Roasted Zucchini And Squash
This easy recipe for Roasted Zucchini and Squash uses fresh summer squash thats tossed with oil and Italian seasonings and gets roasted up in the oven until tender. It makes a perfect healthy side dish that is ready in 20 minutes!
Over the years, zucchini has become a wonder vegetable. Ive seen it used in so many different ways like pasta or zucchini boats, but I promise you, roasting up zucchini and squash still tastes amazing!
If you have an abundance of zucchini and yellow squash in the summer months, this simple oven-roasted method is perfect for you. All youll need to do is chop up the squash, toss it with oil and seasonings, then roast it in the oven until fork-tender for a veggie side dish that is healthy, and low in calories and carbs, and can be seasoned any way you like.
Tips And Tricks For Perfect Roasted Squash And Zucchini
Although making roasted squash and zucchini is pretty straightforward, we will have to take care of a few things for better results:
- Make sure all the slices are of equal sizes. This way, the vegetables will cook evenly.
- If you dont want to slice the vegetables, you can dice them into small pieces as well. Diced vegetables also cook at the same time. Again, make sure they are even in size.
- Most people prefer not to peel the vegetables. It is convenient and saves time as well. However, if you dont like the skin, you can peel it before cooking.
- You can add more vegetables like onions to make the dish more vibrant.
- If you dont want to add whole garlic cloves, you can add garlic powder as well.
- To bring in more flavor, add jerk seasoning to the vegetables. It will taste great.
Parmesan Roasted Zucchini And Squash
Zucchini and squash, squash and zucchini. These vegetables are inseparable. Add a little seasoning, a dash of parmesan, and some crunchy panko . Suddenly we have the best roasted zucchini and squash recipe!An easy side dish that takes just minutes of prep.
This post may include affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Please read the entire post for tips and tricks to ensure a perfect recipe every time. And don’t forget to tag so we can admire your creation!
If you are new around here, Peel with Zeal is known for our vegetable recipes. Out of season we roast them and make them into veggie sandwiches or pair them with polenta cakes and eggplant.
In the summer, we are about maximizing flavors, like with our popular yellow squash soup and my favorite tomato pie.
Whatever the season, vegetable side dishes are our thing! And this parmesan zucchini and squash recipe is no different.
You May Like: Campbell Soup Chicken And Rice Bake
Are Squash And Zucchini The Same
For those who dont know a lot about squash, let me tell you there are about 100 different types of squash available throughout the year. These varieties come and go all around the year.
Now for those who confuse zucchini with squash, let me tell you that zucchinis are a type of squash. They are closely related to each other. Both of these vegetables are prepared more or less the same way.
Also, they have a white, tender, and quite soft interior. It is almost squashy and spongy. Apart from these slight similarities, there are several differences as well. Here are a few to name:
- Color: A zucchini has a dark green to golden yellow color. At the same time, a squash is essentially yellow.
- Shape: zucchini has a straight and long shape, more like a cylinder. In contrast, a squash is shaped like a pear. It has a bulb-like bottom, and the top is relatively narrow.
Do You Roast Squash Cut Side Up Or Down
There are tips and tricks that can be used. If you place the squash cut side down on the baking sheet, you dont have to worry about drying it out. When you roast squash open-faced for 45 minutes it will dry out and the inside will form strings in the squash.
Recommended Reading: Lays Baked Chips Variety Pack
How Do You Cut And Cook Yellow Squash
How to Dice Yellow Squash
What Is The Difference Between Zucchini And Yellow Squash
Zucchini and yellow squash are very similar summer squash varieties with the exception of color and shape.
Zucchini is long and straight with green coloring. There are multiple varieties of zucchini that will affect the shade of green, and there is even a grey zucchini that is usually a light shade of grey-green with spots .
Yellow squash is usually rounded at the base and tapers up the neck of the squash to where it was attached to the plant stem. Yellow Squash comes in ‘straight neck’ or ‘crook neck’ varieties, where the straight neck is exactly what it sounds like while the crook neck makes a hook-like shape with its curved neck.
Both zucchini and yellow squash taste great pan-fried, oven roasted, air fried, skewered, and grilled, and they’re even great in soups like my Caldo de Pollo Mexicano ! This is also true of some of my other favorite summer squash varieties like patty pan , costata romanesco , baby round zucchini, and cube of butter squash.
Read Also: Baton Rouge Health Care Center In Baker La
Why Should You Make Roasted Squash And Zucchini
Summertime is a high time for most of the vegetables, including squash and its several types. Although you might find them all around the year, in summers, these seem fresher and more vibrant. One of the most favorite vegetables during this season includes squash and zucchini. Thats because these are versatile.
There is so much you can make with these. From making spaghetti to roasting them, the sky is the limit. I particularly love roasting them, and you should do too! Here is why you should try this fantastic roasted squash and zucchini recipe:
- It is super easy to make. The maximum time you need will be slicing and roasting it. You can get this dish on a plate in literally 20 minutes. Its a perfect choice for a quick dinner.
- It is flavorsome. Apart from the spices and seasonings you add to give the flavor of the vegetables, you will also get a mild, rich, and slightly sweet taste of the vegetables. The best part is you can add whatever spice you want, and the final product will come out just perfect.
- Roasted squash and zucchini are very healthy dishes. Both vegetables are jam-packed with nutrients and offer vitamins and minerals. So, if you are on a diet or following a healthy lifestyle, I prefer you make this dish today!
- Lastly, it is vegan. So, for those who are on a vegan diet, it cant get any better!
How Many Zucchini And Squash Do I Need
Youll want to have about four pounds of zucchini and squash. Thats around 6 small squash or 4 medium-sized squash.
I use an analog kitchen scale to weigh my produce, but you can simply estimate in this recipe if needed.
If four pounds of squash doesnt even come close to using all of your summer squash harvest, check out this zucchini rice gratin.
Don’t Miss: Where Can I Watch Ong Bak
What Ingredients Do You Need To Make Zucchini And Yellow Squash Casserole
ZUCCHINI AND YELLOW SQUASH: Zucchini is usually a bit larger than yellow squash but try to find some that are similar in size. Cut them into 1/4 inch slices.
SALT, PEPPER & GRANULATED GARLIC: You can substitute garlic powder for the granulated garlic. If you only have garlic salt, you can use that as well, simply omit the other salt.
MOZZARELLA AND PARMESAN: Freshly shredded is best!
PANKO AND PLAIN DRY BREAD CRUMBS: This is what gives this casserole the crunchy topping.
OLIVE OIL: Will help ensure that the bread crumbs get golden brown in the oven.
How To Make Sauteed Zucchini And Yellow Squash
This veggie side dish is ridiculously easy to prepare. The only thing you’re going to need is a knife and skillet!
When finished, you’ll have 6 servings of tender and delicious zucchini and squash!
My sauteed zucchini and yellow squash would make a fantastic side for a meaty main course like my smoked bison prime rib or grilled pork steaks! You could also pair it with any tasty rib recipes!
Read Also: How To Clean Baked On Grease From Stainless Steel Pan
Tips For Roasting Zucchini And Squash
- Trim the stem but dont peel the skin. Wash thoroughly and pat dry.
- Cut each piece to a similar size, whether you cut it into rounds or spears. This helps with even baking.
- Thicker pieces make it easier to avoid soggy veggies, so unless youre dehydrating them into chips under low and slow heat, cut them to at least 1/2 inch thick for rounds, or quartered for spears.
- If you have a rack, use it to lay your squash on top of the baking sheet. Airflow all around will help it crisp up evenly.
- Do not overcrowd the pan causing too much steam transferring from one piece to another. Bake in batches or on two separate sheets if necessary.
- Finish under the broiler for a nice extra crispy texture. If you have sprinkled them with parmesan cheese after baking, placing them under the broiler will give it a nice golden crusty coating.
Whats The Difference Between Zucchini And Yellow Squash
First, they are interchangeable. Dont hesitate to swap one for the other depending on what kind of surplus you happen to have any given moment.
If you want to get technical, zucchini and yellow squash are both part of the summer squash family. Zucchini has medium to dark green skin, but its also available in a beautiful bright yellow.
Yellow squash is a more muted yellow color. One end is bulbous and slightly larger. It tapers as the neck goes up to the stem end and that part is slightly curved. All summer squash has thinner skin than winter squash, which has a much thicker exterior.
Read Also: Best Baked Mac And Cheese Recipe
Small Zucchini And Squash Are Preferable But Not Required
For roasted zucchini and squash, it looks prettier to have veggies that are on the smaller side. That way, they make lovely bite-sized rounds. Sometimes, summer zucchini can be massive! You can use it here, but wed recommend slicing the rounds in half. Also very large zucchini and squash can tend to have very large seeds, which dont taste as good as the smaller versions. So look for small to medium small vegetables.
Want to use all zucchini or all squash? You can do that too! Follow this recipe or go to Baked Zucchini and Roasted Yellow Squash.
Use An Air Fryer To Make A Quick And Easy Meal
If you are in a rush, your best bet to make a delicious baked zucchini dish without it turning into sludge is to use an air fryer. These nifty cooking tools use hot air to quickly cook food without the need for oil. To air fry your zucchini, simply preheat the air fryer to 400° Fahrenheit, lightly coat the slices in oil, and cook for 8-10 minutes.
The result will be a crispy, golden zucchini dish thats ready in no time. Plus, the air fryer wont heat up your kitchen like a regular oven would, meaning that you can make a quick and easy meal without having to turn on the oven.
Also Check: Baker College Student Loan Forgiveness
How Long To Bake Zucchini At 400 F
Baking is a great way to get creative in the kitchen and experiment with different flavors, and zucchini is a versatile vegetable that can be used in a variety of dishes. So, if youre looking for a delicious and healthy way to enjoy zucchini, you can try baking it at 400 Fahrenheit. The question, though, is how long to bake the vegetable to prevent it from becoming mushy.
The question of how long to bake zucchini depends on how thickly its sliced and how soft or crunchy you want it to be. Generally, youll need to bake the zucchini slices for 15 to 20 minutes or until they become golden brown. The amount of time can vary, so be sure to keep an eye on the zucchini to avoid burning.
Although baking vegetables may seem easier than roasting a ham or a turkey, the delicate nature of zucchini makes it more challenging than you might assume. Luckily, our recipe guide will help explain everything you need to know to make delicious, flavorful, and perfectly baked zucchini without fault.
Best Way To Cook Zucchini And Squash
As I mentioned, this recipe is simple to prepare and just as simple to clean up. Everything is mixed together in one large bowl and then roasted to perfection on a large baking sheet.
Recommended Reading: Honey Baked Ham Pinellas Park
How To Roast Squash And Zucchini In The Oven
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Quarter the squash and zucchini and arrange on the pan.
Drizzle or spray with olive oil, then sprinkle all the seasonings on top. Toss everything together right in the pan, then roast in the oven for 15-18 minutes, until lightly golden and cooked.
Sprinkle some parmesan on top after it comes out of the oven and serve!
How To Make A Squash And Zucchini Casserole
You need a few simple ingredients and some standard kitchen equipment to make a squash and zucchini casserole. First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Then, begin to dice the sweet onion and chop the zucchini and yellow squash into 1-inch pieces. Once these are diced and chopped, you will start sauteing the sweet onions, zucchini, and yellow squash over medium heat.
Depending on what you have on hand, this sauteing can be done in a medium frying pan or a cast-iron skillet. The cast-iron skillet can act as our casserole dish and reduce the number of dishes to clean in the end. But if you do not have a cast-iron skillet, no worries, an 8×8 square baking pan or 8-inch diameter round baking dish will also work perfectly.
So let the onion and squash mixture continue to cook until the onions become translucent and the squash and zucchini start to become tender.
After the onions are translucent and aromatic, turn off the heat. Whisk the cottage cheese, shredded cheese, egg, and black pepper in a small mixing bowl. If you are using a cast-iron skillet, pour the cottage cheese mixture into the cast iron and mix until all the squash and zucchini mixture is coated. If you are using a different baking dish, grease the sides of the pan with cooking oil or butter. Add the cottage cheese mixture into the squash mixture and then transfer it into the greased baking dish.
Don’t Miss: Baked Cheddar Mac And Cheese
Tips For Making Cheesy Zucchini And Squash Casserole:
- Swap cottage cheese for sour cream, cream cheese, or plain Greek yogurt if you do not have any. Note that the fat and protein content in all of these will vary.
- Add in 1 cup of cooked whole grain for additional protein and fiber, such as cooked brown rice or quinoa.
- If youâre a vegetable lover, donât be shy! Try adding chopped mushrooms, bell peppers, tomatoes, or even spinach. Add up to 1 cup extra veggies and sautÃ© with the onions, zucchini, and squash.
- Instead of a potluck-style casserole, try making these individually in small ramekins. Cut the baking time in half to avoid overcooking.
How To Cut Zucchini And Squash For Casserole
Cutting zucchini and squash for this casserole is super simple! After rinsing the produce items, youâll slice the top and bottom off to remove the rigid stem component. Next, youâll place the zucchini longwise on your cutting board and cut it in half. Then use the rule of halves. Keep slicing the zucchini in half until you yield consistent 1-inch pieces.
Recommended Reading: Fun Fall Treats To Bake