Best Cheese For Mac And Cheese
A combination of Gruyere and mozzarella cheese. Gruyerefor the most superior flavour with the best melting qualities for creamy sauces such as this theres no contention in my view. And mozzarella for stretch nothing does the cheese pull like a good mozzarella!
But honestly, any cheese that melts well works is excellent with Mac and Cheese, such as cheddar, tasty, Colby, Swiss, Pepper Jack, Emmental.
Tips For The Best Baked Jalapeo Popper Mac And Cheese
- Using block cheese is the way to go when youre making mac and cheese. The pre-shredded cheese is coated and wont melt properly. Grate it yourself for the best results.
- Cook your pasta to slightly less than al dente, about one minute shy is perfect thats about 7 minutes for macaroni.The reason is that this is baked mac and cheese so the pasta will continue to cook in the oven.
- I used elbow pasta but really, any tubular, short pasta will work.
- The roux is super important to getting the creamiest cheese sauce. Three things to look for:
- The roux is whisked together until bubbly and golden.
- Whisk in cold milk not warm to prevent the flour from clumping.
- Cook the roux, stirring nearly constantly, until you see bubbles on the surface and then continue cooking for an additional 2 minutes before adding the cheese. This will keep the sauce from turning grainy.
Youll notice this recipe calls for two jalapeños. I removed the seeds and membranes before dicing which cuts down on the heat a bit. I mean, this is Jalapeño Popper Mac and Cheese so a little heat should be expected. If youre like whaaaat? Bring on the spicy! Keep the seeds and membranes intact and dice away OR add another jalapeño.
I further tame those spicy jalapeños by sautéing in butter. This also serves another purpose as it gives the cheese sauce amazing flavor. I add back in a little heat and lots of flavor by adding in some TABASCO® Sauce.
Baked Macaroni And Cheese September 16 2021pasta And Pizza Recipes Sides
Baked macaroni and cheese has been a staple across dining room tables for as long as I can recall.
With that said, for most of my life growing up our macaroni and cheese came out of a box.
In fact, one of the things that remind me of my childhood was my favorite dish: macaroni and cheese with hotdogs in it. Is that weird? My wife thinks so.
When we got together for the holidays there would always be real baked macaroni and cheese. It was always a treat.
I would respond with the wow, the real deal. Invariably, while good, it always seemed drier and less gooey cheesy than the standard Velveeta mac and cheese.
We decided to set out with creating our own mac and cheese that offered up that gooey goodness. Leigh was adamant that this would have to be accomplished without using processed American cheese. I wasnt convinced that it could be done.
We also wanted to make this dish using simple ingredients. No fancy cheeses or toppings. Just straight up macaroni and cheese.
There is always room to get fancy but we wanted to start with a super creamy and yummy version that anybody would be wanting to make.
Well, we did it. Honestly, this baked macaroni and cheese is gooey. It is cheesy. And most importantly it is NOT dry.
It is the best homemade baked macaroni and cheese I have ever had.
If you were like us, kind of off-put by attempting a deliciously creamy and cheesy homemade baked macaroni and cheese because of past failures, rest easy.
Recommended Reading: Honey Baked Ham Pensacola Fl
Whats The Difference Between Manwich And Sloppy Joes
Technically Manwich is a pre-made sauce thats used to make sloppy joes. Im not sure exactly whats in it, and have never tried it myself, so I cant say that my recipe tastes similar or not. Manwich is marketed as a easy way to make sloppy joes but in reality, homemade sloppy joes are JUST as easy to make!
The Best Homemade Sloppy Joes
The Chunky Chef10/24/2018
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Step away from the canned sauce and give these homemade sloppy joes a try! Theyre truly the best version of a childhood favorite!
As we head into the upcoming holiday season, Ive been thinking about family-friendly meals. You know, those meals that your kids always want to eat. In our house, this Creamy Baked Mac and Cheese is number one on our list with these sloppy joes being number 2! With two little ones myself, I know ALL too well how frustrating it is to cook a meal and have them promptly turn up their noses and say its gross. *facepalm*
Ive always been a fan of classic sloppy joes. Theres something so innately satisfying about the sweet and savory combination and messiness of it all! And I know you all love them too, since Ive been getting a lot of requests for sloppy joe recipes.
Ive made a LOT of sloppy joe recipes lately, trying to come up with the perfect one. Some were too sweet, others too spicy. Well guys, I finally got it. The perfect balance. This sloppy joe recipe is sweet, tangy, zesty and savory, with the perfect texture and consistency.
Also Check: Can You Bake With Almond Milk
Baked Macaroni And Cheese
Baked macaroni and cheese doesnt have to be complicated with layers of ingredients to be the soul-warming food you crave. This homemade baked macaroni and cheese is my most favorite and has pleased crowds, small families, kids and picky eaters alikegive it a try and youll see why.
Sometimes you buy that glowing yellow macaroni in the box. Your kids like it, but it glows like the kryptonite they used in the old Christoper Reeve Superman movies.
Thats not normal people.
And I hate to break it to you, but theres nothing real in that box either.
I hate feeding it to my kids and I dare say that you hate it too. But I can also guess you dont know many other alternatives. Sure, you can get a box of Velveeta and melt that over some noodles. That works too, but that stuff doesnt even need to be refrigerated. Its mystery cheese.
So if youre looking for the real deal, the old school baked macaroni and cheese the way your grandma might have made itthis is it.
And just so you know, aside from the baking, this easy macaroni and cheese took 15 minutes and only two pans to make. One for boiling the pasta and a good enameled cast iron pan for the sauce and the baking cuts down on dishes. So yes, even you can make this on a week night.
Jalapeo Popper Mac And Cheese
The BEST Jalapeño Popper Mac and Cheese youll ever try! Extra creamy, loaded with bacon, cream cheese, jalapeños, and kicked up a notch with TABASCO® Sauce, this delicious and easy mac and cheese is sure to be a new favorite! Bacon lover? Make sure to try this Baked Bacon Cheese Dip and Slow Cooker Green Beans with Bacon!
Sponsored by TABASCO® Brand.
You May Like: Honey Baked Ham North Myrtle Beach
Who Said Basic Has To Be Boring Mac And Cheese Recipe
This is a tried and true rich mac and cheese recipe. This recipe calls for shredded sharp cheddar and grated parmesan cheeses. You will make a basic roux with flour and butter, and milk that you slowly add.
Next, you brown the breadcrumbs before you add them to the top of the macaroni and bake it in the oven.
How To Make Crock Pot Mac And Cheese
- Add pasta and liquids to the slow cooker. Sprinkle in seasonings and stir.
- Cover and cook 1 hour. Stir. Cover and cook another 10 minutes.
- Stir in cream cheese and grated cheese. Cover and let sit for 5-10 minutes. Stir and serve.
How easy is that?! No fancy cream sauce to make just hands-off cook time so you can go relax!
You May Like: Baked By Melissa Nut Free Cupcakes
Cabot Baked Macaroni And Cheese
This baked macaroni and cheese rises to the top of the list of comfort foods. This recipe is the perfect option for your family. It will make anyone at your table happy.
This recipe calls for Cabot cheddar cheese with a crunchy breadcrumb topping. This mac and cheese has a satisfying flavor with a kick of spice. This recipe uses Tabasco sauce, black pepper, and freshly grated nutmeg.
For the breadcrumbs in this recipe, it uses firm white or wheat bread. Of course, everyone will ask for another serving.
Can I Make This Recipe On The Stove Top
If you would prefer to make this on your stove top, you can! We have a stove top version if you want to try this easy homemade macaroni and cheese recipe.
You will cook your pasta according to package and then add the remaining of the ingredients. Occasionally we will do this option if my oven is full of with baking items. Either way, it is very tasty.
Read Also: Baked Bread And Pastry Company
You Cant Have Mac And Cheese Recipes Without A Tried And True Recipe
There are so many macaroni and cheese recipes it is almost impossible to try them all. Each one has a unique little twist to make it slightly different than the one before. This recipe uses shredded sharp cheddar and shredded Gruyere.
It is recommended that you shred your own cheese instead of buying it already shredded. It also gives recommendations for variations on cheeses. You would be surprised how changing the cheese make a difference in the taste.
This macaroni and cheese is a fairly traditional recipe that requires you to make a roux with flour, butter, and milk. You will use heaping teaspoons of dry mustard, which gives it a little kick. At the end, this recipe suggests that you add cayenne and paprika.
This will really kick up the spice of your macaroni and cheese. It has a crispy top layer which is a nice balance to the soft bottom. For this recipe, you want to undercook the pasta for a few minutes so that it is not mushy when it comes out of the oven.
How To Make It
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the flour and use a silicone spatula to stir continuously for 2 minutes. Add the milk/heavy cream in small splashes, stirring continuously.
Let it heat through and thicken while you continue to stir for 5 minutes. Add the seasonings and hot sauce and remove from heat.
Gradually sprinkle in 4 cups of shredded cheese, stirring continuously until smooth. Meanwhile, boil the macaroni for 1 minute less than al dente.
Combine the drained macaroni and the cheese sauce and transfer to a lightly greased 9 x 13-inch casserole dish.
Top with 2 cups of shredded cheese and bake at 325° for 25 minutes. Broil at the end for a few minutes if desired, then serve!
Don’t Miss: No Bake Peanut Butter Dog Treats
Perfect Mac And Cheese In 5 Steps:
Special Equipment For This Recipe
- Instant Pot I recently upgraded to this model and I love it!
BE SURE TO SCROLL DOWN TO CHECK OUT OTHER READERS COMMENTS FOR TIPS AND REVIEWS.
AND DONT FORGET, IF YOUVE MADE THIS RECIPE, LEAVE A COMMENT AND PLEASE GIVE IT A STAR RATING LETTING ME KNOW HOW YOU ENJOYED IT!
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @the_chunky_chef on Facebook and Instagram!
Read Also: Baked Mushroom Rice French Onion Soup
How To Make Baked Macaroni And Cheese
As we decided to keep this recipes ingredients fairly basic, you may already have these ingredients. You will need the following:
- Elbow macaroni
We like to prepare our ingredients beforehand. As such I would recommend that you get the cheeses prepared before cooking. This way youre not in a panic trying to get that done before the pasta is ready.
Grate both the cheddar and sharp cheddar cheeses and combine together in a bowl.
Divide the cheeses into three groups.
- One group will make up the sauce 3 cups
- Another group will be added in between layers of the macaroni and cheese 1 1/2 cups
- And the last group will top the dish 1 1/2 cups.
Bring salted water to a boil in a large pot.
Add the pasta and cook until al dente, usually about 1 minute less than the package directs to cook pasta.
While the pasta is cooking, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease a 3-quart baking dish and set it aside.
Drain the pasta and set it aside.
Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Slowly add the flour in and whisk to combine. Continue to whisk and cook for about a minute.
Combine the milk and half and half into a large measuring cup.
Slowly pour in 2 cups of the half and half / milk mixture, whisking constantly. Whisk until smooth.
Slowly pour in the remaining half and half and the whole milk, whisking constantly, until smooth.
Whisking very often, continue to cook until the sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes.
Remove from the heat and add salt and pepper.
Cooking Tips For Crock Pot Mac And Cheese
Ive tested this recipe more times than Id like to admit, and through all those trials and errors, Ive come up with a few helpful tips.
- Spray the crockpot. I know it might sound weird, but it really helps keep the pasta from sticking too much to the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Use the right liquids. For most of my attempts, I was using regular, whole milk, and every time it would thicken way too much and sort of seize up on me. Ive found that a mixture of chicken broth, evaporated milk, with a little heavy cream for richness, yields the best creamy sauce.
- Grate your own cheeses. I know I know. Its SO tempting to open a bag of pre-shredded cheese from the store and Ive done it on occasion. But most commercial pre-shredded cheeses are coated in cellulose, which essentially keeps the cheese from all clumping together in the bag. Ever noticed how bags of pre-shredded cheese that are coming up on their expiration date usually have clumps of cheese stuck together inside? Its because the cellulose is just about gone from the cheese. That coating prevents the cheese from truly melting down into a gloriously gooey cheese sauce, and can leave your sauce a bit on the gritty side.
Also Check: Easy Peanut Butter No Bakes
How To Make Mac And Cheese:
- First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9X13 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the elbow pasta al dente which is about 1 minute less than the time listed on the package. Drain and rinse with cool water.
- Melt the butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and continue whisking for 1 minute. Then gradually whisk in the milk and heavy whipping cream. Whisk until smooth.
- Continue to whisk as you slowly pour these in. Continue to cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until the mixture has thickened .
- Remove the pan from the heat. Then stir in the cheddar cheese, cream cheese, salt and pepper. Stir until all these ingredients are combined and cheese has melted.
- Then stir in the pasta until the pasta is completely covered in the cheese mixture.
- Mix the bread crumb topping ingredients together in a small ball.
Creamy Baked Mac And Cheese
The Chunky Chef09/30/2019
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This baked mac and cheese is a family favorite recipe, loved by both children and adults. It uses a combination of cheeses, layered in the dish as well as melted into a rich and creamy cheese sauce, for the ultimate in cheesy deliciousness! Perfect for a comforting dinner or as a holiday side dish!
BAKED MAC AND CHEESE
Baked mac and cheese. Its nearly the universal comfort food, and there are SO many variations! In fact, I almost didnt post this recipe, as there are SOOOO many mac and cheese recipes available, and most people already have their favorite way of making it.
Of course, theres no right way or wrong way, so Im here sharing the way I like to make my mac and cheese .
Read Also: Temperature To Bake Mac And Cheese
How To Make Baked Mac And Cheese
Its a straightforward recipe, starting with a basic butter-flour roux that is used to thicken milk to make the cheese sauce. For first timers, I think the short video below will help give you the confidence that youve got this!
The simple trick to avoid lumps in the Mac and Cheese Sauce is to pour the milk in slowly while constantly stirring, then just switch to a whisk if needed to remove any stubborn lumps!