Can You Make Mac And Cheese Without Flour
Yes, you can cook insanely delicious mac and cheese without flour. Instead of making a roux, use more cheese to thicken the sauce to a luscious and creamy consistency.
This reduces the ingredient count, and there is zero chance of a floury aftertaste in your mac and cheese. Just ooey-gooey deliciousness all around!
The Combination Approach From Stove To Oven
A slightly more common approach than making the whole dish in the oven is a combination of the stovetop and the oven-baked methods.
Six authors prepare their cheese sauce on the stovetop, mostly based on the method I described above . They then combine their sauce with their cooked pasta and bake it in the oven. Most of these recipes include extra cheese and/or breadcrumbs on top to create a golden crispy finish.
The one different recipe in this group is from Coop Can Cook, which relies on the starch of the pasta instead of a roux . Coops mac and cheese recipe is another one worth exploring if youre hoping to avoid flour or making a roux.
Can You Freeze Mac And Cheese
Yes, I have frozen it with success! I make it up to the point of baking, cover well, and freeze right in the pan. Then I bring it out and let it thaw at room temp for an hour or so, and then into the oven. Just like making it ahead and refrigerating it, the result isnt quite as saucy. But still delish.
Recommended Reading: Honey Baked Ham Hurst Tx
Why Do You Want Mac And Cheese Without Flour
If you need to avoid flour for dietary reasons, then you should skip down to the section on making macaroni and cheese without flour. Based on the 20 recipes I reviewed you have a few good options available to you.
But if youre avoiding flour because youve previously struggled with making your cheese sauce, Id encourage you to read on. With attention to a few tips its not hard to master, and a good white sauce really will make your mac and cheese beautifully smooth and creamy.
Creamy & Delicious Homemade Mac And Cheese With Velveeta
Velveeta lovers unite because were coming atcha with a basic keep-in-your-back-pocket-at-all-times Velveeta mac and cheese recipe!
We ate boxed Velveeta all the time growing up so this recipe brings back all of the memories.
Since Velveeta comes in block form, well teach you how to make a Velveeta cheese sauce thats extra creamy and perfect for mac and cheese. It requires a roux, but dont work, its super simple!
You May Like: Baked Bread And Pastry Company
Mac And Cheese Without Flour
I loved that the viral TikTok recipe for mac and cheese was made without flour, so there was no roux, no bechamel, and no more dirty pots than necessary.
You see, lots of baked mac and cheese recipes call for making a roux, which is made by mixing melted butter and flour together in a saucepan. When you add milk to the roux, it becomes bechamel sauce a versatile sauce thats a classic base for many mac and cheese recipes.
This baked macaroni and cheese has no flour because the heavy whipping cream and Velveeta melt into a perfectly creamy, cheesy sauce no roux necessary.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- It’s so quick to prep – 10 minutes
- All done in an hour – and it mostly cooks itself
- It’s so easy – just mix the ingredients and bake it
- Cleanup is a breeze – just one pot, it doesn’t get much easier
- Perfectly cooked pasta that’s been cooking away in milk & cream & cheese
- Super cheesy and creamy
- So much flavor from cheddar & gruyere
Recommended Reading: Honey Baked Ham Roseville Mi
How To Make A Roux For Mac And Cheese
A roux is simply a mixture of fat and flour, usually in equal measures, which is cooked together in order to remove the raw, floury flavor. For macaroni and cheese, you make a fairly light roux by cooking it for about three minutes. Then, milk is added to the roux to make the béchamel sauce.
First, start by melting the butter.
Then add the flour and seasonings and
Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon in a figure-8 motion, for three minutes. This one looks a bit darker than a classic roux might because of the smoked paprika.
Then, to make your white sauce , add the milk slowly, whisking the entire time, and cook until bubbly and thick.
Aaaand then add your cheese for your glorious macaroni and cheese situation.
Theres your base for the best baked mac and cheese recipe ever!
There are loads of mac and cheese recipes out there, with fancy embellishments and uber creative spins. But his isnt one of those its a classic baked mac and cheese thats simple enough to appeal to everyone. Readers report entire families devouring this stuff on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter! BUT its also a great jumping-off point if you want to make it your own
Easy Macaroni And Cheese Ingredients
You only need four pantry staples for this macaroni and cheese recipe!
- Pasta I use macaroni or elbow noodles, but you can use any pasta here like penne, bowtie, or fun shapes!
- American cheese
Thats IT! This quick and easy macaroni and cheese is a great weeknight side dish, or it can be dressed up with bacon, broccoli, pulled pork, or chicken to make it a meal!
Recommended Reading: Oven Baked Pork Chop Recipes
Homemade Baked Mac And Cheese
Updated By Nikole This post may contain Amazon affiliate links.
Did you know Homemade Baked Mac and Cheese is one of Americas favorite comfort foods? Its probably no surprise because who can resist its rich, creamy, cheesy deliciousness? This dish is perfect as a side or even as a main dish with a salad or soup. Its especially popular around the holidays too!
Homemade Baked Mac and Cheese is a southern classic and an American favorite comfort food. This version uses Velveeta, sharp cheddar cheese and is baked in a casserole dish.
Youre Going To Love This
Super creamy and gooey this indulgent mac and cheese dish is filled with cheesy goodness
Buttery bread crumbs seasoned panko adds a crispy, crunchy topping
No-boil mac and cheese this time saver keeps the pasta from getting mushy
No flour no roux to fuss with!
One pan oven macaroni and cheese this easy dinner recipe is truly a dump-and-bake
Read Also: Honey Baked Ham Cross Lanes Wv
Add The Pasta And Sauce To A Dish
After the cheese has melted, add the cooked pasta to the sauce and stir until all the noodles are well-coated.
Then, add the mixture to a greased 3-quart baking dish. Top with more cheese
Then, bake! I like to broil for a few minutes at the end of the cooking time to give it a little color and extra crisp around the edges.
Tips For The Best Mac And Cheese No Roux No Flour
- Never use pre-shredded cheese. Pre-shredded cheese is coated in corn starch that keeps it from clumping. However, it also keeps the cheese from melting smooth and creamy. Using a box grater makes shredding easy!
- Taste before adding salt. Cheese is loaded with sodium and sometimes you dont need extra added to recipes that contain a lot of cheese.
- Use full-fat cream cheese. Low fat or fat-free cream cheese doesnt melt well. Its clumpy and just will not yield a creamy sauce.
- Watch carefully. Any time you make a white sauce or cheese sauce you need to babysit it. Use a heavy-bottomed saucepan on medium-low to low heat. As well, keep your eye on it and stir the sauce frequently while it cooks so it does not burn or stick.
- Cook the pasta to al dente. You do not want to cook it until its mushy.
Don’t Miss: Mendenhall Glacier And Salmon Bake
Instant Pot Velveeta Mac And Cheese
Super Creamy Mac And Cheese
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Super Creamy Mac and Cheese is insanely rich and delicious. One taste and you will be hooked. Whether eaten as a side or a main dish, this is a recipe you will want to make over and over. Three types of cheese give Super Creamy Mac and Cheese a whole lot of cheese flavor.
We have sharp cheddar , wonderfully melty Monterey Jack, and last but not least Velveeta.
Im not a huge fan of Velveeta but theres no question it gives mac and cheese a wonderfully creamy texture.
Wonderfully cheesy and totally indulgent.
Life should have more mac and cheese.
Read Also: How To Watch Great British Bake Off
Can I Freeze Macaroni And Cheese
I get asked that a lot and my answer is always no. As the pasta and cheese sauce sit, it will thicken and when you thaw it and bake it, the creamy consistency is just gone. Its thick and gloppy. Plus if you freeze it and its still a bit warm, water crystals will form and then thaw into your dish and could make it separate when you bake it. Besides, its so fast to make, theres not really a reason to freeze your macaroni and cheese.
Making The Perfect Roux
The fundamentals of making a roux are fairly straightforward:
Sounds very simple. And it is, but there are a few things to take note of that will improve your roux.
Measure out equal amounts of butter and flour by weight
Butter is obviously a lot denser and heavier than flour, so if you measure by volume , youll end up with more butter than you need. Also, measuring flour in cups can vary dramatically depending on whether youve scooped it up with the cup, or dropped it into the cup.
Use clarified butter
Most butter is somewhere between 15% and 20% water. But we dont want water mixing with our flour until its coated with fat. The best solution to this is to use clarified butter, but if you dont have any , let your butter simmer gently for a few minutes and most of the water will boil off. Make sure you dont burn it though.
Stir continuously while the roux is coming together to ensure all of the starch molecules get coated with fat.
A whisk is the ideal tool for making your roux. If youre cooking in a non-stick pot, then a silicone whisk is the way to go, otherwise a steel whisk will do the job.
Cook off the raw flour taste
Dont overcook your roux
You May Like: Baked Pork Chops With Ranch Dressing
Creamy Easy Baked Mac And Cheese
Ooey, gooey and oh-so-cheesy! This creamy, easy baked mac and cheese is the best mac and cheese recipe that you’ll ever taste. A made-from-scratch sauce with two different types of cheese creates the smoothest, richest, creamiest casserole. Kids and adults devour this old-fashioned, homemade side dish, which pairs nicely with everything from Thanksgiving turkey to Christmas ham, fried chicken, meatloaf, and pork chops.
Tips For The Best Baked Mac And Cheese
- Keep the pasta firm and al dente by undercooking it for 1-2 minutes. Keep in mind that the noodles will continue to cook in the oven, so if theyre already soft, to begin with, imagine what theyll be like after they bake.
- If youve accidentally overcooked the noodles, run them under cold water to stop the cooking process. You can also toss them in butter to keep them from absorbing more liquid during baking.
- While I often use pre-shredded cheese when cooking, I recommend against it when it comes to mac and cheese. Youll want the cheese to be as melted as possible, and because it contains an anti-caking agent, pre-shredded cheese just wont do. Just get a block of cheddar and shred it yourself! Its easy, and also a lot cheaper.
- If the sauce is too thick, add milk, 1/4 cup at a time, and stir. Repeat until your desired thickness is achieved.
- Keep tasting the sauce as you go along. Season it with salt and pepper, if needed.
- If youve accidentally overcooked the pasta, coat them with butter to prevent them from absorbing more liquid and cooking further.
- Dont forget to grease the casserole to keep the noodles from sticking.
Read Also: Can Dogs Have Baked Potato
Can You Bake Leftover Mac And Cheese
Yes, you can reheat leftovers in the oven or in the microwave. Cover the dish loosely with foil and reheat in a 325°F oven just until warmed through. You can remove the foil cover during the final few minutes to allow the top to brown or the edges to get crispy.
To reheat individual servings, just cover loosely and microwave for about 30 seconds .
More Cheesy Pasta Recipes You’ll Love
- Creamy Sausage Pasta – Italian sausage and noodles swimming in a creamy, tangy rosa sauce.
- Fettuccine Alfredo – a creamy, cheesy alfredo, made without flour!
- Chicken Alfredo Lasagna – a creamy twist on classic lasagna made with chicken, alfredo sauce, and spinach.
- Bacon Cheddar Bow Ties – bacon, cheddar, and pasta, all in one dish. Need I say more?
- Swedish Meatball Mac and Cheese – a fun twist on traditional mac and cheese by combining it with my Swedish family’s meatball recipe.
Recommended Reading: Temperature To Bake Mac And Cheese
Best Cheese For Mac And Cheese
The only requirement, really, is for the cheese to be melted. Other than that, anything goes!
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we’ll send the recipe straight to your inbox!
Its a matter of personal taste, but in case youre looking for inspiration, here are my favorite cheeses to use for mac and cheese, aside from Velveeta.
- Any Kind of Cheddar Mild, medium, sharp, extra sharp, white, Vermont, New York-style, take your pick.
- Mozzarella Its more stretchy and gooey than melty, but it makes mac and cheese extra special, nonetheless.
- Blue cheese If youre a fan of bold flavors, this cheese is perfect for you. Just dont add too much, though, as blue cheese really does have a strong taste.
- Gruyere This cheese will make the sauce extra smooth and velvety with nutty and earthy flavors.
- Smoked Gouda Its ideal if you want a hint of smokiness to your mac and cheese.
Macaroni And Cheese Ingredients
If youve ever wondered how to make homemade mac and cheese, here you go!
- Pasta: First, you pick your pasta. Elbow macaroni is a the classic choice, of course, but shells, penne, or rotini are delicious too.
- Cheese sauce: You make your cheese sauce by first making a roux cooking flour, seasonings, and butter together. Then, drizzle in the milk. The flour thickens the milk into a glorious béchamel sauce a classic French sauce made from butter, flour, and milk. And theeennnnn remove from heat and add the cheese. Some people like to top their baked mac and cheese with breadcrumbs, but for this recipe, I love how it forms a brown and bubbling top in the oven without bread crumbs. Feel free to add if you prefer! Make it your own!
Don’t Miss: Honey Baked Ham San Bernardino
Can You Freeze Mac And Cheese Without Flour
Yes, you can freeze this no flour mac and cheese recipe because its a saucy version! Cool to room temperature, then freeze in a freezer-friendly container for up to 3 months.
Defrost overnight in the refrigerator, then reheat in the microwave until warm stir well. I like to sprinkle extra cheese on top and then pop it back in the microwave for melty goodness.
Stovetop Mac And Cheese Without Flour
If all of that hasnt convinced you to give a roux-based mac and cheese another go, or if you need to avoid flour completely for dietary reasons, there are a couple of options amongst the stovetop recipes:
- Sabrinas mac and cheese recipe on Dinner then Dessert uses blended cottage cheese with full fat milk and half-and-half. Its worth noting that a few readers commented theyd had issues getting this recipe to thicken up. Just as many though comment on how good theirs turned out.
- If youre looking for a really quick and easy approach, This is Not Diet Food make their mac and cheese with a can of condensed cheddar cheese soup. This significantly shortcuts the sauce-making process. If you cant eat flour though you should check the label of the can, as its quite commonly used to thicken soups as well.
But if youre not tied to the stovetop, theres a whole other method of making mac and cheese without flour.
Read Also: Great British Bake Off Watch Online
Make A Roux For Mac And Cheese
Making a roux is as easy as combining flour, butter, and then adding cream or milk to make the sauce.
Check out this article on how to get started making a roux. Then, follow the instructions below and in the recipe card and youll be all set!
- Melt the butter.
- The mixture should begin to thicken, and should stick to the spoon when poured off.