Easy Baked Zucchini Squash Recipe With Parmesan
Baked zucchini is a simple, yet tasty side dish that compliments many different dishes. Its a great way to get some veggies into your diet in a delicious and easy way. There are many different ways to make baked zucchini, but this version with parmesan is the simplest . Its made by coating fresh zucchini with olive oil, Parmesan cheese and spices, then baking until crisp. The zucchini absorbs the flavors of the seasonings as it bakes making it appetizing and flavorful.
This is such an easy recipe that you can make in no time. Its the perfect side dish for meats, pastas, and really, anything you can think of. This will definitely be a favorite at the dinner table from here on out!
Zucchini has always been one of my favoite vegetables which is a relief, because its the one item that never ceases to grow like crazy in our garden. There are so many great ways to enjoy zucchini Im partial toward zucchini fries or even zucchini chips. It can make such a great veggie side dish. However, my very favorite way to enjoy this dish is by simply roasting it with some parmesan, salt and pepper which is exactly what this recipe features.
Its kind of like a combination of a sauteed zucchini recipe and baked zucchini recipe.
Baked Parmesan Yellow Squash Recipe
It’s ridiculously easy to oven bake these Parmesan Yellow Squash rounds! Cooked until tender and the Parmesan cheese is melted and they’re absolutely delicious, continue to roast these golden rounds until crispy and enjoy them like chips!!
Yellow squash is a variety of summer squash, also called yellow straightneck squash or yellow crookneck squash. Likely you’ve seen both in the grocery store and called them one or the other interchangeably, this is common and something that I did for many years too!
The delicious mellow flavor of yellow squash is brought out best when oven roasted! I have always thought the slightly sweetened roasted flavor compliments the melted Parmesan cheese topping perfectly!!
Plus, for those in your family that usually complain about the soft texture of cooked summer squash, these baked squash rounds retain their texture without turning to mush!
Soggy Roasted Zucchini Culprit Two: Overbaking
Unlike harder vegetables , zucchini has a high water content. That means that if you overbake it, the water will seep out and your zucchini will be soggy.
Cutting the zucchini into larger pieces is a nice safety net. Larger pieces are harder to overcook. Its another reason I love slicing the zucchini into spears.
Recommended Reading: Baked Mushroom Rice French Onion Soup
Tips For Making Crispy Zucchini And Summer Squash Fries
There are a few really important steps to making sure you get super crispy fries each and every time.
- Size: It is really important to cut the zucchini and summer squash fries a uniform thickness. I recommend around 1/4 of an inch. If the sizes vary greatly you will get some overcooked fries and some soggy fries.
- Space: This is perhaps the most important thing – your veggie fries need room to breathe. If you place them too close together on the baking sheet or on top of each other, they will steam instead of roast. This leaves you with a soggy fry. Make sure everything is in a single layer with some space between.
- Salting: If you want really crispy squash fries and have some extra time, you can salt the fries first. After cutting the fries, simply sprinkle them with salt. Let them sit out for 15-20 minutes and then use a towel to soak up the extra moisture. The salt draws out the moisture in the zucchini and yellow squash and leads to a crispier outcome.
Baked Zucchini And Squash
This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you.
Sharing is caring!
A delicious Baked Zucchini and Squash recipe that you can enjoy as a side dish to many meals, Made with a Parmesan cheese topping in your oven, it is ready in about 20 minutes.
This Oven roasted zucchini and squash recipe is a great way to enjoy summer squash and farmers market produce. An extra bonus if you have both types of yellow squash in your vegetable garden! This is an easy way to enjoy it.
Recommended Reading: How Long Do You Bake Garlic Bread
How To Make It
So how does it all work and what makes this recipe so gosh darn good?
This is actually a quicker process than it sounds. I like to use a spoon as opposed to just sprinkling the whole pan with Parm so that most of it ends up on the actual vegetables. But you absolutely do not have to adhere to my spoon rule if you happen to be less Type A than I.
After your zucchini and squash and tomatoes are blissfully covered in cheese, pop the pan in the oven for about 20 minutes until the veggies are tender and the cheese is golden brown.
And then…DIG IN! I think this tasty summer side is best enjoyed warm out of the oven.
But my middle child can attest that it’s quite yummy at room temperature as well.
Seriously, you know vegetables are good when your 8-year-old asks if he can have a bowl of them for a snack as soon as you’re finished taking your pictures.
Meal Prep And Storage
You totally can prep-ahead and have this side dish ready-to-go when you are. This is especially handy when it comes to preparing a healthy casserole for a backyard BBQ, picnic, or Thanksgiving day.
- To Prep-Ahead: Follow all directions but wait to bake until youre ready to serve. Cover tightly with foil and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature and bake according to directions.
- To Store: If there happen to be leftovers, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- To Reheat: Preheat your oven to 300°. In an oven-proof dish bake the zucchini and squash for 10-12 minutes or until heated through. You can also broil the casserole again for 1-2 minutes to bring back some of that crunchy topping.
Recommended Reading: Bake Frozen Turkey Burgers In Oven
Expert Tips & Shortcuts To Make This Perfect
- Save a few minutes of prep work time by preparing the vegetables earlier in the day.
- If you dont have Panko on hand, you can use seasoned bread crumbs.
- Dont have Parmesan cheese? You can make this with Cheddar.
- There are a couple of different ways to make this a main dish by adding rotisserie chicken, just be sure to bake until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F. Another variation is to add 1 cup of cooked pasta to the casserole before putting it in the oven.
How To Make 5
The beauty of this recipe lies in the efficiency. No to mention you dont need to turn on your oven . Whether you opt for the microwave method or steaming it over the stove, each way takes just 5 minutes.
For this recipe I prefer good, old-fashioned grated Parmesan. Not the one from the green can, but freshly ground parm I typically find in the deli section of my grocery store. I like the ground parm simply because it creates a more homogenous bite. Seasoning is key, and a sprinkling of kosher salt and lots of freshly ground black pepper is all you need to complete the dish.
Also Check: How To Use Laura Geller Baked Foundation
What Makes Baked Zucchini And Summer Squash Fries Healthy
Compared to regular deep fried potato fries, these baked veggie fries are so much healthy. Not only are they lower in calories and fat, but they also are packed with more vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Consider that a one cup serving of standard restaurant fries has between 300-400 calories while these veggie fries only have 150 calories plus all kinds of extra health benefits.
- With just 39 calories in oneyellow squash, it is a healthy and lower calorie and carbohydrate option than traditional potatoes. Additionally, it is packed with calcium, iron, and vitamins C, A, and B, as well as beta-carotene and lutein.
- Zucchini is packed with minerals, vitamins, and has just 33 calories per piece. It is known to be packed with anti-inflammatory qualities and also known to prevent heart and digestive health.
Looking for more veggie fries and wedges? Try out these:
Stop Zucchini Fatigue With This Easy Parmesan
When, exactly, did zucchini and yellow squash become summers most prolific vegetables? There is a lot of it around in July and August. So much, in fact, that some people sometimes get tired of it. But some people do not have this recipe. This summery, satisfying yellow squash and zucchini parmesan recipe will help enjoy summer squash in the best possible way.
I am always looking for something new to do with zucchini in particular, zucchini recipes that work as a full meal. This baked yellow squash and zucchini parmesan may be vegetarian, but it still feels satisfying, even decadent.
It is also generously sized and easy to make. The hardest parts? Slicing a bunch of squash and waiting impatiently while the casserole bakes down to its melty, golden-brown goodness .
Read Also: Mac And Cheese Ingredients Baked
How To Roast Zucchini
Youll see a lot of recipes for baked zucchini. They might look a little bit like this recipe, however, we call our recipe roasted zucchini because of the high cooking temperature. High heat means that the zucchini gets a lovely, flavor-making bit of blisterand it also means that in terms of how long to roast zucchini, its in and out of the oven in just minutes. Heres the steps for the best way to cook zucchini, you ave our word.
Rave Reviews For This Squash Casserole Recipe
We are so happy to know this recipe has become a family favorite for many of our readers. Please see the comments below. It really is a crowd-pleaser! Its been fun to see how fabulous cooks have made substitutions to make it fit the likes and dislikes of the family. One cook said she omitted the tomatoes and replaced it with sausage and it was a hit! This is a recent review we were thrilled to receive:
I am the Food Service Director at a Senior Living Community. We have a farm to table program and I was looking for something to use my squash, zucchini and tomatoes. I had a big Block Party event and I wanted to showcase our farm to table dishes. My cooks made this casserole and we ran out of it before we ran out of the Brisket! I must have had 10 people ask me for the recipe. Im quite seriously thinking about this becoming our signature dish!Were making more tomorrow for the staff because it was such a hit. Thanks! Donna
What Is The Difference Between Yellow Squash And Zucchini
Yellow Squash and Zucchini are both what we often call summer squash. For the most part they are completely interchangeable but there are a few subtle differences outside of appearance. Zucchini is usually harvested in the mid- summer while yellow squash is harvested in the early fall. Another difference is yellow squash has more seeds. Both vegetables have a mild sweet flavor that make them favorites to be prepared in a a variety of ways.
Meal Kit Delivery Services For Every Budgetyour Browser Indicates If You’ve Visited This Link
There are many options available, from organic meal kits to those aimed at weight loss at a variety of price points. Of course, meal kit delivery services aren’t cheap. For some, the cost per serving hovers around $10 and can be a similar expense to a takeout meal for a family.
U.S. News & World Report on MSN.com
Also Check: Samsung Toast And Bake Microwave Oven Mt1066sb
Zucchini And Squash Casserole Recipe
Zucchini and yellow squash are some of the overlooked vegetables that somehow magically reappear during the summer months and at a Thanksgiving table.
I first discovered my love of cooking with this delightful combo when Cohl started coming home with enormous bags full of fresh summer produce from a fellow dentist at his office.
After making a few batches of this Sauteed Zucchini and Squash, I started to run out of new recipe ideas.
And then one week he came home and the bag was packed to the brim with yellow summer squash and zucchini.
It would be a sin to let them all go bad, so I had to brainstorm a new summer recipe.
Squash casserole has always been one of my favorite summertime side dishes.
But this time it would be a healthier version that was still simple to make and baked in the oven.
My Tip For Making This Recipe:
Line your sheet pan with foil before you cook the veggies. This will make cleaning up a ton easier. This can get a little messy with all the gooey, melty cheese.
Begin by cutting the squash and zucchini in to half inch thick slices. Then, in a bowl mix together garlic and olive oil. Then toss the squash and zucchini in mixture. Line the slices up on the sheet pan then cover with Parmesan cheese. Place in a 350º oven for 30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and golden brown. Season with fresh cracked black pepper and serve immediately.
Happy Cooking Yall!
You May Like: How To Mail Baked Goods
Wondering How To Cook Zucchini
When it comes to how to cook zucchini, its usually best to keep things simple. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Do you have to peel zucchini? Nope! Theres no need to peel zucchini. In fact, the skin is a big source of zucchini nutrition so you definitely want to leave the skin on.
- How to cut zucchini: after giving the zucchini squash a good rinse under cold water, slice off the stem and discard it. The rest is edible and delicious so just slice it up into strips coins or even half-moons. Or, you could forego the knife entirely and grate your zucchini, which is the first step towards beautiful crisp zucchini fritters.
What Youll Need To Make Roasted Zucchini:
With an ingredient list as short as the cook time, this baked zucchini recipe couldnt be easier. We bet youve already got what you need, which is simply:
- Zucchini. .
- Parmesan cheese! Pre-grated is OK, but the fine dusting that you get from grating real Parmigiano Reggiano over the zucchini rounds with a microplane grater is unbeatable.
- Garlic powder. Our beloved, much-maligned pantry fave. This parmesan-roasted zucchini recipe is a perfect example of why we love garlic powder. Every zucchini slice will get a hint of flavor in a way that fresh garlic cloves just cant replicate. Just be sure that your garlic powder is freshif its more than six months old, spring for a fresh jar .
- Olive oil. You can use extra virgin if you want, but since youll be roasting this in the oven, a lot of that really good flavor will be lost. Regular, non-extra virgin olive oil is perfect here.
Also Check: Bake N Cakes Lansing Mi
How To Make Garlic Parmesan Zucchini Casserole
This cheesy zucchini casserole recipe has quickly become a favorite among the boys in my house! I’m telling you: if you want to get your kids to eat some green vegetables, then this is the recipe for you. The zucchini is mild, it’s baked with three different kinds of cheese, and it’s finished with a buttery Parmesan breadcrumb topping. What’s not to love?!
Why Youll Love This Zucchini And Squash Recipe
- Just three simple steps are all that separates you from crispy and flavorful oven-roasted vegetables!
- Baked zucchini and squash takes less than 30-minutes to make.
- Roasted squash and zucchini pairs well with just about any main course.
- Easily adaptable to dairy-free and vegan lifestyles .
Are you looking for more ways to use up all of that zucchini? Be sure to check out ourground beef zucchini casserole, zucchini curry, vegan ratatouille! These three dishes let the zucchini shine and are all packed with flavor.
Snag our Keto Binder HERE
You May Like: Honey Baked Ham Simpsonville Sc
What Are Some Variations For This Recipe
You can add a variety of ingredients to this recipe to change its flavor. While we love using simple spices, you can try adding hot sauce, red pepper flakes, or cayenne pepper for a spicy kick, dried basil or oregano for an Italian twist or turmeric and garam masala for an Indian spin on baked zucchini. For even more flavor, you could also try different kinds of cheese like mozzarella or crumbled feta. You could add garlic powder or onion powder for some additional seasoning. I usually used dried seasonings, but you can use fresh ones as well. You can grate your own fresh parmesan cheese, or use shredded parmesan cheese as a topping insead of grated.
You can add some breadcrumbs to the parmesan this can help make htem extra crispy.
Add additional herbs, such as garlic or Italian seasoning or fresh herbs to make it more fragrant and tasty.