny Smith, Rome, Fuji, and Jonagold.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Yield Serves 10 to 12
Number Of Ingredients 12
|3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling out dough|
|Test Kitchen’s Favorite Pate Brisee|
|1 large egg yolk|
|1 tablespoon heavy cream|
|3 pounds assorted apples , peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch wedges|
|2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice|
|1/4 cup granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling|
|1 teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into small pieces|
|Best-quality vanilla ice cream|
Tips From The Betty Crocker Kitchens
- tip 1 Lay a sheet of foil on lower oven rack below pie pan in case of boil overs.
- tip 2 Have a foil collar or aluminum pastry shield at the ready to prevent over-browning around the top edges of the pastry. You dont want to under bake the pie or you may have a gummy bottom crust.
- tip 3 If you make pie pastry from scratch, youve got choices for the fatshortening, lard, or butter. The pure fat of shortening or lard gives you some leeway as you handle them in a dough, as they stay hard longer when working them with warm hands. But butter offers a flavor boost you cant beat, plus the fact that the water in it is released as steam as it melts, helping create a flakier crust.
- tip 4 For a glazy top crust, brush with milk or cream and sprinkle on some sparkly sugar before sliding it into the oven. Use small cookie cutters to cut out shapes from top crust before placing it on filling or use a small paring knife to cut slits to create vents to release steam.
- tip 5 For a nice defined crimped crust, lay the top pastry over the apple filling and press it firmly against the overhang of the bottom crust. Fold the pastry together and over to build up an even ridge of dough. Use the handle of a wooden spoon to mark evenly spaced sections to twist with your fingers into a decorative edge.
- tip 6 Jump-start your pie baking by using Betty Crocker pie crust mix. Just add water and stir the dough is ready in 5 minutes.
Don’t Miss: Mrs Ts Loaded Baked Potato Pierogies
How To Make Quick And Easy Apple Pie
Bring the pie crust to room temperature before you get started so that it’s easier to unroll without ripping.
Y Feature: My Favorite Pie
Ryan Liebe, Ryan Liebe 2016
Nothing says warm fall treat like crisp apples coated in rich bourbon. That bourbon gives an added dimension of flavor, perfect for a Friendsgiving potluck or classic Thanksgiving dessert.
Food Network Kitchen’s Vegan Apple Pie For Vegan and Vegetarian Thanksgiving as seen on Food Network
Recommended Reading: Honey Baked Ham Willow Grove
Our Favorite Tools To Make Pie:
You dont need fancy equipment to make a pie. If you dont have a food processor, you can use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the flour until it forms pea-sized crumbles, then add 6-8 Tbsp ice-cold water, folding it in with a spatula between each addition. Its easy as pie! Here are our favorite pie-making tools to make the job easier:
Bring It All Together
In Crust, you learned to mix and roll your dough to create a wonderfully flaky, tender pie crust. Once youve mastered pie dough, youre ready to move on to filling and baking. Weve chosen to feature peach pie, an American classic but what you learn here is easily transferable to any flavor of pie. And in Inspiration, we’ll give you the tools you need to polish your pie presentation skills.
Should You Thaw A Frozen Pie Before Baking
Bake the pie frozen do not thaw. Place a cookie sheet in your oven and preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. The cookie sheet helps to cook the bottom pie crust so it isnt soggy, which can be a problem with foil pans. Bake at 425 degrees F for the first 15-20 minutes and then turn down to 350 degrees F until done.
Caramel Apple Pumpkin Pie
If you think you can not make bread, try this. Alexandra Staffords no-knead dish requires instantaneous yeast and also nearly no effort on your part. Plus, there are a million methods to vary it!.
Don’t Miss: How To Mail Baked Goods
How To Make The Apple Pie
Peel, core and cut the apples, and sprinkle them with a little lemon juice or apple cider vinegar to keep from browning. Toss them with a little flour, sugar, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and vanilla, and let the filling sit while you roll out the pie crusts.
Remove the dough disks from the refrigerator and let them sit for 10 to 15 minutes before rolling one of the disks out to 12-inch circles, about 1/8″-inch thick.
Line the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate and line with the rolled out dough. Trim the edges to a half-inch from the sides of the pie pan. Scoop the apples into the pie plate and create a mound in the center. Don’t worry if the apples are high in the pan, they’ll shrink as they cook.
Roll out the second pie dough disk. If you want to make a lattice pie, see our directions for making a lattice pie here. Otherwise, place the second round of rolled out pie dough over the apples, and tuck the edges of the top pie crust over and under the bottom pie crust edges. Crimp with your fingers to seal.
Score the top in several places to create vents for steam to escape .
Tips For Deep Dishing
Each bite of this pie is stacked with sweet spiced apples. Theres clearly no shortage of apple slices, so if youre crazy for apple pie, this is a must in your baking future. Top it with vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of salted caramel because you and I dont mess around when it comes to dessert.
Read Also: Johnny’s Take And Bake Pizza
What Are The Best Apples For Apple Pie
It’s best to use a mix of different types of apples in your pie. Some apple varieties cook up faster than others. Some cook up firm, some more soft some apples are more tart, some more sweet.
- Granny Smith – Green and tart, Granny Smith apples have wonderful flavor, but they they often lose their shape and turn mushy when cooked. So use no more than 2 Grannies in your pie, and combine with other varieties.
- Jonagold – A cross between a Golden Delicious and a Jonathan, Jonagolds have a lovely aromatic flavor, they’re both sweet and sharp, and they hold their shape with baking.
- Fuji – Crisp, firm, juicy, balance of sweet and tart, holds its shape in baking
- Golden Delicious – Yellow and sweet, holds its shape after baking
- Braeburn – Sweet and crisp, bakes up firm and juicy
- Cortland – Juicy and tart, relatively soft, great all purpose apple for baking
- Honey Crisp – Honey sweet and tart flavor, crisp and juicy, holds shape in baking
- Avoid Red Delicious apples for pies, they don’t cook well.
For more information on which apple varieties are best for baking, check out our Guide to Apples.
More Easy Apple Recipes
Simple Apple Tart How to make a stunning apple tart with a buttery crust, thinly sliced apples, and toasted almonds.
Apple Pie Cupcakes A fun and easy apple pie cupcake recipe made with cinnamon roll dough, spiced apples and a crumble topping. How can it go wrong?
Dutch Baby Pancakes with Apples How to make the best tall, fluffy Dutch baby pancakes with tender apples. The perfect breakfast or dessert!
Easy Apple Crisp This apple crisp recipe with oats has sweet tender apples and a crisp and crunchy topping made with flour, oats, brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon.
Baked Cinnamon Apples These cinnamon baked apples are easy enough for tonight, but double as the perfect dessert for friends and family .
Creamy Apple Salad with Celery and Fennel We love this fresh and easy apple salad recipe made with crisp apples, celery, fennel, and an easy creamy dressing.
You May Like: Healthy Baked Chicken Recipes For Weight Loss
Need A Crust Recipe To Make Your Apple Pie I Got You Covered
I wrote a huge post all about pie crust! This basic apple pie recipe is a staple in our house and I hope you love it. You can find this recipe plus SEVEN other pie recipes in one post if you are looking around for something that looks perfect for your Thanksgiving table.
Theres something magical about pulling a pie made from scratch out of the oven. It seems to take you back to a time when life was simpler and homemade pie was standard fare in American kitchens.
Plan to take an afternoon to bake and you just might love how grounding the whole process is for you. And youll have a beautiful pie to enjoy after dinner or to share with friends, and thats a pretty great reward, too.
Start With Quality Pie Crust
You need a sturdy crust to sandwich all those apples. Whether youre a pie crust beginner or pro, I encourage you to read through my pie crust recipe. There is nothing quite like homemade pie crust and my grandmothers recipe has consistently proven its authority over the past several decades. Its our familys favorite and Ive been using it ever since I could lift a rolling pin.
This recipe uses a mixture of butter and shortening to provide a quality combination of sturdy, flaky, and buttery. I also have an all butter pie crust if youre interested. But for best taste and texture, swear by using both shortening and butter. You can taste the difference.
Apple Pie Bread The Country Cook
With a little trying out, I created these crunchy, spicy, oatmeal raisin cookies. They make your kitchen scent wonderful while they are baking. They nearly advise me of Christmas because the spices smell so great.
Easy Apple Pie Recipe With Store Bought Crust
This is an easy homemade apple pie recipe for those days when you don’t have time to whip up a buttery, flaky crust from scratch. The filling comes together in minutes with warm spices and loads of fresh apples, so it tastes like it came from Grandma’s kitchen. The pie is fool-proof…and it comes out perfectly every single time!
Whether it was intentional or by observation, I learned just about everything that I know in the kitchen from my mom. She is an amazing home cook, and she has always used smart, simple shortcuts to create easy recipes with minimal effort.
When I moved into my first apartment as a 21-year-old who had just graduated from college, my mom gifted me this little journal that is full of her hand-written recipes from my childhood. She picked my favorites and she put them all in one place. How awesome is that?
I cook from my mom’s recipes on a regular basis, and this easy apple pie is a consistent winner. I bring it to potlucks, share it at cookouts, and offer it as a dessert to finish off meals with friends and family. It’s ideal for that dinner party that you’re hosting because you can bake the pie in advance and leave it sitting on your countertop until you’re ready to serve it. No last-minute hassle!
Don’t Miss: Best Apples To Bake With
More About What Temperature To Cook Apple Pie Recipes
PERFECT APPLE PIE RECIPE – PILLSBURY.COM
- Heat oven to 425°F. Place 1 pie crust in ungreased 9-inch glass pie plate. Press firmly against side and bottom.
- In large bowl, gently mix filling ingredients spoon into crust-lined pie plate. Top with second crust. Wrap excess top crust under bottom crust edge, pressing edges together to seal flute. Cut slits or shapes in several places in top crust.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until apples are tender and crust is golden brown. Cover edge of crust with 2- to 3-inch wide strips of foil after first 15 to 20 minutes of baking to prevent excessive browning. Cool on cooling rack at least 2 hours before serving.
CLASSIC APPLE PIE RECIPE – RECIPE – FINECOOKING
HOMEMADE APPLE PIE RECIPE – SIMPLY RECIPES
HOW TO MAKE APPLE PIE – PILLSBURY.COM
DOUBLE-CRUSTED APPLE PIE RECIPE | MYRECIPES
HOW TO MAKE APPLE PIE RECIPE – BBC FOOD
DEEP-DISH APPLE PIE RECIPE | MYRECIPES
HOW TO MAKE APPLE PIE WITH APPLE PIE FILLING LOAVES AND …
- Line a 9 pie plate with one of your pie crusts, set the other to the side.
- Pour the apple pie filling into a medium sized bowl. Be sure to scrape the side of the can with a rubber spatula to get all of the filling out.
APPLE PIE | KING ARTHUR BAKING
FromTotal TimeServingsCaloriesFromReviewsTotal TimeFrom
How To Freeze And Bake Apple Pie From Pillsbury
This fundamental recipe was one my granny used for making fall apart pies from fresh fruit. Pear was always my favorite, as well as I included the ginger as well as sugar to provide it a new twist.
Read Also: No Bake Recipes For Kids
More About Apple Pie Baking Time And Temperature Recipes
HOMEMADE APPLE PIE RECIPE – SIMPLY RECIPES
HOW TO BAKE JUICY FRUIT PIES WITH A CRISP CRUST | ALLRECIPES
FromEstimated Reading Time
CLASSIC APPLE PIE WITH PRECOOKED APPLE FILLING – COOKING …
- Combine flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor by pulsing a few times. Add the very cold butter cubes and pulse a few times until a pea-size coarse meal forms. Add the buttermilk and run the food processor continuously for several seconds until a dough forms. At first, it will look like it’s not coming together but it will.
- Peel apples and cut out the core. Then cut into 1/4 inch slices. They should all be cut to the same size for even cooking.
APPLE PIE | KING ARTHUR BAKING
- To make the crust: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and salt., Work in the shortening until the mixture is evenly crumbly.
- Dice the butter into 1/2″ pieces, and cut into the mixture until you have flakes of butter the size of a dime., Add the water 2 tablespoons at a time, mixing with a fork as you sprinkle the water into the dough.
- When the dough is moist enough to hold together when you squeeze it, transfer it to a piece of wax or parchment paper.
APPLE PIE RECIPE – PERFECT EVERY TIME!
- Place the flour, sugar and salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade.
AIR FRYER APPLE PIE – AIR FRYING FOODIE