Tips For The Best Macaroni And Cheese Youll Ever Eat
Feel like you may still need some help? If you have time, jump over to this post for the juicy details: 18 Secrets to the Richest, Creamiest Mac and Cheese Youll Ever Eat or focus on these tips:
Never stop stirring your milk once it hits the pan. If your skillet is too hot or you walk away and for a minute you could scorch the white sauce and it will curdle. It doesnt really hurt the taste, but it will look sort of clumpy. Some readers have called it grainy. It only takes 5 minutes. Just hang out and stir until that sauce is thick enough to coat the back of your spoon.
Use good cheese in your baked macaroni and cheese. That means avoiding bagged, pre-shredded cheeses because they contain cellulose that can in some cases cause your cheese not to melt as it should. -And speaking of cheese, you have so many options! My favorite is sharp cheddar and Swiss.
Do taste as you go. Taste your cheese sauce before you add your pasta. Is it bland? That can be because of the cheese you used or even the kind of salt you seasoned with. If it doesnt have enough flavor, add a pinch more salt, stir it in and taste it again until it suits you.
-Feel free to add more pasta if you want to. Some people say that this recipe doesnt have enough noodles in it, but Ive never had that problem. And yes, you should cook your pasta before adding it to the cheese sauce.
The Best Cheese For Mac And Cheese
Sharp Cheddar is my first choice for flavor however you can certainly use your favorite cheeses. Mix it up and use a bit of gruyere, or even pepper jack for a little kick. If you have bits of cheese leftover, you can combine them all together in this easy homemade cheese sauce.
This recipe has a special ingredient that is a little bit unconventional but makes it extra yummy AND it is optional. The addition of cheddar cheese soup makes the sauce a little bit extra velvety and just adds a little something. I think its much better than Mac and cheese with Velveeta! Give it a try! .
About This Easy Baked Macaroni And Cheese:
This baked macaroni and cheese is made like Grandma used to make it, the old fashioned, baked in a casserole dish style. If youre looking for a creamy, non-baked recipe, youll probably love this copycat Panera mac and cheese or Instant Pot macaroni and cheese.
I just love this baked macaroni and cheese, though. Its a little bit chewier, with lots of great cheddar cheese flavor, and I especially love the way the top crisps up in the oven.
Plus its so easy! You just boil pasta, mix with grated cheese, a couple tablespoons of flour, and seasonings, put it in a casserole dish, and pour the milk over it. Thats it! No messing with white sauces or tricky steps. No getting four pots and pans dirty!
You can prep this macaroni and cheese ahead of time and keep it in the fridge overnight. Its ready to bake when you want it!
Baked mac and cheese is a total crowd pleaser. This is a great recipe for busy weeknight meals but also for entertaining. Perfect for potlucks!
Enjoy one of our familys favorite meals! I grew up eating this macaroni and cheese and it was always a special day when my mom prepared it. Now I love serving it to my family and I especially love how easy it is to prepare. Im sure you will too!
You May Like: Baked Mac And Cheese Nytimes
Homemade Macaroni And Cheese: What Kind Of Cheese Should I Use
I honestly use different cheese combinations almost every time I make this mac and cheese recipe but the one I always come back to is sharp cheddar and Gruyere. If you cant find Gruyere, Jarlsberg Swiss cheese is the best substitute. Other cheese that work: mozzarella, jack cheese or pepper jack for a little zip, American and Velveeta as well for a creamier cheese sauce. This baked mac and cheese uses 6 cups of cheese so just
To add even more flavor to my homemade mac and cheese, I add Parmesan to the Panko topping so good!
How To Make Baked Macaroni And Cheese
As we decided to keep this recipes ingredients fairly basic, you may already have these ingredients. You will need the following:
- Elbow macaroni
We like to prepare our ingredients beforehand. As such I would recommend that you get the cheeses prepared before cooking. This way youre not in a panic trying to get that done before the pasta is ready.
Grate both the cheddar and sharp cheddar cheeses and combine together in a bowl.
Divide the cheeses into three groups.
- One group will make up the sauce 3 cups
- Another group will be added in between layers of the macaroni and cheese 1 1/2 cups
- And the last group will top the dish 1 1/2 cups.
Bring salted water to a boil in a large pot.
Add the pasta and cook until al dente, usually about 1 minute less than the package directs to cook pasta.
While the pasta is cooking, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease a 3-quart baking dish and set it aside.
Drain the pasta and set it aside.
Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Slowly add the flour in and whisk to combine. Continue to whisk and cook for about a minute.
Combine the milk and half and half into a large measuring cup.
Slowly pour in 2 cups of the half and half / milk mixture, whisking constantly. Whisk until smooth.
Slowly pour in the remaining half and half and the whole milk, whisking constantly, until smooth.
Whisking very often, continue to cook until the sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes.
Remove from the heat and add salt and pepper.
Recommended Reading: Bush’s Baked Beans Visitor Center
How To Make The Best Baked Macaroni And Cheese:
This recipe is the best because its SO easy to make. No fussing with making a roux or a cheese sauce.
Here are the simple steps:
In This Easy Baked Mac And Cheese You Will Need:
- olive oil spray
- dry mustard
In a bowl, combine both the 1-1/2 cups freshly grated cheddar and cheddar jack. For an extra cheese Mac and cheese, add in an extra 1/2 cup of cheddar jack.
Add 2 tablespoons of sea salt to a boiling pot of water. Add in 10 ounces of elbow pasta and cook 1 to 2 minute shy of the package directions. Drain into a colander.
Meanwhile, in a 10-inch skillet, melt 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter over medium heat.
One melted, sprinkle in 1/4 cup flour.
Continue to whisk while the flour/butter mixture cooks for 1 minute. While whisking, slowly pour in 2 cups of half & half.
Continue to whisk until the mixture has thickened to the consistency of a creamy soup.
Next, stir in 1-1/2 cups of the combined cheeses, 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard and 1/4 teaspoon paprika. Season with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and black pepper to taste.
Once the cheese sauce is smooth, add in the partially cooked pasta.
Using a rubber spatula, toss the pasta in the cheese sauce to coat.
Add half of the macaroni and cheese sauce to a lightly sprayed casserole dish. Top with half the remaining cheese, the rest of the macaroni and cheese and the last of the shredded cheese.
Read Also: Recipe For No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
Can I Refrigerate Before Baking
Yes, you can refrigerate macaroni and cheese before you bake it. This make-ahead mac and cheese is a great option for meal prep. Do all the cooking whenever you have the time and bake it right before youre ready to eat.
To refrigerate before baking, you will complete all the steps up to putting the mixture in the pan. Cover the dish with foil and refrigerate for up to two days. When youre ready to bake it, pull the mac out of the fridge while the oven is preheating and top with breadcrumbs and Parmesan.
You will need to bake the macaroni and cheese casserole a little longer since itll be cold. Bake for about 30-40 minutes until heated through.
Easiest Baked Macaroni And Cheese
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Easiest ever baked macaroni and cheese this is a go-to recipe of many of my readers and it will become the same for your family!
This is the easiest ever macaroni and cheese! And so delicious!
Recommended Reading: Bak Revolver X2 Best Price
How To Make A Bread Crumb Topping
Combine the following and sprinkle over your casserole before baking.
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon parsley
This recipe makes an extra saucy creamy macaroni. Do not over-bake this recipe. You want it creamy and rich, over-baking will cause it to dry out. I find that 20 minutes is perfect in my oven, the cheese sauce will thicken slightly while standing.
Easy Baked Mac And Cheese
Get your cheese fix with this Easy Baked Mac and Cheese! Cheddar and jack cheese melted into a simple sauce, tossed with elbow macaroni and then layered making this the cheesiest baked mac and cheese!! Serves 6 in under an hour.
Lets get to the point, shall we? Who here has had mac and cheese that the sauce has either been absorbed into the pasta or the sauce has broken, making it clumpy and gloppy? Ive made so many baked macaroni and cheese recipes and all end up either too dry or curdle-y. After years of bad mac and cheese, I was determined to make a homemade macaroni and cheese that was creamy and dreamy.
With that said, I have a theory. One, is that bad mac and cheese is both baked at too high of a temperature and for far too long. The combination of both makes the milk solids separate. This recipe however, is mostly done in a skillet before being baked at a lower temperature for 10 minutes and then a quick trip under the broiler for those undeniable crispy brown bits.
Yielding the best baked Mac and cheese, Ive ever made.
Recommended Reading: Samsung Toast And Bake Microwave Oven Mt1066sb
Variations Of Mac And Cheese
- Bacon if you love bacon, feel free to add some crispy, crumbled bacon to the topping, or even inside the mac and cheese as well!
- Stovetop if youd prefer not to bake this mac and cheese, you dont have to! Make sure you boil your pasta until al dente , and youll only need about 3 3 1/2 cups of cheese total. No need to layer the pasta and cheese, just add all the cheese to the sauce, then combine with the pasta.
- Different Toppings Im a huge fan of the cheese layer on top, since it gets nice and crispy, but we also love tossing 1 cup of panko with 2 Tbsp of melted butter and using that as a topping. 1 cup of crushed Ritz crackers with 2 Tbsp of butter work amazingly well too!
- Different Baking Times the recipe calls for a lower baking temperature and time, but most of the time I find myself adjusting that based on my familys tastes. I like to bake this mac and cheese at 350 F degrees for 30 minutes, then broil for 2-3 minutes to get that glorious cheesy crust.
Baked Macaroni And Cheese
Baked macaroni and cheese doesnt have to be complicated with layers of ingredients to be the soul-warming food you crave. This homemade baked macaroni and cheese is my most favorite and has pleased crowds, small families, kids and picky eaters alikegive it a try and youll see why.
Sometimes you buy that glowing yellow macaroni in the box. Your kids like it, but it glows like the kryptonite they used in the old Christoper Reeve Superman movies.
Thats not normal people.
And I hate to break it to you, but theres nothing real in that box either.
I hate feeding it to my kids and I dare say that you hate it too. But I can also guess you dont know many other alternatives. Sure, you can get a box of Velveeta and melt that over some noodles. That works too, but that stuff doesnt even need to be refrigerated. Its mystery cheese.
So if youre looking for the real deal, the old school baked macaroni and cheese the way your grandma might have made itthis is it.
And just so you know, aside from the baking, this easy macaroni and cheese took 15 minutes and only two pans to make. One for boiling the pasta and a good enameled cast iron pan for the sauce and the baking cuts down on dishes. So yes, even you can make this on a week night.
Also Check: The Honey Baked Ham Co
Homestyle Meatloaf With Brown Sugar Glaze
Make ahead dinners are more than freezer food and slow cooker soups. This homestyle meatloaf with brown sugar glaze can be tossed together the night before and baked after you get in from work. Itll be done before the news is off.
I guess Im going to have to castrate my own cow. I told my husband over dinner a couple of nights ago.
Most men would have choked on their dinner, but my husband never broke his chewing stride.
Do you know how to castrate a cow? He asked.
(This is where most men would say something like Honey Ill help you or I dont want you to get hurt, Ill make sure it gets done but not my husband. Hes totally willing to let me go it on my own.
Well I dont know how to do it your way but I do know one We went on to discuss topics that dont belong on a food blog, but lets just say I am no further in my quest for fresh beef than I was when I started. We have black Angus cattle in the pasture right outside, but Im still buying my meat at the grocery. Why?
Mostly because by the time Jeremy decides we might make a beef the calf is 400 pounds and almost looking us in the eye. Its too late then folks. I have had too many bruises to name from my husbands big cattle working ideas and I dont need any more.
I use ground chuck for the best flavor and drain it twice as it cooks. Just tip the pan carefully at an angle until you can dip out most of the drippings with a spoon or hold the meatloaf steady with a spatula and slowly tip it to drain it.
Tips For The Best Homemade Baked Mac And Cheese
- Use block cheese and shred, do not buy the pre-shredded cheese. The pre-shredded cheese is great for so many things but not macaroni and cheese. Its coated and wont melt properly. You need to shred it yourself for the best result.
- Cook your pasta to slightly less than al dente, about one minute shy is perfect. The reason is that this is baked mac and cheese so the pasta will continue to cook in the homemade cheese sauce in the oven. You dont want soggy macaroni.
- I used elbow pasta but really, any tubular past will work.
- This mac and cheese recipe starts with a roux. The roux is super important to getting the creamiest cheese sauce of your life. Here is what you need to look for:
- The roux is whisked together until bubbly and golden.
- Whisk in cold milk not warm to prevent the flour from clumping.
- Cook the roux until you see bubbles on the surface and then continue cooking for an additional 2 minutes before adding the cheese.
Other Side Dishes You Will Enjoy
- Grate both the cheddar and sharp cheddar cheeses and combine together in a bowl.
Cheese Division Divide into three groups
- One group will make up the sauce 3 cups
- One group will be added in between layers of the macaroni and cheese 1 1/2 cups
- Last group will top the dish 1 1/2 cups
- Set groups of cheese aside.
Pasta Cook And Prep
- Bring salted water to a boil in a large pot.
- Add the pasta and cook until al dente, usually about 1 minute less than the package directs to cook pasta.
- While the pasta is cooking, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 3-quart baking dish and set it aside.
- Drain the pasta and set it aside.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Slowly add the flour in and whisk to combine. Continue to whisk and cook for about a minute.
- Combine the milk and half and half into a large measuring cup.
- Slowly pour in 2 cups of the half and half, whisking constantly. Whisk until smooth.
- Slowly pour in the remaining half and half and the whole milk, whisking constantly, until smooth.
- Slowly pour in the remaining half and half and the whole milk, whisking constantly, until smooth.
- Whisking very often, continue to cook until the sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add salt and pepper.
- Add the cheese portion that makes up 3 cups. First, add half of it and mix to combine.
- Once melted, add the additional 1 1/2 cups and continue to stir until melted and smooth.
Putting It Together