How To Make Pork Chops In Oven
For the full recipe and detailed instructions on how to make the most delicious and juiciest pork chops, check the recipe card below.
Can You Cook Pork Chops From Frozen
You can, but I dont recommend it. Cooking meat direct from frozen will result in an overcooked outside while the inside is still not cooked through.
If you have frozen pork chops, thaw them first in cold water before proceeding with the baked pork chop recipe. Besides, since you are marinating the meat anyway, you can let the chops thaw in the marinade in the fridge overnight if you have the time.
How Long Do Thin Pork Chops Take To Bake At 400 Degrees
- Pork chops should preferably be fresh and never frozen.
- Bring pork chops to room temperature before roasting. 30 minutes before you plan to cook them, take them out of the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 400F and bake the pork chops for 7 minutes per 1/2-inch thickness. Pork must reach a temperature of 145 degrees Fahrenheit to be safe to consume.
- Pork chops with bones require more cooking time than boneless pork chops. If youre using bone-in pork chops, you may want to add an extra minute for every 1/2 inch.
- Instead of using a cookie sheet, use a baking dish with walls since the meat releases some juice that we want to keep. This keeps the meat wet while it bakes in the juice.
- To season the pork chops, combine salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika in a small bowl. If you have the time, rub the seasoning into the pork chops and let them sit for at least 5 minutes.
- The baked pork chops should not be cut right away. Allow 5 minutes for the meat to rest before baking.
Recommended Reading: Oven Baked Boneless Pork Chops
Sear The Pork Tenderloin
With pork tenderloin, our major goals are to develop flavor while avoiding overcooking. The flavor of the pork tenderloin is greatly enhanced by searing it! The marinade caramelizes, resulting in a lovely golden brown coating on the outside. It also aids in the sealing of the fluids before baking.
Grab your favorite cast iron or another heavy-bottomed, oven-safe pan, add about 1/2 tablespoon of oil, and heat it over medium-high heat to sear the pork tenderloin. Then, drain the excess marinade from the pork tenderloin and lay it in the pan to sear for 3-4 minutes, or until browned. Flip the pork tenderloin after 3-4 minutes and sear for another 3-4 minutes, till golden. While you can sear it on all four sides if you like, we feel that only two sides are sufficient.
How To Choose Pork Chops
You cant cook your way out of subpar ingredients, so if you want delicious oven baked pork chops, start with these tips for picking them out:
- Bone-in vs. boneless pork chops: Many love bone-in pork chops because it has great flavor , but really either will work its up to you. Boneless pork chops are more sensitive to drying out, which is all the more reason you need to follow my tips and easy pork chops recipe below to avoid just that.
- Rib vs loin chops: Pork ribs are a center loin roast and are a fattier cut than the pork loin. If you prefer a more marbled cut, go with the rib. If you prefer a leaner cut, go with the loin.
- Thickness: Choose pork chops that have a similar size and thickness, so that they cook evenly. The best pork chops will be at least 3/4 to 1 inch thick, but if all you can find is 1/2 inch, they will do.
- Appearance: Look for firm, pinkish-red pork chops with some marbling. Avoid ones that are very pale or have dark spots.
- Humanely-raised or not: I prefer to buy humanely-raised pork, as I appreciate the farming practices and I think it tastes better! I get it delivered to my door from here.
You May Like: Honey Baked Ham Mcknight Road
What Is The Purpose Of Soaking Pork Chops In Milk
Milk tenderizes meat more effectively than other marinades. The milk enzymes soften the fibers and make the meat more tender by breaking down the proteins. The milk-tenderized pork chops will also stay juicier longer, reducing the likelihood of their drying up during cooking.
Yogurt or buttermilk are two more milk products that can be used to tenderize meat . They will, however, give the meat a tangier flavor, whilst milk will keep it tender and flavorful.
Try A Marinade Or Brine
Before you cook your meat, you can use a marinate or brine to add moisture and taste.
A marinade is a sauce that adds extra taste to pork by including aromatics or herbs. A brine draws extra moisture into the meat, keeping it moist and delicious.
Keys to a Great Marinade
A marinade consists of a combination of acid, oil, salt, and aromatics. Each ingredient has a distinct function.
The oil aids in the marinades adhesion to the pork. Furthermore, the aromatics flavor will permeate into the oil, allowing it to distribute more evenly across the meats surface. The acid will help to break down the connective tissue and tenderize the meat. It also brightens the marinades flavor. If you use too much acid or marinade for too long, it can really harm you Make your meat tough by pre-cooking it. Regrettably, there is no set amount of acid that is safe too much, because it depends on the acid you choose and the other marinade ingredients. To ensure proper portioning, we recommend using a tried-and-true marinade recipe.
Salt will aid in the moisture retention of your meat. Salt can be added directly or by the use of a salty liquid such as soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce. Garlic, shallots, herbs, and spices, for example, will provide taste.
Place the pork chops in a zipper bag and pour the marinade over them once the marinade is done. Before closing the bag, make sure everything is uniformly covered and squeeze out as much air as possible.
Keys to a Great Brine
Don’t Miss: World Market Fresh Baked Pies Sign
What Seasonings Are Best For Pork Chops
Similar to chicken breast, pork is mild in flavor, so you have lots of options for adding flavor. Here are a few suggestions:
- Keep it simple and use salt, pepper, a fresh herb like thyme, and lemon wedges scattered around the pan. This is what weve done in our photos, and the recipe shared below.
- For chili powder based seasoning, we love using a combination of ancho or our homemade chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, and black pepper. Combine one teaspoon of everything listed, except use only 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika and 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper.
- We love using a blend of brown sugar, grated lemon zest, and smoked paprika for a sweet citrus rub. Use one tablespoon brown sugar, one teaspoon lemon zest, and 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika.
- A combination of fresh herbs, Dijon mustard, and lemon is classic.
- Italian seasoning, Zaatar seasoning, and taco seasoning are also excellent.
Season The Pork Chops With Salt And Pepper
So you want to cook a pork chop. Well, the first thing youll need to do is season the meat. Seasoning is the process of sprinkling spices, herbs, or other ingredients on food to make it taste better. Pork chops are great because they are fairly cheap and quick to prepare. Seasoning the meat will help your pork chops become a little more moist, which will make it taste better. Youll need some salt and black pepper for this. So mix together about 1/4 cup of salt and 1/4 cup of pepper. You can use a teaspoon, or a large pinch. Sprinkle the salt and pepper all over the pork chops.
Also Check: Hershey’s No Bake Cookie Recipe
How Long Should I Cook Pork Chops In The Oven
The cook time for baked pork chops will vary depending on how thick your chops are. That said, they wont need very long in the oven.
For example, boneless pork chops about 1-inch thick will need a 2 to 3 minute sear in the skillet and then 8 to 15 minutes of bake time in the oven.
Thinner chops will cook much quicker, and thicker chops may take a few minutes longer a temperature thermometer is your best bet for checking doneness.
Pork is done when the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees Fahrenheit.
If you do not have a thermometer, you will know they are done if the juices run clear when cutting into the chops.
Oven Baked Pork Chops Recipe
I have no idea what to call the sauce I use for these pork chops. I just think it sounds cute to say country-style rub so thats what I go with!
Its savoury with a touch of sweet, balanced out with a bit of acidity. It makes your baked pork chops golden and sticky.
And I kid you not I bet you have all the ingredients in your pantry to make this right now!
This sauce is a secret weapon to make really tasty pork chops in the oven. Usually, baked pork chop recipes lack caramelisation. With this sauce, your chops will come out golden and sticky!
Don’t Miss: How Long To Bake Potatoes At 375 In Foil
What Kind Of Pork Should I Use For Baking
As a general rule, thick-cut pork chops are best for baking. You can use bone-in or boneless pork chops to make this recipe. Make sure the chops are at least 1-inch thick.
One of my favorite cuts to buy is center cut boneless loin chop. Dont trim that fat layer at the edge, it will protect the edges from drying out.
The Secret To Tender And Juicy Pork Chops
I get so many questions about cooking boneless pork chops in the oven, mostly from people who grew up eating dry pork and are hesitant to even try baked pork recipes.
When baking pork chops, a few simple rules guarantees great results. Here are my most important tips for succulent, juicy and tender pork chops.
Buy the Right Type of Pork Chop
For oven baking, thick chops are a must! Choose pork chops that are at least 1-inch thick. Thin chops tend to always dry up when baked. You can use both bone-in or boneless pork chops for this recipe with great success.
Cooking Times vs Internal Temperature
Cooking times vary greatly depending on the type of pork chop, the thickness of the meat and how hot your oven runs. The meat will stay juicy if you dont over cook it. Its as simple as that.
The secret to not overcooking pork chops is to check the meats internal temperature with an instant-read thermometer. Cooking times should be a guideline only.
To avoid a dry pork chop, check for doneness a few times during the last part of baking time . Insert the meat thermometer probe in the thickest part of the pork chop and remove the meat from the oven when the internal temperature reads 135-140 degrees F.
Rest the Meat Before Serving
A Meat Thermometer
Recommended Reading: Easy No Bake Snacks For Kids
What Cut Of Pork Should I Buy
For this recipe, get bone-in center-cut rib pork chops because they are less likely to dry out. Dont be tempted by boneless chops!
All pork chops come from the loin, which runs along both sides of the backbone from the neck to the hip. You can find the following cuts at the grocery store, listed in order from neck to hip:
- Rib chops are tender, flavorful, and a great choice for pan-searing and grillingits the cut I recommend for this recipe.
- The cut closest to the neck is known as the blade. It is generally tough and best for braising.
- Loin chops are bisected by a bone shaped like a T. The larger muscle on one side of the bone is the loin, and the smaller muscle on the other side is the tenderloin. They have great flavor, but since the loin and tenderloin cook at different rates, they can be a little tricky to cook evenly.
- Sirloin chops are nearest the hip, and they should be cooked low and slow. They are not a good cut for pan searing or grilling.
Simply Recipes / Alison Bickel
How To Fry Pork Chops
Here’s how to cook pork chops on the stove. Before frying pork chops, first salt and pepper them on both sides. You can be very generous with the seasonings.
Meanwhile, heat a little vegetable oil, maybe two tablespoons, or a little butter in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. The fat should be sizzling hot when you add the chops to the pan. Avoid crowding. Giving the chops some room means they’ll brown before they overcook.
When one side is beautifully golden brown , turn, and then knock the flames down to medium so the middle can completely cook before the outside is overdone. As with grilled chops, when the internal temperature reaches 140 degrees F, transfer the pork chops from the pan to a plate they’ll continue to cook just make sure they reach 145 degrees F.
Also Check: Nutri Grain Soft Baked Breakfast Bars
Juicy Pork Chop Tips:
- Make sure to bake your pork chops at high temperature. This helps it to caramelize the texture of the pork chops and locks in the juices.
- Try not to overcook your pork chops. Using a meat thermometer helps reach the perfect temperature of 145 degrees. Plus make sure you check them to ensure that you are not overcooking them.
- The main key to achieve a juicy pork chop is letting it rest for around 10 minutes before slicing. I also place a piece of foil lightly on the pork chops.
- I like to buy at least 1-inch thick pork chops to ensure that they do not dry out. We have bought thin ones and they dried out very quickly.
- My family loves boneless pork chops but you can also use bone-in pork chops.
How To Cook Pork Chops With Pineapple
This is a quick and easy recipe that’s perfect for a weeknight meal. Here’s how you’ll make it:
And just like that, dinner is ready!
Full recipe in the recipe card below.
Also Check: Baked Pork Chops And Rice
How To Make Baked Pork Chops:
As much as I would love to say that you can make perfectly baked pork chops by just popping them directly in the oven, Ive just never had good luck with that method. Instead, Ive learned over the years that the secret is taking an extra 15 minutes to brine the pork. Then giving it a quick sear on the stove before roasting it in the oven. And then, as I mentioned above, using the help of a cooking thermometer to measure the internal temperature of the pork and ensure that it has reached the magical 145°F . It may sound complicated, but I promise you its easy peasy. Simply:
How Can I Keep A Pork Loin From Drying Out During Cooking
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. The temperature of the oven will eventually be reduced, but youll start it at a higher temperature to give the outside of the pork loin a little more heat to properly seal in the moisture!
- Next, season the pork on all sides with the seasonings . You can apply them individually or make a tiny dry rub in a small bowl for yourself. I prefer to mix everything together before putting it on the meat. That way, I know its being massaged evenly all over the roast!
- THESE ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT STEPS!!! In your roasting pan, place the pork loin fat side up. By placing the fat on top of the roast, youll be able to baste it as it cooks. This is the process that prevents the pork from drying out and getting tough.
- Preheat the oven to 400F and bake the pork loin for 10 minutes. This will help to form a crust on the meat, which will aid to keep the juices inside.
- Reduce the temperature of your oven to 350 degrees F and cook your roast for another 20 minutes per pound of meat. It does take some time. But believe me when I say that the wait is well worth it!
- Remove the pork loin from the oven once it has reached an internal temperature of 145 degrees F. Then, loosely cover the roasted pork loin with foil and let aside to rest for about 10 minutes. This is another another crucial step in keeping the fluids inside the meat where you want them to be!! Patience is a valuable asset.
Recommended Reading: Juneau Whale Watching And Salmon Bake