How Do You Make Leftover Tater Tots Crispy
Reheating tater tots in the oven
Place them in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes, turning once, halfway. Remove and serve them immediately. The oven method is the best and most convenient way to restore tater tots crispy exterior while keeping them soft and tender inside. Be mindful not to scorch them.
Can You Put Frozen Tater Tots In A Deep Fryer
If you have frozen homemade tater tots, there is no need to defrost them before cooking. Preheat vegetable oil in a deep fryer to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. This will keep the tater tots crispy during frying. Fill the deep-fryer basket no more than halfway with tater tots and submerge them in the preheated oil.
How Do You Make Baked Tater Tots
To make baked Tater Tots, you will need: potatoes, olive oil, salt, pepper, and bread crumbs. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Cut the potatoes into small pieces. You can use a food processor to do this, or you can just use a sharp knife. Put the potatoes in a large bowl and add the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Mix everything together well. Then put the bread crumbs in a shallow dish. Take each potato piece and dunk it in the bread crumbs until it is coated. Place the Tater Tots on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until they are golden brown.
You May Like: Honey Baked Ham Mesquite Tx
Tater Tot Recipe Twists And Serving Ideas
Feel free to use this Tater Tots recipe as a base for a variety of flavors!
- Cajun Tater Tots. Spice up your Tater Tots! Swap in one teaspoon of Cajun seasoning and either reduce or omit the added salt from the recipe. These would be delicious dipped in my Greek Yogurt Ranch Dip.
- Garlic Black Pepper Tater Tots. A favorite in our household! Double the amount of pepper to one teaspoon and use fresh minced garlic instead of garlic powder.
- Hashbrown Tots. Serve these at brunch in place of hashbrowns. Instead of ketchup, include a side of my delicious Homemade BBQ Sauce.
- Tater Tots and Eggs. Top your Tater Tots with Eggs and serve them for a rib-sticking breakfast.
- Tater Tot Casserole . For the ultimate from-scratch Tater Tot hotdish, use these homemade Tater Tots in your favorite hot dish recipe.
Whether you need a surprising, gobble-it-up appetizer or a painless way to convince your picky eaters to eat their veggies, these better-for-you Tater Tots will hit the spot.
Youll feel great knowing you are making a better-for-you batch of Tater Tots that far surpasses anything from a frozen bag!
How Long Does It Take To Cook Frozen Tater Tots In The Oven
How Long Does It Take To Cook Frozen Tater Tots In The Oven? It takes about 20 minutes to cook frozen tater tots in the oven.
Can you bake tater tots in a convection oven? Yes, you can bake tater tots in a convection oven. The convection oven will circulate the air around the tater tots, which will help them cook evenly.
How do you make frozen Tater Tots crispy? There are a few ways to make frozen tater tots crispy. One way is to preheat the oven to 475 degrees Fahrenheit and cook them for 18 minutes. Another way is to place them in a single layer on a baking sheet and cook for 15 minutes.
How long does it take to cook Tater Tots at 350? It takes about 15 minutes to cook Tater Tots at 350 degrees.
You May Like: Milton’s Gluten Free Crispy Sea Salt Baked Crackers
Tools For This Recipe
– Check out all of my kitchen essentials here.
- This is the skillet I used in this recipe, . Its pricey, but it conducts heat really well and is oven safe. The size is perfect and the quality is great.
- Better Than Bouillon is my brand of choice for broth. Add 1 tsp. of it with 1 cup of water to create 1 cup of broth. Its easy to customize the amounts that you need to cook with and it takes up very little storage space in the fridge.
Easy Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
This tater tot hotdish recipe couldnt be easier. As mentioned, you should have all these things in your kitchen, so put them to good use. It only takes 15 minutes to put it together and 45 minutes to bake, leaving you with time to relax or whip up a few sides, whatever youd prefer!
Gimme some of your tots.Napoleon Dynamite
Read Also: Honey Baked Ham Duluth Ga
What Are Tater Tots
Tater Tots are bite-sized potato nuggets that Ore-Ida originally created in 1953. Also, Tater Tots became so popular fast, so production of Tater Tots was ramped up! So, Tater Tots are easy to make, and theyre even easier to eat! Tater Tots can be served on their own or with ketchup or other dips, for example, sour cream.
Tater Tots are made of cubed potatoes, corn starch, salt, and pepper. Once the ingredients are combined into dough form, its rolled through a machine that cuts the dough into Tater Tot shapes. Then the Tater Tots drop straight down into boiling oil, where they fry until crispy golden brown. The last step is to blast Tater Tots with cold air so they can firm up and become Tater Tots, not soggy Tater Tots!
Once Tater Tots cool down completely after coming out of the fryer, its time for packaging. Tater Tots are packaged in a variety of different ways:
How Do You Fry Tater Tots Without Them Falling Apart
Be careful not to spatter or spill oil onto hot burner of range. Preheat cooking oil in electric deep fryer to 375°F. Fill deep fryer not more than half full of oil. Fill fryer basket not more than half full of frozen Tater Tots. Carefully lower basket into hot oil. Fry 3-4 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
Recommended Reading: Baked Whole Grain Tortilla Chips
Tater Tot Casserole Ingredients
- Frozen tater tots The star ingredient of todays recipe!
- Ground beef For a tater tot casserole with ground beef, be sure to choose lean to balance the fat content of the meat.
- White onion Dice it up.
- Soup cans Youll need one each of condensed cheddar cheese and cream of mushroom.
- Veggie cans Youll also need one each of corn and green beans. My kids love this tater tot casserole with green beans.
- Shredded cheddar Is there anything better than cheese to bring this all together? Spoiler alert: nothing is better than cheese!
- Sour cream Making tater tot casserole with sour cream adds more richness and tang.
- Seasonings Garlic powder, salt, and pepper can all be found on your spice rack, no doubt!
- Worcestershire sauce Brings out the best in the beef.
Which Is Worse For You Mac And Cheese Or French Fries
Mac and Cheese
Macaroni and cheese sounds like a healthier substitute for fries. But this dairy-laden pasta is just as bad as French fries when you look at the numbers. The average side order at chain restaurants has 436 calories, 24 grams of fat, 12 grams of saturated fat and 1,082 milligrams of sodium.
Don’t Miss: Porto’s Bake At Home Coupon
Many Ways To Cook Frozen Tater Tots
I fully recommend cooking tater tots
- In the oven
- You can cook tater tots in a deep fryer.
But I DO NOT recommend trying to cook frozen tots in the microwave.
They turn out mushy every single time (unless you have the ones that come in a special package and are specifically formulated for cooking in the microwave.
Why Are Tater Tots Bad For You
Tater tots definitely arent a low-fat food, since they contain more than 10 percent of the DV for fat. Each 10-piece serving of tater tots provides 7.2 grams of fat, including 1.5 grams of saturated fat. Should you eat a larger 1-cup serving, youll be consuming 11 grams of fat, including 2.3 grams of saturated fat.
Don’t Miss: Bush’s Low Sodium Baked Beans
Seasoning For Tater Tots
Seasoning is the way to REALLY capture the essenceof tater tots!
Start by just following the instructions in the recipe card below! That recipe makes delicious and tasty tater tots!
- Altering the amount of salt and pepper.
- Substitute garlic or onion powder for the season all salt.
- Try parmesan cheese!
- Brewers Yeast for a cheesy flavor anyone?
- A sprinkle of truffle oil and parmesan cheese is a yummy taste!
Yummy crispy tater tots
Basic Tater Tots Recipe:
- Time to Prepare: 5 minutes
- Time to Cook: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
3 ounce bag of frozen tator tots 1 tablespoon oil Salt and pepper, to season
You have to adjust the Tater Tots cooking time according to the type of Tater Tots you bought. For example, if they are a thinner version of Tater Tots, you will need to cook them for 8-10 minutes at 350°F, but if they are thicker Tater Tots, then 15 minutes at 350°F would be good enough. If you dont know what thickness Tater Tots you have received as your catering order, just cook them separately as an experiment and try different times for thin and thick Tater Tots until you find the perfect cooking time for them in your air fryer.
Once done with experimenting with cooking times, you need to place Tater Tots into the air fryer basket. You can coat them with oil or not, but if you do decide to give Tater Tots a light dusting of oil before placing them in the fryer basket, use an oil mister so that Tater Tots dont absorb too much oil.
Set your digital timer on your machine for about 4 minutes for thin Tater Tots and 7-8 minutes for thick Tater Tots at 350°F . When done cooking, they will be crispy, crunchy on the outside, and soft on the inside like any other fries or tator tots sold in fast-food restaurants .
Tater Tots can be served with ketchup, ranch dressing, or any other condiments that you like best.
Also Check: How To Bake Squash In The Oven
How Long Do Tater Tots Fry For
Fill depth fryers not less than 1/2 full with oil . Careful lowering of baskets into oil until they are fully submerged. Taters are done when they turn golden brown. They are cooked for about 3 minutes per side. Do not overcook. If you want to make them extra crispy, add a little bit of water to thin out the oil before cooking. You can also add some chopped onion, garlic, or mushrooms to thicken the sauce. This recipe is for 2 to 4 servings.
Microwave Normal Tater Tots Step By Step
Step 1: On a microwaveable plate, arrange the tater tots in a way that they dont touch each other. Creating space between your tots so they can cook evenly.
Step 2: Microwave the tots for about 30 seconds.
Step 3: Open the microwave and then carefully turn the tater tots around.
Step 4: Continue cooking the tater tots in the microwave for another 30 seconds.
Step 5: Open the microwave to test the doneness of the tots. Frozen tater tots might require longer cooking time. If you notice that the inside is still cold. Repeat step 2 to step 4 until theyre heated through.
Step 6: Serve right away with some ketchup.
Don’t Miss: Delivery Of Honey Baked Ham
How To Make It
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
Cook/crumble ground beef and onions until cooked through. Add garlic and bell peppers and cook for 2 minutes. Drain grease.
Mix in salt/pepper, ketchup, yellow mustard, and tomato paste. Sprinkle in flour and stir to combine. Cook for 2 minutes.
Add the beef broth/seasoning mixture in small splashes and use a silicone spatula to clean the bottom of the pot, as this will add more flavor to the sauce.
Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer. Let it thicken and reduce for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
Top with corn, then with cheese.
Add tater tots in an even layer on top. Bake for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and add additional ½ cup cheese. Bake 5 more minutes.
Optional: Garnish with chives and crispy bacon or bacon bits prior to serving.
The Ingredients In Tater Tots Are Simple
In addition to a simple cooking method, I also wanted simple ingredients. Youll love knowing exactly what is in the Tater Tots: just potatoes, olive oil, a bit of flour, spices, and any optional additions, like bacon and cheese. Frozen tater tots contain stabilizers, preservatives, and undisclosed natural flavors. Not this homemade recipe!
The fact that these Tater Tots are not deep fried at any point in the cooking process makes these Tater Tots relatively good for you too.
Also Check: Are Lays Baked Chips Gluten Free
How Do I Serve With Tater Tots
Tater Tots can be served as a side dish and also as a snack or appetizer.
When serving Tater Tots, serve them with ketchup, mustard, cheese sauce, and any of your other favorite dipping sauces.
This is such a quick and easy recipe, and it’s perfect for anyone who is new at Air Frying and looking to try something easy.
MORE EASY AIR FRYER RECIPES
Tater Tots Cooking Time
Cooking crispy tots is best done by following the directions on the package. To cook frozen Tater Tots in the oven:
The cooking time listed is for approximately 16 ounces, or five servings, of Tater Tots. Cooking time may be reduced if you are cooking a small number of tots.
You can also make homemade tots. Here is a simple tot recipe from Illinois Extension:
For best results, keep the Tater Tots frozen until you are ready to cook them. You can keep food safely in the freezer indefinitely however, food quality does decline over time. For the best quality, the USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service recommends using packaged frozen foods like dinners and entrees within three to four months.
Recommended Reading: Beth’s Little Bake Shop
How To Make Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
- Lightly grease an 8 or 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Brown the ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drain excess fat.
- Add the onions to the skillet and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes until translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for an additional minute.
- Stir in Worcestershire sauce and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer ground beef mixture to the prepared baking dish and spread evenly.
- Top with cream of mushroom soup, followed by green beans, followed by the cheddar cheese. Make sure to season the green bean layer.
- Finally, top with tater tots.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until tater tots are golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.
What Are Tater Tots Best Served With
Your tater tots pair really well with a nice omelet, some crispy bacon and a cup of coffee. However you can also choose to add them on salads, burgers or potato casseroles.
This brief guide has just given you the answer to: How to cook tater tots in the microwave. Bourbon O also answered some questions related to cooking tater tots, providing other cooking methods for you to try.
Also Check: What To Bake With Bananas
How To Make Cheesy Tater Tots
For delicious cheesy tater tots,
- Melt 4 oz of velveeta cheese with ¼ cup of milk on the stove top or in the microwave. Drizzle over your tater tots.
- Secondly, you can sprinkle the hot tater tots with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Finally, for a little zip, mix a can of Rotel tomatoes and chilis with 8 oz of velveeta cheese and gently melt on the stove top or in the microwave, use this as a dip or to top off your tater tots! YUM!
How To Cook Tater Tots In A Convection Oven
If you have a convection oven, it is likely that you are able to turn the convection function off to start.
- For this recipe, leave the convection setting off, follow the directions in the recipe card below.
- Turn the convection function ON for the last 5 minutes of baking. This will brown your tater tots nicely. Check them every 2 minutes to make sure they dont over brown.
Ready for the oven
You May Like: Hidden Valley Ranch Baked Potatoes
How To Cook Tater Tots In Air Fryer:
Tater Tots are potato puffs, which are the trademarked version of Ore-Ida. Tater Tots were originally known as Tators Taters . Taters tot is a convenient food for school lunch boxes in America. They consist of cubed or diced potatoes that have been formed into a small rounded shape before being deep-fried.
They can be eaten alone or with condiments such as ketchup or ranch dressing.
Tater Tots have been popular in American society since 1953 when Ore-Ida introduced them to supermarkets across the country with their patented 24 Karat Golden packaging.
In my experience, they taste best if you freeze them for hours before cooking them in an air fryer. Tater Tots can be cooked in an air fryer at home without any special cooking skills to produce crispy Tater Tots.