Why This Is Our Favorite Homemade Mac & Cheese Ever
Hello, my name is Holly and I am obsessed with Macaroni and Cheese. I love all kinds from crock pot mac & cheese to baked mac and cheese, or even out of a little blue box. Of all of the cheesy macaroni recipes, *this* recipe right here is the best mac and cheese recipe ever and always gets rave reviews!
- The sauce is from scratch and easy to make.
- This recipe is extra saucy.
- The pasta doesnt get dry, its still nice and creamy even after its baked in the oven.
- Its got great flavor, especially when using sharp cheddar cheese.
- And most importantly, its the best homemade mac and cheese youve ever had.
Getting Everything Ready For Baking
Next, drain the pasta from the water and add it to the skillet over the cheese. Toss the pasta around with the sauce to coat well.
Transfer the Mac and Cheese to a baking dish . Add a layer of shredded cheddar cheese to the top.
To prepare the panko crust, melt 1 tbsp. of butter in a non-stick skillet. Add in the panko crumbs, paprika and toast to give the crumbs a light brown color. Turn of the heat and add in the grated parmesan cheese. Mix together and then top the cheddar cheese with the panko crumb mixture.
Bake in a pre-heated 400 degree oven for 15 minutes.
Remove the dish from the oven and top with some fresh chopped parsley for garnishing. The parsley is completely optional. I know some kids do not like to see green things on their food. You can even sprinkle some pepper flakes on top if you would like to spice things up a little.
Variations Of Mac And Cheese
- Bacon if you love bacon, feel free to add some crispy, crumbled bacon to the topping, or even inside the mac and cheese as well!
- Stovetop if youd prefer not to bake this mac and cheese, you dont have to! Make sure you boil your pasta until al dente , and youll only need about 3 3 1/2 cups of cheese total. No need to layer the pasta and cheese, just add all the cheese to the sauce, then combine with the pasta.
- Different Toppings Im a huge fan of the cheese layer on top, since it gets nice and crispy, but we also love tossing 1 cup of panko with 2 Tbsp of melted butter and using that as a topping. 1 cup of crushed Ritz crackers with 2 Tbsp of butter work amazingly well too!
- Different Baking Times the recipe calls for a lower baking temperature and time, but most of the time I find myself adjusting that based on my familys tastes. I like to bake this mac and cheese at 350 F degrees for 30 minutes, then broil for 2-3 minutes to get that glorious cheesy crust.
Recommended Reading: Nature Valley Cocoa Peanut Butter Soft Baked Filled Squares
Speaking Of That Toasted Panko Topping
My baked macaroni and cheese is incredibly cheesy and creamy, but what really sets it over the top is the buttery panko topping. I love the crisp, crunchy texture of panko . Panko gives the smooth and creamy mac and cheese that extra something that makes it irresistible.
Before adding it to the top of your baked mac and cheese, youll add it to a small pan along with some butter and olive oil and then stir it frequently until it becomes lightly golden/toasted.
Its such an easy extra step and it adds everything to this baked mac and cheese!
Can I Refrigerate Before Baking
Yes, you can refrigerate macaroni and cheese before you bake it. This make-ahead mac and cheese is a great option for meal prep. Do all the cooking whenever you have the time and bake it right before youre ready to eat.
To refrigerate before baking, you will complete all the steps up to putting the mixture in the pan. Cover the dish with foil and refrigerate for up to two days. When youre ready to bake it, pull the mac out of the fridge while the oven is preheating and top with breadcrumbs and Parmesan.
You will need to bake the macaroni and cheese casserole a little longer since itll be cold. Bake for about 30-40 minutes until heated through.
Recommended Reading: Mac And Cheese Ingredients Baked
How Do You Make Baked Macaroni And Cheese
It is really so simple! Traditional macaroni and cheese recipes call for making a roux, but Im going a different and easier route that is just as delicious!
This baked mac and cheese is ready for the oven in less than 15 minutes! It really is so simple and so incredibly delicious to boot!
First, start cooking your macaroni noodles. You want to cook them to al dente, and no longer. This will ensure that you dont get mushy noodles once they are baked.
While the noodles are cooking, start the cheese sauce.
Ever since I made my easy cheddar cheese sauce, I have been hooked on this method.
All you do is add your cornstarch, milk, and cheese to a sauce pan. Warm it up and whisk until thick and cheesy. Its really that simple, and foolproof too! No need for a roux that requires constant supervision.
Plus the sauce is ready by the time the noodles are done cooking!
Once your noodles are cooked, drain them and add them to the saucepan with the cheese.
Give it a good stir to combine.
Other Side Dishes You Will Enjoy
- Grate both the cheddar and sharp cheddar cheeses and combine together in a bowl.
Cheese Division Divide into three groups
- One group will make up the sauce 3 cups
- One group will be added in between layers of the macaroni and cheese 1 1/2 cups
- Last group will top the dish 1 1/2 cups
- Set groups of cheese aside.
Pasta Cook And Prep
- Bring salted water to a boil in a large pot.
- Add the pasta and cook until al dente, usually about 1 minute less than the package directs to cook pasta.
- While the pasta is cooking, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 3-quart baking dish and set it aside.
- Drain the pasta and set it aside.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Slowly add the flour in and whisk to combine. Continue to whisk and cook for about a minute.
- Combine the milk and half and half into a large measuring cup.
- Slowly pour in 2 cups of the half and half, whisking constantly. Whisk until smooth.
- Slowly pour in the remaining half and half and the whole milk, whisking constantly, until smooth.
- Slowly pour in the remaining half and half and the whole milk, whisking constantly, until smooth.
- Whisking very often, continue to cook until the sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add salt and pepper.
- Add the cheese portion that makes up 3 cups. First, add half of it and mix to combine.
- Once melted, add the additional 1 1/2 cups and continue to stir until melted and smooth.
Putting It Together
Read Also: Baked Zucchini And Squash Parmesan
Best Cheese For Mac And Cheese
A combination of Gruyere and mozzarella cheese. Gruyerefor the most superior flavour with the best melting qualities for creamy sauces such as this theres no contention in my view. And mozzarella for stretch nothing does the cheese pull like a good mozzarella!
But honestly, any cheese that melts well works is excellent with Mac and Cheese, such as cheddar, tasty, Colby, Swiss, Pepper Jack, Emmental.
Homestyle Meatloaf With Brown Sugar Glaze
Make ahead dinners are more than freezer food and slow cooker soups. This homestyle meatloaf with brown sugar glaze can be tossed together the night before and baked after you get in from work. Itll be done before the news is off.
I guess Im going to have to castrate my own cow. I told my husband over dinner a couple of nights ago.
Most men would have choked on their dinner, but my husband never broke his chewing stride.
Do you know how to castrate a cow? He asked.
(This is where most men would say something like Honey Ill help you or I dont want you to get hurt, Ill make sure it gets done but not my husband. Hes totally willing to let me go it on my own.
Well I dont know how to do it your way but I do know one We went on to discuss topics that dont belong on a food blog, but lets just say I am no further in my quest for fresh beef than I was when I started. We have black Angus cattle in the pasture right outside, but Im still buying my meat at the grocery. Why?
Mostly because by the time Jeremy decides we might make a beef the calf is 400 pounds and almost looking us in the eye. Its too late then folks. I have had too many bruises to name from my husbands big cattle working ideas and I dont need any more.
I use ground chuck for the best flavor and drain it twice as it cooks. Just tip the pan carefully at an angle until you can dip out most of the drippings with a spoon or hold the meatloaf steady with a spatula and slowly tip it to drain it.
Also Check: Bake N Cakes Lansing Mi
Recipes: Vegan What’s Up With That Jessica Seinfeld Tells Allyour Browser Indicates If You’ve Visited This Link
Jessica Seinfeld became a vegan almost by stealth. The cookbook author and philanthropist started quietly making separate meals for herself without dairy or meat. “I just started doing it myself and experimenting with it and not talking about it and kind of seeing how I would feel,
How To Make Homemade Mac And Cheese
Making homemade macaroni and cheese is surprisingly easy and quick!
Don’t Miss: Baked Zucchini Fries No Breading
To Bake Or Not To Bake:
You dont have to bake the mac and cheese in this recipe. Everything gets fully cooked and is essentially ready to eat after the cheese and noodles are added. However, I love the extra gooeyness that comes when the cheese is baked and I think baking it adds a level of sophistication you just dont get without.
Jessica’s Seinfeld’s Vegan Mac And Cheese Uses Plant Milkyour Browser Indicates If You’ve Visited This Link
I have served this many times to non-vegans and they always go for seconds. I use cashew or almond milk for their mild flavor, but you can always experiment with other plant-based milks. For the macaroni and cheese: 16 ounces shredded plant-based cheddar cheese For the breadcrumb topping: Position the oven rack about 8 inches from the top and heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Do I Have To Bake My Macaroni And Cheese
Nope, you dont! Its thick, creamy, and tantalizing even if you dont bake it. If you dont want to bake your mac and cheese, just stop at this step!
Once your noodles and sauce are combined, transfer them to a baking dish
Top with panko additional cheese and panko style bread crumbs.
Bake at 400 degrees for around 15 minutes, or until the top is browned and bubbly.
Make Awesome Baked Macaroni And Cheese With These Recipes + Tipsyour Browser Indicates If You’ve Visited This Link
They used tomatoes a lot, so a variety of the baked macaroni we know today combines these essential ingredients: pasta, meat, tomato sauce, cream sauce, and cheese. This cheesy ultimate comfort food that has the power to turn a frown into a smile is the iconic baked macaroni and cheese.
Read Also: The Honey Baked Ham Co
How To Make Easy Baked Mac And Cheese
The Pasta: You can use any type of pasta to make this recipe. For my kids, I make sure I choose a smaller kind of pasta, like a smaller sized of elbow pasta or smaller shells or the mini bowtie pasta. The normal size works too, so if you have older kids that are not picky, you can totally use those. Below is a photo of elbow pasta. You can also use gluten free, whole wheat, chickpea or even veggie based pastas if you needed to.
Cook the pasta for just about 7 minutes after the water starts boiling, based on the direction on the package. Set the pot aside. No need to drain the pasta.
Frequently Asked Questions About Mac And Cheese
How do I customize my Mac and Cheese?
You can customize this Mac and Cheese recipe however way you like! Here are some suggestions:
Proteins: Chicken, Shrimp, Lobster. I recommend one of these proteins if you would like to add any into the dish. Before adding them to the dish, be sure to dice or cut into smaller portions and sauté until fully cooked because when the Mac and Cheese goes into the oven, its basically just a quick bake and it isnt enough time to fully cook the proteins.
Spices: I love adding bold spices when my kids are not eating it. Its more like an adult Mac and Cheese time. I love added spices like Cajun, Chipotle, Spicy Fajita, Jambalaya, Cayenne pepper or even Tabasco or Sriracha sauce.
Veggies: I love adding veggies when I make a Fajita Mac and Cheese dish. I add sautéed onions and peppers along with Fajita spices of course. I also love adding some fresh broccoli florets into this dish.
What kind of cheese do I use to make Mac and Cheese?
Can I make Mac and Cheese with Gluten Free Pasta?
Absolutely. Feel free to swap out the type of pasta to fit your nutritional needs as well as use gluten free flour instead of regular all purpose flour for the base sauce.
Can I use low Fat Milk to make Mac and Cheese?
You can sure substitute for 2% but no less. However, using full fat milk will make the dish creamier.
What can I serve with Mac and Cheese?
- Chicken Nuggets
Can I store Mac and Cheese?
Read Also: Honey Baked Ham Simpsonville Sc
Can I Make This Macaroni And Cheese Ahead And Bake It When Im Ready
Yes you sure can. Just let it cool down, put some plastic wrap right against the surface of the mac and cheese and stick it in the fridge. If you have a few minutes to bring it out and let it warm slightly before you bake it, do that. But if you cant, just bake it till the center is hot and the edges are bubbling.
Simple Baked Macaroni And Cheese
When it comes to macaroni and cheese, lets face facts, its all about the cheese. So it should come as no surprise why this recipe uses none other than Velvetta. The creamy, smooth and rich texture that Velvetta provides simply cannot be beat when it comes to creating the best macaroni and cheese recipe around.
This recipe also does not call for a roux, which is the combination of butter, flour and milk primarily used to thicken sauces. Many recipes that use flour leave a floury aftertaste that can be unappealing.
Simply melt the milk and butter and add the cheese. Pour it over the cooked macaroni and add a buttery topping of breadcrumbs and bake until it is heated through.
Now thats what we call simple!
- 4 oz. sharp shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 stick salted butter, divided in half
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
Also Check: How To Use Laura Geller Baked Foundation
How To Make Mac And Cheese:
Homemade macaroni and cheese is seriously simple to make! With the help of pre-shredded cheese, it truly is a straightforward process that ends with a gloriously creamy pan of mac and cheese that you will love! Heres how its done:
- Preheat your oven and place the rack in the centerthis rack placement ensures an even, golden brown crust on top of your creamy mac and cheese!
- Cook your pasta just one minute shy of al dente. The pasta will continue to cook in the oven, so this keeps it from becoming mushy.
- Make a two-ingredient roux! Butter and flour is all youll need for this step to make a simple rouxaka, the base of your homemade cheesy cream sauce.
- Slowly, slowly add some whole milk to your roux, whisking as you go. The more slowly you add the milk the thicker the sauce will be.
- Add Tillamook Triple Cheddar Shredded Cheese, salt, pepper, garlic powder, mustard powder and stir to complete that luscious, silky sauce!
- Add the macaroni to the cheese sauce and stir to combine.
- Top with buttery panko and extra cheese and pop that baby in the oven!
And there you have it, easy mac and cheese! I personally enjoy my serving slathered in sriracha, but it also pairs well with green peas, a big salad or with a few green apple slices on the side! Sometimes I go crazy and sprinkle the finished mac and cheese with a little parmesan as well.
Tips For Perfect Cheese Sauce
Have you ever made a mac and cheese that wasnt creamy or smooth? Instead if was grainy or gritty? The worst! Heres a few steps you should take for perfectly creamy cheese sauce.
Recommended Reading: How Long Do You Bake Garlic Bread