How To Make Baked Potato Chips
This article was co-authored by wikiHow Staff. Our trained team of editors and researchers validate articles for accuracy and comprehensiveness. wikiHow’s Content Management Team carefully monitors the work from our editorial staff to ensure that each article is backed by trusted research and meets our high quality standards.There are 8 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page. This article has been viewed 113,897 times.
Baked potato chips are a healthier option than traditional fried potato chips. They contain less fat and calories, and are easier to prepare. Make these homemade treats the same day you plan to eat them for peak flavor and crunch.
How To Make Potato Chips In The Microwave
When we first discovered microwave potato chips four years ago, it was nothing short of a revelation. Even now, the fact that a short spin in the microwave can transform slices of potato into crispy chips without needing a drop of oil still seems like magic. Heres how to make them.
The key to these microwaved chips is slicing them very thinly. Between 1/8-inch and 1/16-inch is ideal, and this is easiest and most quickly done on a mandoline slicer.
If you dont have a mandoline, use a very sharp chefs knife and get those slices as thin as you possibly can. If you get a few thick slices in there, no worries they still crisp up on the edges and take on a toothsome chewy texture in the middle.
Ive tried a few different potatoes and root vegetables with this technique over the years, and they all seem to work uniformly well. A soak and a rinse in cold water helps remove the starch in tubers that have a lot, which in turn helps them to crisp more quickly in the microwave.
These chips are surprisingly good all on their own with no adornments, but they also take very well to seasonings. I like to sprinkle a few pinches of sea salt over the tops just before they go in the microwave. A few shakes of chili powder or dried dill also make a fun change from the usual.
If youd like a richer flavor, brush the potato slices with olive oil before putting them in the microwave and before adding any spices.
How To Cook Them:
The trick to cooking baked potato chips so theyre crispy but not burnt is to cook them at a high temperature for a short amount of tim so set your oven to 200°C CircoTherm and place your tray of potatoes into the oven for approx. 20 minutes. To prevent your chips from burning, be sure to turn them frequently. Once crispy, remove from the oven and set aside to cool. Season with salt, pepper and herbs before serving. Enjoy!
Looking for popular potato recipes and tips? Try:
Also Check: How To Sell Baked Goods On Instagram
How Do You Make Jamie Oliver Oven Chips Crispy
Parboil the potato chips, skin on, for about 10 minutes in boiling salted water. Heat some olive oil in a frying pan, smash the garlic bulb and chuck in the cloves, then add the potato chips. Toss in the oil and season with pepper. Bake on the preheated tray for 15 to 20 minutes until crispy and golden.
Serve And Enjoy Homemade Potato Chips
Serve the potato chips the same day they are made for the absolute best result and to benefit from having gone to the trouble of making your own homemade potato chips. If you have extra chips or are working ahead for a party, know that you can store them in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to two days and maintain almost all of their divine crispiness.
Also Check: How To Bake Squash In The Oven
Tips To Make Baked Potato Chips Like A Pro
- Chili, cayenne or chipotle powder
- Old Bay seasoning
- Nutritional yeast for a vegan option
Why Make These Chips
- These are such an addiction. I highly recommend you make more than you think you need. As a guide, I usually use one potato per person. But, it’s almost never enough.
- The list of ingredients is very simple and easy such as potatoes, seasoning and oil.
- The baking time is less than 20 minutes. So you don’t really need to wait long for your comfort food.
- These are perfect to serve as an appetizer or a side dish with many main meals from simple burgers, sandwiches, and schnitzels. They are also the perfect healthy snack.
- And leftovers can be kept at room temperature in an airtight container to prevent them from going soft. The trick is to not add too much oil during baking to keep crispy chips.
Recommended Reading: For Sale By Owner Baker Fl
Why Are My Chips Burning
There could be several reasons. The altitude, your particular oven, the type of potatoes you’re using, and how thinly they’re sliced can all affect cooking time. It is important that all your chips are sliced as evenly as possible, to ensure that some don’t burn while others are still cooking. Russet potatoes have a high starch content , which is precisely what makes them get that golden brown color that’s so perfect for potato chips. This same quality, however, is what makes them burn quickly toward the end of the cooking process. Soaking your potatoes in a cold-water bath beforehand will help because it removes some of the surface starch that otherwise browns. If this is your first time making this recipe, bake your chips on the uppermost rack, keeping a careful eye on them. Check them after about 15 minutes and then every three minutes thereafter .
Preparation To Make Potato Chips
1. in a bowl take 3 cups water + 1 tsp salt. Stir so that the salt dissolves.
2. Rinse the potatoes first. Then peel and slice potatoes using a mandoline or a slicer directly in the bowl containing water. I used 3 large potatoes weighing 550 grams. About 20 ounces. You have to use a mandoline or a slicer for slicing the potatoes. The slices have to be thin. Dont slice with knife as thick slices do not become crisp when baked, but still they taste good.
3. slice all the potatoes and immerse them in the water. They should remain immersed in the salted water.
Don’t Miss: How To Watch The Great Celebrity Bake Off
Homemade Baked Sweet Potato Chips
So today Im sharing my Baked Sweet Potato Chips Recipe. Its super simple to make, requires only 3 ingredients, and tastes like better than store bought chips, because theyre fresh!
Plus, making sweet potato chips at home allows you full control of chip thickness, fat content, and seasoning.
Not. Too. Shabby.
How Can You Prevent Baked Chips From Burning Or Becoming Soggy
There are a few key steps to keep your baked potato chips crisp without being overcooked.
Before transferring the sliced chips into the oven, use a kitchen towel to pat the potato slices until they are completely dry. This step is crucial because any excess moisture can cause the potatoes to steam as they bake, resulting in soggy chips. After baking, remove any excess oil by placing the chips on clean paper towels to keep them crisp.
To help keep your baked chips from burning, soak the sliced potatoes in cold water for at least 30 minutes before baking. This removes excess starch for a crunchy, evenly cooked chip.
Recommended Reading: Bak Hard Folding Tonneau Cover
How To Make Potato Chips
Do you know How to Make Potato Chips? Whether youre expecting a house full of guests or need a healthier snack, knowing how to make potato chips at home is an impressive skill. Homemade potato chips can be much healthier than store-bought varieties because you can control the quality and quantity of ingredients. Learn from this tutorial how to make potato chips on the stovetop, in the oven and in the microwave.
Choosing Ingredients for Potato Chips
Expert cooks prefer using Russet potatoes for making chips. Leaving the skin on or off, you need to cut them into slices. The thicker the potato slices, the longer your chips will take to cook. If youre frying, choose healthier oils that are good for your heart like olive oil, canola, safflower or sunflower. Vegetable oil is also good for deep-frying.
How to Make Potato Chips in the Oven
Learning how to make potato chips in the oven is a healthier technique compared to frying. Chips are just as crispy without the added fat from cooking oil.
Start by pre-heating your oven to 500 F or 260 C.
Slice potatoes as instructed above and arrange them on a paper towel to drain their natural moisture. When dry, lightly brush a baking tray and the tops of potato slices with melted butter. Bake the potatoes in the center of the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the sides turn golden brown.
How to Make Potato Chips in a Microwave
Making Baked Potato Chips
Read Also: How To Bake Red Potatoes
How To Make Crispy Baked Potato Chips
Its easy to make homemade baked potato chips that are healthy with just a few simple steps.
- It starts with the right oven temperature. Ive made oven baked potato chips with varying degrees, 375 450 F., and find that 400 425 is the sweet spot. Depending on where you live may affect what temperature you use. I would play around with both and see what works best for you.
- Prep the potatoes. Scrub the potatoes well and pat them dry with a paper or cloth towel.
- Thin is best when slicing. Thinly slice the the potatoes to about 1/16 of an inch. I wouldnt slice them any larger than 1/8 inches. I used this mandoline which made it a breeze and super easy, but if youre good with a knife slice away.
- Toss with a little olive oil. You can oil the potatoes by tossing them together in a bowl or oil them right on the baking sheet with basting brush. No need to use a lot of oil, just enough to lightly coat each slice.
- Layer on baking sheet. When layering the potatoes, be sure they have space between them so the heat has plenty of room to get all around each chip.
- Bake to perfection. Bake for 10 minutes, carefully remove from the oven, and using tongs, flip each one and bake for 7 8 minutes more. Be sure to keep an eye on them at the end as they will cook fast towards the end.
How To Slice The Potatoes
Its important to slice the potatoes very thinly and uniformly. Luckily, theres a handy device that will let you do this perfectly in only a couple of minutes!
A mandoline slicer is your best bet for cutting the potatoes. A mandoline is a handy kitchen tool- you can use it to thinly slice potatoes for chips, cucumbers for pickles, carrots, and any number of ingredients.
And it often comes with attachments for different kinds of slices, such as a grater and a wavy blade that will slice potatoes or cucumbers into ruffles!
Don’t Miss: Honey Baked Ham Middletown Nj
Suggestion For Making Potato Chips
- If you want you can season these crisp potato wafers with your favorite herbs and spices. we prefer the classic plain salted potato chips.
- You can make these potato chips for Navratri fasting also but use rock salt instead of regular salt.
- Frying potato chips you can even fry the potato chips instead of baking them. While deep frying just make sure that there is no moisture in the potato chips slices after blanching. So wipe and dry them with a clean kitchen towel or paper napkins. While frying oil should be sufficiently hot so that the potato chips do not soak much oil and stay crisp.
- Slice the potato thinly as thin potato slices make the best potato chips.
- These potato chips can also be air fried.
If you are looking for more snacks recipes then you may like:
What Is The Best Way To Slice Potatoes For Chips
To get the perfect chip shape, we recommend using a mandoline to slice the potatoes. This is the best way to make sure each chip is thinly sliced and consistent in size, which will help your chips cook evenly. To make these baked chips without any equipment, use a sharp chefs knife to carefully slice the potatoes by hand.
Recommended Reading: How Long To Bake Sweet Potato Fries
Introduction: How To Bake Your Own Potato Chips
Potato chips at your local grocery or convenience store can be relatively expensive and has way more fats and calories than one may wish to consume. Why not make your own healthier potato chips at home at a better value? In just a few easy steps, you’ll be able to create your own healthy made at home potato chips.
1 1/2 Tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil 1 Tablespoon of butter
Simple Baked Potato Chips
Simple Baked Potato Chips: The name says it all. These easy to make chips are also better for you than the regular fried version. Serve with fish for a healthy fish and chips or along with my Steakhouse Burgers.
To keep my slices uniform I used a Mandolin. You could also use a food processor with a slicer. For me, salty potato chips is my number one comfort food. When I allow myself to be bad I am drawn to potato chips! Im so happy I can now have chips without guilt. You could also use this technique with sweet potatoes!
Don’t Miss: How To Bake Ground Turkey
Potato Chips Recipe How To Make Potato Chips
Potato chips recipe with step by step photos healthy, tasty and crisp oven baked potato chips or potato wafers.
Potato chips is a favorite with many folks. we also like fried potato chips, but at times one just want to snack on healthy and less oily stuff. I usually make potato chips at home both fried as well as baked. Not that we dont buy ready-made chips from the market. I do buy that on occasions.
This recipe is a Healthy alternative for the fried potato chips. some prep work is required. So make these once you are free from all your chores. I also make Sun dried potato chips in a similar way. Just that oil is not added to them and they are dried in the sun or shade instead of baked.
Purple Sweet Potato Chips
- 320 g of Purple Sweet Potatoes
- 1 tbsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp of Lemon Juice
- 0.5 tsp of Garlic Powder
- 0.5 tsp of Ginger Powder
- Unsaturated Fat: 2 grams
How to cook:
Don’t Miss: Bush’s Baked Beans In Oven