Do I Need To Wrap The Bread In Foil
As I mentioned above, we love when garlic bread is soft and buttery in the middle. Wrapping the loaf in foil ensures this result. For a crispier garlic bread thats more toasted on top, dont wrap and bake for a shorter period . For another slightly more crisp take on garlic bread, see our basil and cheese garlic bread.
Why Is My Garlic Bread Bitter
Garlic gets its flavor from diallyl disulfide, which is a natural oil that turns bitter when exposed to the air. The finer the pieces of garlic, the more oil is released, so a whole clove can sit for longer than pressed garlic before turning bitter. When garlic is overcooked, it turns bitter.
Recommended Reading: Baked Chicken Breast Recipes With Ranch Seasoning
Easy Ingredients In Garlic Bread
Homemade garlic bread is easier to make than you think! It only takes 7 ingredients and you will be all set and ready to make this. See the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements.
- French Bread: You can make this from scratch or your cnan easily buy a loaf at the store!
- Butter: I like to use salted butter . If you take it out early and soften it to room temperature it will be much easier to mix and spread!
- Garlic Powder: You cant make garlic bread without lots of garlic flavoring!
- Garlic Cloves: If you dont have fresh garlic cloves then you can use minced garlic. ½ teaspoon equals about 1 clove.
- Italian Seasoning: You can buy this at the store or make this Italian seasoning at home!
- Parmesan Cheese: Freshly grated parmesan cheese melts the best and tastes divine!
- Parsley: You will use this as a garnish on top!
You May Like: Honey Baked Ham Hickory Nc
Sauce For Garlic Bread
If you have a dairy intolerance, dont worry, I got you. Marinara sauce is another great topping that helps to make a tastier dish. Either spread the sauce on top, or dip it, whichever works best for you. There are plenty of great ways to make your garlic bread tastier, so have fun with it, and get creative if you have some ideas on how to take your garlic bread to the next level.
Can I Make Garlic Bread In Advance
Here are two ways to make garlic bread in advance:
- The garlic butter mixture can be made well in advance and kept in the fridge think of it as a flavored butter. It keeps in the refrigerator for a week, if not more. When you are ready to make the bread, let the garlic butter stand at room temperature for 30 minutes or so before spreading it onto the bread and baking.
- The bread can be spread with garlic butter 8 hours ahead of time. Wrap it in foil and keep in the fridge until about 30 minutes before you are ready to bake.
Also Check: Honey Baked Ham Huntsville Al
How To Freeze Homemade Garlic Bread
After spreading the delicious garlic butter mixture onto your loaf, freeze the garlic bread flat on a baking sheet until its solid, then transfer it to an air-tight container. It can then be baked straight from the freezer, with just a couple of extra baking time added. Or you can slice the bread first, like in my Freezer Garlic Breadrecipe.
How To Make Garlic Bread:
- Preheat oven and cut bread: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut french bread loaf in half horizontally.
- Make garlic butter mixture: In a small mixing bowl stir together butter, garlic, parsley, basil, oregano and pepper.
- Spread butter mixture over bread, place on baking sheet: spread garlic butter mixture evenly over both bread halves. Place bread on baking sheet if you havent already.
- Bake: Bake in preheated oven for 8 minutes.
- Broil: Move oven rack closer to broiler. Let bread broil about 45 seconds to 3 minutes until golden brown. Keep an eye on it, it can brown quickly.
- Slice: Cut into slices and serve warm. Season with a pinch of salt if needed.
Recommended Reading: How To Use Laura Geller Baked Foundation
Don’t Miss: Honey Baked Ham Evans Ga
Garlic Bread Is Quick
Garlic bread is really a last-minute, just-before-sitting-down affair. It bakes quickly in about 15 minutes and its best while that butter is still molten enough to drip down your chin . Leave it until everything else is ready to go, then pop the garlic bread in the oven. If everyone isnt already at the table, I guarantee that the aromas of the garlic bread coming out of the oven will be their siren call.
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
How To Make Garlic Bread Fast
We all have those days where we just want to eat something quickly with little to no preparation. So heres a few tips on how to get mouth-watering garlic bread with minimal effort. If you still have the energy to prepare the meal, then make sure you have the ingredients on hand so you dont have to make a trip to the store. If this is still too much work, I know it is for me sometimes, you can try freezing garlic bread from your previous adventures. When you feel up to cooking, prepare extra portions that you can freeze for a speedier option next time you crave some garlic bread.
Recommended Reading: Baked Bread And Pastry Company
How To Make Garlic Toast
Here are the basic steps for how to make garlic toast. Again, since its so simple wed recommend committing these steps to memory! Once you do it once, you can approximate on the quantities. Or, bookmark this recipe to jog your memory for the quantities and oven temp. Heres what to do:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. This is also the toasting temperature we use for crostini, as well as nuts like pine nuts, walnuts, pecans, etc.
- Combine olive oil, minced garlic & salt. Add it to a medium bowl.
- Brush the bread with the mixture. Use a brush to liberally brush both sides of the bread. Youll need to pick up some of the minced garlic with the brush, as it tends to sink to the bottom.
- Add a pinch of garlic powder. The secret to the nuance of the flavor in this recipe is using both fresh and dried garlic. This really sets it over the top.
- Bake 5 minutes! Bake until the crust is crispy but the interior is still soft. Thats how we like our garlic toast, at least! If youd like them fully crispy like crackers, you can bake 10 minutes.
Butter Substitutes For Garlic Bread
As I just explained, my recipe uses a mix of olive oil and grated cheese in place of butter. Here are a few more butter substitutes you can try:
- Vegan butter or is probably the closest substitute to butter in garlic bread. Simply blend 1 cup vegan butter/margarine with garlic and parsley and follow the rest of the recipe instructions.
- Other oils: This cheesy garlic bread will work with other cooking oils as well. I especially like avocado oil and walnut oil.
- Mayonnaise: A third idea is garlic bread with mayo. Mayonnaise creates a rich and pillowy garlic bread. To make it, mix 1 cup mayo with 3 to 6 minced garlic cloves and slather generously on your loaf.
Read Also: How To Bake Sweet Potatoes
Tips For Making Homemade Bread
While baking bread is a more precise affair than any other form of cooking, it is not mind-boggling as you think maybe.
1. Flour: There are reasons why all recipes about bread require bread flour and it is a good idea to understand Why? All flour contains protein and this protein correspond to how much gluten and gluten give structure and its characteristic chew to any baked goods. Bakers usually prefer bread flour for all yeast baking that requires more body and sturdiness such as bread, thus the name! Bread flour contains an average of 12-14% protein depending on the brand. Since I live here in Canada, I use all-purpose flour for any recipes that require bread flour. Canadian all-purpose flour contains 13.3% protein which is high enough for structure while in theUS, Bread flour contains an average of 13-14% of protein and their all-purpose flour has a standardized 9% to 11% protein content.
2. Yeast: I used to have a stash of two different types of yeast such Active dry yeast and instant dry yeast. Yeast in general makes dough rise and yeast thrive at a warm temperature which is why warm liquid is added to the dough.
The whole reason behind the method of proofing your yeast is to prove that your yeast is alive before use. Unless you go to the store with a great turnover knowing they replace their stocks of yeast and the expiration is not close to its date, then maybe you can scape the proving method but are you brave to take the risk?
How To Make Garlic Bread Without Butter
by Irena | 24 Dec 2021 | Cooking, Snacks
See how to make the best cheesy garlic bread without butter! This simple olive oil garlic bread consists of toasty bread loaded with parmesan and lots of garlic. The recipe is ready in 10 minutes and will score major points with everybody who loves homemade garlic bread!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, we will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. Learn more
Recommended Reading: Baked Squash And Zucchini With Cheese
How To Make Garlic Bread
Garlic bread really is some of the best stuff on earth. Growing up in the 80s, I cant remember a pizza dinner, church basement potluck, or softball game after-party that didnt have a giant mound of buttery garlic bread somewhere in the vicinity. And it was always gone by the time the paper plates were cleared.
Bread, butter, garlic. Thats all you need for a truly outstanding, party-winning batch of garlic bread. In case you need a refresher on your 80s education, heres how you can make some garlic bread of your own tonight.
How To Make Long Loaf Bread At Home
My familys homemade long loaf bread is soft and absorbent with a little chewiness and light crust thats not too hard and crunchy. It will not break your teeth nor you wont start picking your mouth. A homemade bread that can stand any filling or toppings that you desire to eat and works well for tearing, dipping, and mopping any of your favorite sauce and soup.
Its been a while I have been making this bread and it gets better as we spend most of our free time at home. This bread reminds me of my whole ordeal when I was a housekeeper & cook in Hongkong for a French family who cant live without bread. Of course, my lack of skills in baking is under so much pressure. The very first bread I made came out as a hard rock French bread. Nobody dared to slice it because they feared that the bread knife will jump into their hands. I guess a hammer was needed to do the job. But, as Julia Child writes in My life in France, No one is born a great cook, one learns by doing.
This loaf bread is popularly known as French bread on the internet and even at the grocery store. But what I learned then, a French bread only uses flour, water, yeast, and salt, and I have to admit it comes with a complicated technique to get that crispy hard crust and pillowy texture such as baguette or boulle. The reason Im not calling these beauties French bread is because of a little bit of fat added, making it the best tender and light-crusted bread ever.
Also Check: Are Baked Potatoes Good For Weight Loss
Pro Tips For Making This Recipe
- If you only have unsalted butter, simply add a pinch of salt to the melted butter.
- Grate your own parmesan from a block for the best garlic bread. Freshly grated parmesan cheese melts more smoothly than pre-grated parmesan cheese.
- If you do not have parsley, you can use basil instead.
- Want to scale down this recipe? Use ciabatta rolls instead!
- If youre not a fan of parmesan cheese, Asiago cheese makes for a great swap.
- If you do not have fresh garlic, you can use 2 teaspoons of garlic powder. One clove of garlic is approximately ½ teaspoon of garlic powder. I prefer garlic powder to pre-minced bottled garlic as it does not have an aftertaste.
- Do not score the bread before brushing the butter mixture on. Scoring the bread will lead to the butter seeping out of the bread instead of being absorbed.
- For more cheesy garlic bread, add a handful of shredded mozzarella cheese on top of the bread before baking.
- For some added kick, feel free to sprinkle some red pepper flakes on top.
What To Serve With Roasted Garlic Bread
This crusty bread would offer some nice contrast to hearty Italian soups and creamy bisques.
It would also be delicious with a big salad, or of course with saucy pasta and just about any Italian entrée.
Please let me know how your bread turns out in the comments! I love hearing from you. Please also tell me what resources will be helpful for you during this time.
- Total Time:1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield:1 loaf 1x
Recommended Reading: Philadelphia No-bake Cheesecake Recipe
How To Store Roasted Garlic Bread
Make ahead: its easy to prepare the roasted garlic butter mixture in advance and store it in the fridge covered with plastic wrap for up to a week or in the freezer for up to a month. Then, when ready, heat it until lightly melted and brush over your bread of choice, then roast.
You can also freeze the basted but unbaked bread. To do so, lay the bread on a tray making sure no pieces are touching. Freeze until solid, then wrap tightly in plastic wrap and store in a Ziplock bag, if possible for up to 3 months. You can then bake the bread from frozen. Adding a few minutes to the baking time.
Store: roasted garlic bread is best enjoyed fresh while warm. However, you can store any leftovers wrapped in foil at room temperature for 2-3 days.
Freeze: I prefer to freeze the garlic bread pre-baking, so its fresh when eating. However, you can also freeze the roasted garlic bread after baking. Thaw before reheating
Reheat: place the thawed bread back in the oven at 350ºF/175ºC and bake until just warmed through. Dont leave it too long, or it will become overly crispy/burnt. You could optionally sprinkle it with a bit of water before baking for slightly softer results .
How To Make Garlic Bread With Regular Bread
Sometimes you just don’t want to make an extra trip to the grocery store! In that case, you can make homemade garlic toast with regular sandwich bread or even with split hamburger and hotdog buns. Just prepare the butter mixture as instructed in the recipe, spread on your bread of choice, and toast it until golden brown.
Recommended Reading: Half Baked Harvest Chicken Tenders
How To Roast Garlic
Buttery, caramelized garlic adds a sweet, mellow complexity and depth to many dishes. It’s also really easy to make.
How to Roast Garlic00:55
When you roast whole heads of garlic in the oven, each clove becomes creamy, caramelized and buttery soft. Roasted garlic is sweet and surprisingly mellow, and really easy to make. Here’s how to do it.
How To Make It With Sliced Bread
If you dont have anything fancy, dont sweat it. You can easily take the garlic bread spread and slather it on any bread you have lying around. White or wheat sandwich bread will work. Just be sure to toast the slices for only a few minutes since theyre much thinner than a baguette or an Italian loaf.
Read Also: Can You Sell Baked Goods From Home
Tips For The Best Garlic Bread Recipe
- Use a large, soft loaf of Italian or French bread. If you prefer, you can make garlic toast with thick slices of crusty bread, spread both sides of each slice with the garlic butter, and toast in the oven flipping halfway through.
- Use a microplane to grate the garlic cloves . This helps evenly distribute the garlic throughout the spread so that you dont bite into a large chunk of garlic on your toast.
- Herbs: The parsley here is optional. If you dont have fresh parsley, substitute with 1 teaspoon of dried parsley flakes, or omit the parsley altogether. You can also try adding other herbs that you enjoy, such as thyme, oregano, chives, or basil.
- Cheese: top the buttered garlic bread with grated Parmesan or cheddar cheeses before toasting.
- Garlic Powder: if you dont have fresh cloves of garlic, substitute with about ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Soft or Crunchy: This recipe yields bread thats soft and chewy on the inside, but toasted and crisp on the edges. If you prefer soft garlic bread, wrap the loaf in foil before baking.
What Herb Goes Well With Garlic Bread
With regards to herbs I like to keep it classic with parsley. Nice and fresh, not too overpowering. Parsley is certainly the most mainstream choice, other recipes dont include any herbs at all.
How to make roasted garlic butter : Mash roasted garlic into a pinch of salt to break up any hard bits , add unsalted butter, parsley, black pepper and olive oil, combine until smooth .
Also Check: Nature Valley Cocoa Peanut Butter Soft Baked Filled Squares
You May Like: What Temperature Do You Bake Peanut Butter Cookies At