Baked Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
There are as many different baked macaroni and cheese recipes as there are home cooks. In the South, baked mac and cheese is typically just a simple combination of pasta, eggs, butter, milk and cheese. The eggs set up to create a firm casserole that you can slice into squares to serve. If you prefer that style dish, try my favorite Southern Baked Mac and Cheese recipe. This recipe, by contrast, uses a roux to make a creamy béchamel that coats the noodles in sauce. If you’re looking for the ultimate creamy baked mac and cheeserecipe, then you’ve come to the right place!
What Are The Best Cheeses For Baked Mac And Cheese
As I mentioned above, the secret to creamy baked mac and cheese is Velveeta cheese! This American cheese just melts smoother than other cheeses and gives the sauce that creamy mouthfeel that we’re all looking for. I’ve found that an equal ratio of cheddar cheese and Velveeta cheese yields the best of both worlds — a smooth, creamy mac and cheese with plenty of rich, sharp cheddar flavor.
If you like a combination of other cheeses, you can feel free to replace some of the cheddar with other good melting cheeses. Try Gruyere, Pepper Jack or Monterey Jack, gouda, smoked gouda, Swiss or mozzarella. The options are endless, so pick your favorites!
Classic Baked Macaroni And Cheese
You know, Southern classics like this just never get old. Since the time I started my blog nearly 9 years ago, Ive made it part of my mission to share those classic recipes that just help define the Souths food culture. And while things have changed a little through the years, those tried and true favorites still have a special place in my heart and on my menu.
And while every family has their take on particular recipes, one of my favorite recipes is this Classic Baked Macaroni and Cheese from Southern Living. Of course, I put my own spin on it by using red rind hoop cheese, but its great with a sharp cheddar, too.
Hoop cheese is a mild and creamy cheese that used to be incredibly popular across the South. It has a slightly rubbery texture and mild nutty flavor. Its made with milk only and doesnt include cream or salt like a farmers cheese.
Even though its not as readily available as it once was, many in the South can still find it at locally owned grocery stores, farmers markets, or even the local gas station convenience store. But, again, if you cant find it, a sharp cheddar will work just fine. Yall enjoy!
Don’t Miss: Honey Baked Ham Fredericksburg Va
How To Make The Easiest Mac And Cheese
This is the absolute easiest mac and cheese that you will ever make, and it yields the tastiest and most decadent mac and cheese that you will ever eat! Heres how youll throw this one together:
- Preheat the Oven preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Combine the Pasta, Milk, and Salt add the pasta, milk, and salt to a 3-quart baking dish and stir to combine.
- Add Some of the Butter slice two tablespoons of butter and place over top of the macaroni + milk mixture.
- Cover and Bake cover the dish with a fitted lid or aluminum foil as tightly as possible , then bake for 30 minutes.
- Combine the Butter, Breadcrumbs, and seasonings while the macaroni bakes, combine the other 2 tablespoons of butter , ½ cup of breadcrumbs, 1 teaspoon dried parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder.
- Stir in the Cheese after 30 minutes, remove the macaroni from the oven and take off the lid or foil covering. Stir in the cream cheese, heavy cream, two cups of shredded cheese and the black pepper.
- Top + Bake sprinkle the remaining cup of cheese over top of the macaroni and cheese, followed by the breadcrumbs, then return to the oven and bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes, until the breadcrumbs and cheese are browned on top.
- Serve + Enjoy!
Tips For Creamy Mac And Cheese
- Cook elbows a perfect al dente to avoid mushy noodles
- Shred your own cheese! Pre-shredded cheeses have additives that can keep them from clumping which also makes it so they dont melt smoothly.
- Remove your sauce from the heat before adding cheese to keep it from separating or getting grainy.
- Do not overbake . Once the macaroni is bubbling and heated and the topping is browned, you know it is ready. Everything is cooked, the baking is to meld the flavors and brown the topping.
Read Also: Honey Baked Ham Catering Platters
Several Health Benefits Of Cheese
1. High in Calcium Cheese is an excellent source of calcium for your bones. It contains about 300 milligrams per ounce, which can be as much as 70 percent of the daily recommended calcium intake for women and 50 percent for men.
2. Heart-Healthy A specific type of protein found in cheese called casein has been studied for its potential to decrease the risk of heart disease. In a study published in 2002, participants who consumed cheese and fruits and vegetables experienced lower blood pressure levels than those who only ate produce.
3. Healthy Snack Cheese makes for a great on-the-go snack because it is convenient and packed with several nutrients like calcium, protein, and vitamin B-12. Snacking on cheese can help you beat the mid-afternoon slump.
4. Contains Vitamin A It delivers about 40 percent of your daily allowance for vitamin A, a nutrient that is crucial to good vision and strong immunity against infections.
5. Boosts Cognitive Function Cheese provides a hefty dose of choline, a nutrient that helps make memories and assists in brain functioning. Choline is also present in several other foods like eggs and fish, but cheese contains the highest level per serving.
7. Reduces Risk of Osteoporosis Calcium-rich cheese can help to strengthen your teeth and bones because it regulates calcium and bone metabolism. It also helps in blood clotting, which is very important considering that your bones need blood to grow stronger.
Creamy Baked Mac And Cheese
Ooey, gooey and oh-so-cheesy! This Creamy Baked Mac and Cheese is the best mac and cheese recipe that you’ll ever taste. A made-from-scratch sauce with two different types of cheese creates the smoothest, richest, creamiest casserole. Kids and adults devour this old-fashioned, homemade side dish!
Also Check: How To Cook Baked Potatoes On The Grill
What Is The Best Temperature To Bake Mac And Cheese
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the best temperature to bake Mac and Cheese will vary depending on your preference.
Some people prefer their Mac and Cheese to be baked at a higher temperature to get a crispy top, while others prefer a lower temperature to fully melt the cheese. Ultimately, it is up to you to decide what temperature you prefer to bake your Mac and Cheese.
How To Cook Costco Mac And Cheese In The Air Fryer
The air fryer is another great way to heat Costco mac and cheese. Air fryers are great for cooking frozen or precooked food because they are fast, easy, and clean.
Cooking Costco mac and cheese in the air fryer will take between 35 to 45 min. It is possible to brown the top of mac and cheese by cooking it uncovered for 5 minutes.
You May Like: Protein In Bush’s Baked Beans
How To Cook Costco Mac And Cheese In The Microwave
Cooking Costco mac and cheese in the microwave takes between 17 and 20 minutes, though this is not an exact time. For best results, make sure the temperature is checked frequently.
How To Make New Orleans Baked Mac And Cheese
You can make this flavorful mac and cheese recipe in just 5 easy steps:
Read Also: How Long To Bake Chicken Fingers
How Do You Keep Mac And Cheese From Drying Out
One of the benefits of covering mac & cheese in the oven is that it can keep your meal from drying out. According to chefs, you can keep covered mac & cheese in a 180°F oven for 30 minutes to preserve it before mealtime. This is a fantastic tip if you want to cook your mac & cheese ahead of time for a large crowd.
Another pro tip many foodies recommend is adding sodium citrate to your cheese mix. This common food additive is well known for its emulsifying properties, which help keep your cheese incredibly moist. You can learn more about adding sodium citrate to mac & cheese on this video:
What To Serve With Costco Mac And Cheese
Mac and cheese is one of the most famous dishes in the world. It goes well with a bunch of sides such as salads like tomato and cucumber salad, or roasted vegetables. Alternatively, you can serve this Costco mac and cheese with chicken wings and dipping sauces like mayo, ketchup, or yum yum sauce.
Check out this list of delicious side dishes to serve with Kirkland mac and cheese:
- BBQ Ribs
You May Like: Best Honey Baked Ham Delivery
Could You Eat Mac And Cheese Without Baking It
If you cant be bothered to heat your oven, you could still enjoy a hearty bowl of mac & cheese for dinner. There are loads of stovetop-friendly mac & cheese recipes that dont require baking. In fact, Americas Test Kitchen recently put together a fool-proof mac & cheese stovetop recipe:
If you arent going to use the oven, please be sure you have a mac & cheese recipe that says explicitly no bake. Since your mac & cheese wont spend any time baking, there are significant time adjustments to consider.
The Best And Easiest Mac And Cheese Recipe
When it comes to the recipe for the perfect mac and cheese, everybody has its own and its hard to debate whether one is better than another. For sure, macaroni and cheese are one of those quick family recipes that everyone loves and that can also be customized based on peoples tastes. It can be baked or cooked on a casserole, depends on your taste.
People say macaroni and cheese it Italian by origins and for sure it resembles something Italian but being Italian myself, for me, mac n cheese has never existed I usually make something similar, in some way, called Pasta au gratin which includes a lot of cheese but also charcuterie.
According to the myth, the first ones to prepare macaroni and cheese would have been the French, and traces of the recipe can be found in a 14th-century cookbook. They were brought to the United States by President Thomas Jefferson who tasted this pasta in France in 1700: the mac n cheese spread in a very short time in all the American kitchens.
That said, Americans always claim macaroni cheese as their own, and its not a mystery that Kraft invented the boxed version using macaroni pasta in 1937.
To keep it short, macaroni and cheese are short pasta baked with cheddar cheese melted in a kind of béchamel with the addition of more cheese: once cooked, the macaroni and cheese are meant to be soft and creamy and to have a delicious golden crust on the surface.
Recommended Reading: Honey Baked Ham Woodstock Ga
How To Make Baked Mac And Cheese With Velveeta
This homemade mac and cheese is an ideal side dish that you can prep ahead for special holidays like Thanksgiving or for large family suppers. Assemble it in advance and keep it in the fridge for a couple of days! You can also serve the mac and cheese as a main course for dinner. Throw in some shredded chicken or diced ham, add veggies like steamed broccoli or frozen peas, and you’ve got a delicious and satisfying meal in one pan. The simple, old-fashioned combination of pasta and cheese is always crowd-pleasing!
Mac And Cheese Ingredients
- Cheese: Sharp cheddar gives this baked mac and cheese tons of flavor. The addition of gruyere to the cheese sauce in this recipe is next level but of course whatever you have on and will work just do not use pre-shredded cheese.
- Macaroni: I use a traditional elbow macaroni but any short pasta will work. Shells are great choices! Cook al dente as the pasta cooks more as it bakes.
- Topping: The most perfect buttery crumb topping is one of my favorite parts of this recipe. Add in bacon, more parm, crushed crackers pretty much anything with crunch will work!
Also Check: Nutri Grain Soft Baked Breakfast Bars
Southern Baked Mac & Cheese
There are three major takeaways from Millie Peartree’s famous baked mac & cheese.
Salt and pepper, to taste
If you dont like sharp cheese please feel free to use mild or any other cheese you like
Is Cooked Macaroni And Cheese Bad For You
There are a lot of arguments as to whether or not a baked macaroni and cheese recipe is healthy. However, upon further research, we found that a baked macaroni and cheese recipe has many health benefits.
The main ingredients of this dish are pasta, eggs, milk, cheese, and butter. These ingredients are good for you in energy boost, strength increase, and heart health.
Also Check: Tate’s Bake Shop Southampton New York
How To Make Mac And Cheese
To make mac and cheese youll follow a few simple steps to achieve perfect, ooey gooey homemade mac and cheese! Some of the cooking is done on the stove top before it is baked .
How Long to Bake Mac and Cheese? Mac and cheese should be baked just until hot and bubbly, about 20-25 minutes. Overbaking will cause a dry mac and cheese.
Things To Serve With This Recipe
1. Green salad: Try a simple green salad with your mac and cheese. Add some cherry tomatoes, chopped cucumber, and your favorite salad dressing.
2. Roasted vegetables: Roasted vegetables are a great side dish to any meal. Try roasting broccoli, cauliflower, or carrots and serve them alongside your mac and cheese.
3. Garlic bread: Garlic bread is always a good idea. Try serving your mac and cheese with some toasted garlic bread for dipping.
4. Fried chicken: This might sound like an odd combination, but it works. The crispy fried chicken pairs perfectly with the creamy mac and cheese.
5. Honey glazed ham: Another great option for a meaty side dish. The sweetness of the honey-glazed ham pairs perfectly with the rich and creamy mac and cheese.
6. Bacon: Because bacon makes everything better. Add some crumbled bacon to your mac and cheese for an extra decadent dish.
7. Sautéed mushrooms: Sautéed mushrooms are a great way to add some extra flavor and texture to your mac and cheese.
8. Caramelized onions: Caramelized onions will add a sweet and savory flavor to your mac and cheese.
9. Kale or spinach: If you want to sneak in some greens, try adding some kale or spinach to your mac and cheese. It will add some extra color and nutrition to your dish.
Recommended Reading: Baked Thick Cut Pork Chops