Tips From The Betty Crocker Kitchens
- tip 1 For the classic chicken cordon bleu, the stuffed chicken breasts are browned in oil in a skillet before being transferred to the oven while this version is only baked.
- tip 2 Arrange individual chives in a decorative pattern atop each serving. Chive flowers, like the flowers of most other herbs, are edible they taste like chives. The stalks of chives that have gone to flower, however, are tough and fibrous.
- tip 3 Rice pilaf and steamed asparagus spears round out this meal.
- tip 4 This is one of the most classic, time-honored chicken recipes in American cooking, but it has international origins and a French name. Cordon bleu in Chicken Cordon Bleu translates to blue ribbon, and its a reference to cooking of a very high standard or done by exceptional cooks.
- tip 5 Switzerland is considered a probable contender for the geographical homeland of Chicken Cordon Bleu. The French name makes sense when you consider that certain regions of the country are French speaking .
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Healthier: Traditional chicken cordon bleu is shallow or deep fried. This version is oven baked so theres no need to use any oil.
- Simple ingredients: Its highly likely that you will have most things on hand already to make this delicious dinner, so you have no excuses!
- Family friendly: This is a great dinner that the whole family will enjoy, even the picky eaters. Ham and cheese rolled in chicken. Whats no to love?!
What Tools Will I Need To Make This Recipe
We all love the ease and simplicity of a recipe card, with the clean separation between what ingredients youll need, and what youll need to do. Sometimes though, that isnt quite enough.
Theres nothing worse than going out and buying all the ingredients for a recipe to them come home and realize you dont have all the baking tools the recipe requires.
I have definitely felt that pain before, so to make sure you really have everything you need, be sure to check out this list of just a few simple kitchen tools youll want to have on hand.
- Meat mallet
- Meat thermometer
To find the full ingredient list and directions, scroll to the bottom for the printable recipe card.
Recommended Reading: Honey Baked Ham Goodlettsville Tn
Nothing Is Better Than An Easy Chicken Dinner
This chicken cordon bleu recipe if ideal for nights when you want to feel like youre really getting that blue ribbon quality dinner. With a dish this flavorful, it will be a dinner no one can stop talking about! You wont want to miss out on this one!
For all of your other easy dinner needs be sure to check out even more of family-friendly chicken recipes! Here are a few that would be perfect to add to your dinner menu this week!
How Do I Keep My Chicken From Drying Out In The Oven
To begin, brine the chicken for around 20 to 30 minutes in a combination of water and a few teaspoons of salt until it is tender. This will enhance the natural taste and moisture of the chicken breasts, resulting in a piece of meat that is extremely delicate to the touch and delicious. This is the only step that will truly assure that your chicken will not be dry or rough when you serve it.
Also Check: Potassium In Baked Potato With Skin
Can You Cook Chickens In An Air Fryer
Spray air fryer with cooking spray or olive oil, place the chicken in breast-side down in the air fryer basket, and air fry for 30 minutes. Flip the chicken and air fry for an additional 15-30 minutes, depending on the size. Let the tender and juicy Air Fryer Roast Chicken rest for a few minutes before serving.
What size air fryer can cook a whole chicken?
What size air fryer do you need to cook a whole chicken? We have a Phillips XXL Air Fryer that has a 3 lb / 4 qt capacity and we are able to fit a 5 lb chicken in there. If you have a smaller air fryer than 3 lb / 4 qt, Id recommend getting a smaller chicken around 3 or 4 lbs.
Do you flip chicken in air fryer?
Give it a shake To help food crisp, always turn, rotate or shake the contents in the air-fryer basketjust like flipping french fries, fish fillets or chicken tenders halfway through cooking in a traditional oven).
How Long Does A Chicken Take To Cook In A Air Fryer
To Cook Frozen Chicken Breast in the Air Fryer: Preheat the air fryer to 360 degrees F. Drizzle the chicken with olive oil and season as desired. Spray the air fryer basket with non-stick spray then air fry the chicken for 18 to 20 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
What temperature do you air fry chicken at?
Cook in the air fryer at 360 degrees for 9 minutes. Open the air fryer and flip the chicken. . Cook for another 9 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
Why is my air fried chicken not crispy?
Dry the outside of the food properly before you add oil. Do not use too much oil, as this will make the food less crispy and more fattening. Meat or poultry can be lightly brushed with oil or marinated to get the crispiest results.
Don’t Miss: How Long Does It Take To Bake Banana Bread
What To Serve With Chicken Cordon Bleu
A perfect match for this main course that takes hardly any effort to prepare is steamed rice with veggies. This starchy and filling dish is an indispensable partner for the protein-rich cordon bleu. Dont hesitate to go for a big casserole of roasted vegetables, a plate of garlic mashed potatoes, or a generous serving of balsamic-glazed green beans. These delicious sides will put chicken cordon bleu in the best light taste-wise.
How Long Do You Cook Premade Chicken Cordon Bleu
Step #2: Prepare Your Premade Chicken Cordon Bleu
You May Like: Baked Bread And Pastry Company
Chicken Cordon Bleu Ingredients
- Chicken: Use skinless chicken breasts for this recipe. Cut them in half and pound them flat before rolling with the cheese and ham.
- Ham: Use sliced ham for this recipe.
- Cheese: Use cheese slices for this recipe. I like to use Swiss cheese or Gruyere.
- Egg: So that the breadcrumbs adhere to the chicken.
- Parmesan: Use freshly grated parmesan for the best flavor and texture.
- Breadcrumbs: I like to use fine seasoned breadcrumbs. Use gluten-free if you have an intolerance. Panko breadcrumbs can also be used.
- For the Dijon sauce: Butter, flour, milk, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, parmesan, salt, and black pepper.
How To Make Chicken Cordon Bleu
This easy chicken cordon bleu does take a few steps but none of them are hard! Heres a good tip: soak the toothpicks in water before securing the chicken so they dont burn in the oven and will slide easily out of the finished chicken roll. I always put 2 toothpicks per roll so I can account for all of them when I am serving.
Voila! A fancy restaurant meal that really is easy to make at home !
Also Check: Best Homemade Baked Mac And Cheese
How To Make Baked Chicken Cordon Bleu
The process of making this Low-Carb Chicken Cordon Bleu is so easy, that I am almost embarrassed to share it. ALMOST! I know you all need easy chicken recipes just like me.
- First, place chicken breasts into a baking dish in an even layer and season with salt and pepper.
- Brush mustard over each piece of chicken. Be sure to dish out some mustard into a separate dish BEFORE making this recipe, you don’t want to be putting your brush or spoon back into a jar of mustard after touching raw meat.
- Cover the chicken with thinly sliced ham, overlapping slices if needed.
- Cover each piece of chicken with thinly sliced cheese, overlapping slices if needed so that the entire piece of chicken is covered with cheese.
- Pour wine or chicken stock around the chicken breasts and then place them into the oven.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a digital thermometer registers 160 degrees. The amount of time your chicken needs to cook will be based on the individual size of the chicken breasts. It is best to use a thermometer to ensure that you don’t overcook your chicken.
- Finish the dish by broiling for 2-3 minutes to brown the cheese and for the chicken to finish cooking and reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
The Best Ways To Serve Chicken Cordon Blue
With a dish as versatile as an easy chicken cordon bleu recipe, there are plenty of ways to serve it.
Another one of my favorite ways to serve this is as a fun and sophisticated appetizer at a dinner party.
To make this into a quick appetizer, just prep the chicken as normal, and before serving, cut each breast into small slices.
Also Check: Honey Baked Ham Wake Forest
How To Bake Prepared Breaded Chicken Cordon Bleu
Traditional chicken cordon bleu calls for boneless skinless chicken breasts to be pounded thin, wrapped around slices of ham and cheese, dipped in seasoned breadcrumbs and whisked eggs, then pan- or deep-fried in oil and butter. The result is far from healthy. Prepare your own with low-fat cheese and egg substitute and bake rather than fry it for a dish with far less fat and saturated fat per serving. If you prefer to purchase packaged frozen cordon bleu, look for brands low in fat and sodium.
How Long Do You Cook Frozen Chicken Breast For
When cooking chicken straight from the freezer, you want to cook for 50 percent longer than you would with unfrozen. The average unfrozen chicken breast weighing 5-7 ounces usually takes 20-30 minutes at 350xb0F. So for a frozen chicken breast, youre looking at 30-45 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken breast.
Recommended Reading: Quick And Easy Baked Zucchini Recipes
What Are Other Temperatures To Cook Chicken Cordon Bleu In The Oven
You can also choose to cook chicken cordon bleu at 400 degrees in the oven for 25 minutes. This will render the coating slightly crispier. You may love it, if you are a fan of crunchy food. Speaking of whats inside, the breast will come out tender and succulent while the ham and cheese will complete it with additional tenderness and savoriness. The result is pretty much the same as at 375 degrees. The main difference is the tougher and browner exterior crisp.
If you are not that much into tough and brown coating, you can bake the cordon bleu at 350 degrees in the oven. The crust will turn pretty thin and come out with almost no crunch. Inside the roll, you will get an explosion of flavors and impressively tender meat and cheese that will make your guests ask for a second round. Make sure you are not pressed for time if you choose to bake at 350 degrees F, as it takes 35-40 minutes to bring the chicken cordon bleu to perfection.
Should Chicken Breasts Be Baked Covered Or Uncovered
As long as the chicken is baked uncovered, there is no need to be concerned about the poultry being covered during baking. Once the chicken is in the oven, you may leave it in there until you need to check the temperature. So if youre feeling adventurous, you can whip up a no-cook appetizer, side dish, or dessert in no time at all.
Don’t Miss: Great British Bake Off Series 1 Watch Online
How Long To Bake Chicken Cordon Bleu In Oven At 375 Degrees
Chicken cordon bleu is a marvelous delicacy that brings together tender chicken breast, savory ham, and melt-in-your-mouth cheese. This dish can be prepared in the oven. The common temperature to use is 375 degrees. So how long to bake chicken cordon bleu in oven at 375 degrees?In this post, I like to give an answer to this question as well as some tips on the chicken cordon bleu recipe.
What Is Chicken Cordon Bleu
Chicken cordon bleu is actually ham slices and cheese wrapped by chicken breast meat. The chicken breast meat has to be flatten to a thin layer so that it is easy to wrap around the ham and cheese. Another reason to flatten to a thin layer is so that it is easy to have a bit that will have all 3 ingredients chicken, ham and cheese in the same bite.
Also Check: Bak Industries Rollbak Tonneau Cover
What Sides Go With Chicken Cordon Bleu
Chicken Cordon bleu has rich and bold flavors so I like to make it the start of the meal and make veggies for the side dish. There are lots of veggies that will pair well and we have lots of veggie side dish recipes that you can easily make here on the blog. Check out some of our favorite easy side dishes to pair with baked chicken cordon blue.
Tips For Preparing Chicken
Prepping chicken, especially chicken for a meal like a cordon bleu recipe, can seem a little daunting. You might find yourself asking questions like, Am I accidentally contaminating anything or how do I get that perfectly tender and juicy chicken I see at restaurants
To ease some of the pain and confusion, here are a few of my favorite pro tips for prepping chicken.
- Use fresh meat if possible: I love using frozen chicken, and its a great way to save a little money, and to be able to buy meat in bulk, but I will say, if you really want the best quality, and juiciness, its best to use fresh meat thats never been frozen.
- Even out the chicken: For even cooking, youll want to pound the meat until its a uniform thickness. To do that just Lay a chicken breast between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and use a meat mallet to pound the chicken to ¼ thickness. Be careful not to pound any holes in the chicken.
- Dont cross-contaminate: Raw chicken can easily contaminate other food and kitchen tools if you arent careful. To avoid any contamination, be sure to put any tools used on the raw chicken right into the dishwasher, or into a sink full of very hot water and soap. Also be sure to thoroughly wash your hands after coming into contact with any of the meat, or juice.
Read Also: Chili’s Loaded Baked Potato Soup Ingredients
How To Cook Chicken In An Air Fryer
Rub olive oil on the chicken. In a small bowl add the Italian seasoning, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Rub on each sides of the chicken. Cook in the air fryer at 360 degrees for 9 minutes.
Can you cook chicken Cordon Bleu in an air fryer?
My son loves this air-fryer chicken cordon bleu. My recipe has all the yummy flavors in a 30-minute meal. Leftovers freeze well, too. -Ronda Eagle, Goose Creek, South Carolina.
Is it better to fry food in the air fryer?
Ive noticed that the breading on foods fried in the air fryer seem to be much more fragile and the crispiness doesnt last long. So its best to go light on breading and serve immediately. Ive also noticed that when I fry chicken in the air fryer I dont need to brine it in buttermilk like I usually do. Its soooooo juicy!
Can You Put Chicken Breast Straight In The Oven
Cook the chicken breasts in the oven for 18-20 minutes at 365 degrees Fahrenheit , depending on the size of the poultry breasts. Before removing them from the oven, cut into one of them with a knife to see whether they are finished. Allow the chicken breasts to stand for 2-3 minutes after removing them from the oven to ensure that all of the fluids are retained.
Also Check: Honey Baked Ham Canton Ohio
Can You Make This Recipe With Chicken Thighs
Chicken breasts are best to use for this recipe. When you pound them out, they have a large and even surface area perfect for rolling with the ham and cheese. You can make this with thighs, but the final presentation may not be quite the same. If you use thighs, you will need to increase the cooking time by 5 minutes.
Tips From The Pillsbury Kitchens
- tip 1 When you buy chicken breasts at the store, you may notice they vary in thickness. Pound each chicken breast on a cutting board before stuffing to ensure each is uniform.
- tip 2 You can stuff 1 to 2 thin slices of deli ham in the pocket of each chicken breast in place of the chopped ham.
- tip 3 To quickly melt butter, cover and microwave on High about 30 seconds.
- tip 4 Stick an instant-read meat thermometer in the thickest part of the chicken and check for a temperature of 165°F to be sure your chicken is fully cooked before serving.
- tip 5 To make this meal complete, serve stuffed chicken cordon bleu with a side of fresh salad or vegetables like roasted broccoli.
You May Like: What To Bake Macaroni And Cheese On