How To Make Air Fryer Keto Zucchini Fries
Making these Parmesan zucchini fries is super easy! First, slice 2 zucchini into fries shape you dont even need to peel them! The way I do it is first I cut off and discard the zucchini stems, then cut zucchini in half, then in half again, and then cut into shape of fries.
Next, put zucchini fries in a bowl and toss with olive oil, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning .
Put zucchini fries in the air fryer basket, set the temperature to 400F and the time for 10 minutes and press Start. When its done cooking, take out these browned delicious zucchini fries and enjoy them while they are hot!
Of course, feel free to sprinkle them with extra Parmesan cheese before serving. You just cant go wrong with more Parmesan 🙂 Enjoy!
Also, check out these low carb zucchini recipes:
The Ingredients You’ll Need
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this easy recipe. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
Olive oil spray: I love cooking with this delicious oil. But if you’d rather use an oil with a higher smoke point, you can use avocado oil instead.
Egg whites: They enable the almond flour to adhere to the fries, and they also help to crisp them up.
Almond flour: I don’t use bread crumbs in the coating, opting for almond flour instead.
Kosher salt and black pepper: If using fine salt, you should reduce the amount you use, or the dish could end up too salty.
Spices: Garlic powder, paprika, and cayenne pepper. Make sure they are fresh! A stale spice can easily ruin a dish.
Zucchinis: For the best results, use firm zucchinis.
How Do You Cut Zucchini Into Sticks
This part is super simple! With this method, youll have equally sized zucchini sticks every time. Its important for them to be the same size so that they all cook evenly in the oven. For a visual, check out the video below.
Recommended Reading: Nature Valley Cocoa Peanut Butter Soft Baked Filled Squares
Storage And Reheating Instructions
How to Store: Transfer your leftover zucchini fries into an resealable airtight storage container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
How To Reheat.
- In the Oven: Place your leftover zucchini fries on parchment lined baking sheet in the oven at 375F for 5-10 minutes or until warm, flipping halfway through.
- In the Air Fryer: Place the leftover fries in a single layer in the air fryer basket and cook at 375F for 2-3 minutes, or until warm. Flip halfway through.
Are Zucchini Fries Healthy
When you are craving junk food but you want to eat healthily, then reach for some zucchini and make healthy zucchini fries.
As you would imagine zucchini itself, like a lot of other veggies, is low carb, low in calories, high in fiber andwater, and full of vitamins and minerals which helps us to gain many health benefits when eating it.
When you think about eating vegetables in general, they are some of the healthiest things for us to eat because they help with all sorts of things such as
- Weight loss
- improve digestion
- boost our energy and fight fatigue
So eat zucchini and enjoy some of the health benefits it gives you especially when replacing the high carb and high-fat foods with something as natural as a vegetable. It only makes perfect sense!
Also Check: Baked Mac And Cheese Nytimes
Best Tips For Zucchini Fries
So that you can have great success in making the best zucchini fries here are a few tips to help you.
- Before coating the zucchini pieces with cheese, or any other coating, make sure that the squash is dry first.
- Every oven cooks differently so keep your eye on the zucchini fries to make sure that they dont burn.
- You will get more crispy results if you flip the zucchini pieces over halfway through the cooking process.
- Eat them while they are piping hot right from the oven because they will have the best texture at that time. Our zucchini fries recipe calls for using parmesan cheese to coat the squash, but you could substitute it for asiago or romano.
- If you dont want to use the whole egg to coat these healthy zucchini fries, you could just use the whites and discard the yolks.
- When you are making baked zucchini fries if they are not browning up enough then you could always spray the tops with cooking spray to achieve a crispy texture.
- For best crispy results making zucchini sticks, spread them out enough on the baking sheet so that they have plenty of space in between them to help them crisp up better.
- To ensure that you get the best zucchini fries, use small zucchini instead of large. the larger, the more water along with large seeds.
How To Make The Best Baked Zucchini Fries
Youll need these ingredients for this recipe:
- 1 large zucchini
- garlic powder
- Salt and black pepper
This is a baked in the oven recipe, meaning youll want to use a prepared baking sheet sprayed with olive oil or cooking spray. First the zucchini sticks need an egg wash from a shallow bowl, the a layer of the spiced coating by rolling in the breadcrumb mixture. Place on sheet in a single layer, making sure not to overlap.
Bake for about 23 minutes, turning the stick over halfway through, When done, the sticks will be golden brown to crispy zucchini fries.
I like to serve these with some marinara sauce for dipping. You can also use ranch dressing, garlic aioli, or your favourite preferred sauce. If you have another favorite dipping sauce let me know in the comments.
The coating has options as well. You can add in garlic powder or Italian seasoning.
This recipe for Baked Zucchini Fries is something which Id consider a side, or a replica of a fancy appetizer youd get at a restaurant.
How Long Do Healthy Zucchini Fries Last
Ive now made these baked zucchini fries many times and they have not made it to the fridge once. No leftovers up in here!
Theyre sooooo good.
BUT, if you want to store some of these wonderful baked zucchini fries for later, make a big batch and place them in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days. They wont be quite as crispy when you reheat them, but theyll still be flavorful.
What Are Zucchini Fries
Oven baked zucchini fries are sticks of zucchini that are breaded and baked . I used Parmesan cheese for the breading to avoid carbs, gluten, and the need for any specialty flours.
Ill be the first to admit, when Im craving junk food but want to stay healthy, these baked Parmesan zucchini fries are a lifesaver! They are one of my favorite ways to make low carb French fries.
Get The Latest Recipes Right In Your Inbox:
These fries are amazingly crisp-tender and healthy with just 135.4 calories. And no one would ever believe that these are actually baked!
This recipe was actually posted back in 2011. I had just started this blog two months prior, and needless to say, the photos did not do any kind of justice to them.
Now I surely do not want anyone missing out on these fries so I have updated the photos and recipe to convince you to make these this very second.
Yes, that emergency grocery run may just be necessary. You can pick up some zucchini and some pineapple juice so you can also make these mimosas tomorrow morning.
Now this recipe is similar to one of my most popular recipes Baked Parmesan Zucchini except these have a nice crisp Parmesan-herb breading on them, baked completely on top of a cooling rack to help get these babies nice and crisp.
Theres absolutely no hot pot of oil involved here you just dont need it. These fries are amazingly crisp right out of the oven so crisp that no one would ever believe these didnt hit a single drop of oil.
When ready to serve, you can dunk these in your favorite dipping sauce Ranch, garlic aioli, marinara its up to you/ Best of all, you can enjoy every bite of these completely guilt-free.
Dips + Air Fryer Instructions
The parmesan cheese makes such a great flavor that I love these zucchini sticks without any dips or sauces.
However, you can definitely add extra flavor if you choose. Ranch Dressing and would both be great choices.
Air fryer: If you want to make a healthy fried version try using an air fryer. Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees. Spray the basket with cooking spray and place the zucchini sticks in a single layer. Be sure they are not touching to maximize air flow. Fry for about 8-10 minutes.
So easy, right?! And we must note that they are best served fresh. Just like our fried zucchini, these kinds of recipes are best served right out of the oven or pan. But trust me, we think youll agree and love how simple these are to make.
Try serving this dish with:
How To Make Keto Zucchini Fries
This is an easy low carb, keto friendly side dish you will love!
My husband dipped the parmesan zucchini fries in ketchup, but I thought they were awesome in a low-carb jalapeÃ±o ranch. It complemented the spices and the parmesan just perfectly!
What Ingredients Are In This Recipe
- Zucchini This is a low carb vegetable that you can use in a lot of recipes and is of course the main ingredient in zucchini fries. what makes
- Parmesan Cheese This is the best cheese to make the zucchini fries crispy, and since its flavorful, it reduces the need for other spices.
- Eggs You need eggs to help the cheese stick to the squash.
- Garlic Powder A delicious spice to make the zucchini fries tastier. Who doesnt love the taste of garlic, and when added to foods it gives them an Italian flavor!!
- Pepper A common everyday spice we all use is black pepper. Adds a little bit extra flavor.
How To Cut Zucchini Into Fries:
How To Make It
1. Cut the zucchini in half and then in half again, creating medium sized sticks .
2. Prepare the batter. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, oat milk, paprika, onion powder, salt, and pepper until smooth.
3. Dip the zucchini sticks into the batter and then cover them with Panko breadcrumbs.
4. Place the zucchini fries onto a large parchment-lined baking tray and bake at 400°F for about 35 minutes.
Why Make Them Without Breadcrumbs
Breadcrumbs, in general, are high in carbs, 1 cup has 77 carbs.wow thats a lot! So if you are on a low carb diet you need to have an alternative to breadcrumbs on the zucchini fries. Hence the reason we use the parmesan cheese. It makes crispy oven-baked zucchini fries just as much as breadcrumbs do.
The Ingredients And Substitutes
All you need is zucchini and a handful of pantry staples for this oven-baked zucchini fries recipe.
- Zucchini: 1-2 small zucchini are all you need for these baked zucchini fries. You could also use summer squash.
- Breadcrumbs: Use whatever you have to hand regular breadcrumbs, panko , gluten-free if necessary, or even homemade breadcrumbs.
- Flour: General all-purpose flour will work well. Alternatively, for a gluten-free option, use rice flour, tapioca starch, or cornstarch.
- Milk: Use any unsweetened plant-based milk almond, coconut, soy, oat, etc.
- Seasonings: I used a simple combination of paprika, chili powder , seasoned salt, and general salt & pepper.
Tips For Zucchini Fries
- Make sure your zucchini are dry. If youve just pulled them from the fridge before slicing they may start to condensate. Blot them with a paper towel before placing in the egg wash to make sure the egg sticks.
- Get your assembly line in order. Have the sliced zucchini on one side, then the egg wash, parmesan mix and parchment-lined baking tray on the other side.
- Keep your hands in separate working stations. Use one hand for dipping the zucchini in the egg and one hand for coating the zucchini with the parmesan. Dont use the same hand for both, otherwise youll end up with wet cheese and clumpy zucchini fries.
- Flip halfway through. Every oven cooks slightly different so keep an eye on them. Mine cook for about 30 minutes and I flip at 15 minutes, but yours may very based on your oven and size of zucchini.
- Eat immediately! As Ive mentioned on my zucchini noodle tutorial, zucchini are comprised of 95% water. And after theyve been cooked they quickly release that water. That means, the longer they sit the softer theyll become. So these zucchini fries are best eaten right away.
How To Make Vegan Zucchini Fries:
Preheat oven to 425° Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and generoulsy spray with cooking oil spray, set aside.
Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and then into sticks, about 1 inch or so thick and approximately 4 inches long.
Add the wet batter ingredients to a medium size mixing bowl and whisk to combine
Mix the dry breading ingredients in a shallow plate
Dip zucchini into the batter, making sure it is fully coated, the batter will be thick. Now dredge in the Panko bread mixture, gently pressing to coat. Repeat with remaining zucchini
Place zucchini on prepared baking sheet. Spray tops with cooking oil spray. Bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown and crispy, flipping halfway through cooking time.
Enjoy! Serve with my 5 minute vegan ranch dressing and or a side of warm marinara sauce. Ketchup is a great dipper too! For full recipe ingredients and instructions see recipe card below.
The Best Zucchini To Make Crispy Fries
Ensure your zucchini are super fresh. If they feel soft and limp – don’t use them.
Look for small to medium zucchini. Large zucchini tend to be more watery.
If you find your fries are feeling wet, pat them dry with a kitchen towel before dipping into the egg wash!
2.) Whisk the eggs with a fork and place in one shallow bowl. In the second bowl, mix the almond flour, ground flax, garlic powder, parmesan, seasoning and optional Italian herbs.
Using shallow, opened rimmed bowls for the eggs and crumb mixes allows you to dip more zucchini at once.
And this is something I will try next time: To further minimise wet clumps, . This way you’ll have a fresh, dry non-eggy coating mix half way through!
3.) Dip each zucchini fry in egg.
Important: Shake off the excess egg and only then dip into the breadcrumb mix. Do in small batches of 3 – 4 fries at a time to prevent too much clumping.
5.) Place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and repeat until all the fries are used up. Depending on the size of your oven, you’ll need 2-3 trays.
Don’t place the zucchini closer than shown in the image above – they need space to crisp up!
Drizzle with olive oil or generously spray. Bake for about 25 minutes until crisp, turning after 20 minutes.
Remove the keto zucchini fries from the oven and allow to cool slightly to crisp up and serve with lemon aioli or your favourite dip.
Recipe Notes And Tips
- Use uniform strips. Cut the zucchini into similar sized strips so that they cook evenly.
- Don’t stack them. Place the zucchini fries in a single layer on the baking sheet. If they are overcrowded, they will steam rather than get crispy. Bake them in multiple batches if necessary.
- Flip halfway. Turn the fries over halfway through the baking time so that they get crispy all over.
Baked Zucchini Sticks So Easy
We LOVE Zucchini!!
Its no secret at our house, especially because we buy it ALL the time! Its one of those versatile veggies that you can make several side dishes with and can even throw it into dessert to make you feel like its somewhat healthy.
Todays recipe is one of our FAVORITE ways to enjoy zucchiniZucchini Fries! They only require a handful of ingredients and about 15 minutes of prep work, and let me tell you, these baked zucchini sticks are SO good and crunchy.
Its a great side dish with any meal especially an Italian dish or even Roast or Steak. We had these zucchini sticks last week with pasta and they were gone in no time. We sometimes serve these as an appetizer with Homemade Ranch dressing or , but they are great on their own too!
Is Zucchini Fries Better Than French Fries
A healthier alternative to french fries would be to make zucchini fries instead. They are healthier in terms of them being much lower in carbs high in fiber and nutrients. It is also a good idea to bake your zucchini fries rather than frying them. They are just as crispy and delicious when you bake them!