Can I Enjoy This Baked Vegan Mac And Cheese Without Baking It
Of course! Youll have a little more cheese sauce than you need as you want to keep it as creamy as possible as it bakes. However, if you prefer stove-top mac and cheese or dont have the extra time then its still delicious without baking it.
Hope you love this vegan mac and cheese as much as we do! If you try it, come back and leave a comment and rate it. Your feedback helps other readers and seeing you make my recipes makes my day!
How To Store Leftovers
- Refrigerator: Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to 5 6 days. Its great for meal prep too!
- Freezer: To store longer, mac and cheese will keep in the freezer for up to 2 3 months stored in multi-use freezer-safe containers or freezer-friendly baggies.
- Reheat: Warm on the stovetop, adding a splash of unsweetened plain non-dairy milk or water, until warmed through. Or microwave, adding a splash of unsweetened plain plant milk, using 30-second intervals, stirring after each interval until warmed through.
How To Make An Easy Baked Vegan Mac And Cheese
For the full written instructions and ingredientmeasurements, see the bottom of this post in the recipe card. You can also hit the jump to recipe button at the top of this post!Here, well go over a brief overview of the steps, along with providing visuals for a better understanding of the recipe.
Like I mentioned above, you can absolutely make just a regular vegan mac and cheese from this recipe- without the baking. However, baked mac and cheese, with the breadcrumbs on top, is such a treat!
Heres how to make an easy baked vegan mac and cheese:
Were going for al dente here, especially if youre baking the mac and cheese. Over cooked pasta will be too soggy once baked.
You can either do this in the pasta pot or the cheese sauce pot- whichever is easiest! Then spoon the mac and cheese into the casserole dish.
Whats The Best Vegan Cheese To Use For 4 Cheese Vegan Baked Mac And Cheese
Honestly, the best vegan cheese to use is whatever vegan cheese you enjoy most. Mac and cheese is a comfort dish, so choose a vegan cheese that reminds you most of what you may have eaten growing up.
Have you not tried a lot of the vegan cheese brands? Thats fine too. My personal favorites are Violife, Whole Foods 365 store brand and Daiya. These are the ones I purchase the most. Im sure there are other great ones too. For this recipe, I used all selections of Violife.
Did You Make This Recipe
Tag on Instagram and hashtag it #strengthandsunshine
I was always a store-top mac and cheese girl, but this baked version is KILLER! Regardless of your diet too, I know you’ll fall in love with this delicious dinner. Whether you whip it up for a quick weeknight meal or serve it during the holidays, everyone will have their hearts and bellies warmed!
You May Like: Honey Baked Ham Livonia Mi
What Are Other Vegan Side Dishes To Try
There are endless possibilities, but here are some of our favorite vegan side dishes that we think everyone will like:
- Bring a salted pot of water to a boil.
- Cook macaroni noodles according to the package. Drain noodles once done and set aside.
- While noodles cook, add beans, stock, dairy free milk, nutritional yeast, butter, lemon juice, salt, pepper, paprika and parmesan cheese to a high powdered blender.
- Blend this until very well combined. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees if making a baked version.
- In a skillet, over medium low heat, melt vegan butter.
- Add in chickpea flour. Whisk together.
- Slowly pour in vegan milk. Whisk until a thick consistency happens, like a gravy.
- Stir in spices, 2 cups of the prepared cheese sauce and vegan parmesan cheese. Combine well.
- Add cooked noodles and combine.
For Stovetop Vegan Mac and Cheese
- Add in the shredded cheddar cheese, then remove from heat. Adjust salt and pepper. and Serve. *Use remaining cheese sauce in another recipe or as a dip.
For Baked Vegan Mac and Cheese
Can I Prep This Vegan Mac And Cheese Ahead Of Time
This vegan mac and cheese is best served right out of the oven however, we know with holidays and such, you may be wondering about prepping ahead.
You can make the cheese sauce ahead and leave in the fridge up to 7 days in advance. That goes for the cheese sauce in the blender and then continue sauce for the baked version.
The stove top or baked version are still good heated up for the next few days however, if you are trying to wow a crowd, we recommend making and serving it without the first few hours.
You May Like: Honey Baked Ham Huntsville Al
Vegan Mac And Cheese Recipe Q& a
What does vegan mac and cheese taste like?
Like the best comfort food ever! Its super cheesy and so close to the real thing you might not even know its vegan. Seriously!
Can I make this vegan mac and cheese gluten-free?
The sauce can be made gluten-free if you use a gluten-free all purpose flour blend instead of the regular flour. And then of course you can use a gluten-free macaroni. You would also need to use gluten-free bread for the crumb topping, or alternatively you could add vegan cheese to the top instead of breadcrumbs.
Can this be made ahead?
Yes! If you need to make it ahead of time you can make up the sauce and macaroni up to 2 days before and mix it up and assemble in the 9×13 dish. Cover with foil and keep refrigerated. Then when youre ready to bake it, add the breadcrumbs and bake. In this case, since it is going into the oven cold from the fridge, add an extra 5 minutes of baking time.
How long does it keep?
Leftovers keep very well in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Can you freeze vegan mac and cheese?
Yes you can! This freezes very well.
What Is In Plant
I chose not to use vegan cheese in this recipe because they vary so greatly from country to country.
I wanted to make sure that the recipe is as accessible as possible with the ingredients that you can find at your supermarket.
So, heres what youll find in a plant-based mac and cheese recipe:
- Smoked paprika
- And your usual suspects, salt and pepper
Thats all you need to make this deliciousness! Im sure you already have most, if not all of that in your kitchen right now.
You May Like: Baked By Melissa Upper West Side
How To Make Soy
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place macaroni noodles in a saucepan of water and cook according to directions on the package.
- Rinse and drain cannellini beans. Place all ingredients into the blender and blend on high until smooth and creamy. Be sure to add ingredients to the blender in the order listed above. All recipes blend much easier when the liquid is on the bottom of the pitcher.
- Add cooked macaroni noodles to the glass baking dish.
- Pour cheese sauce over the macaroni and spread throughout.
- Add breadcrumbs and extra nutritional yeast on top.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until you reach your desired likeness.
- Let the baked macaroni and cheese cool. Serve and enjoy!!
More Vegan Pasta Recipes
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a comment and rating below!
You May Like: Laura Mercier Baked Blush Bronze Ritual
Ingredients Youll Need For Baked Vegan Mac And Cheese
- Pasta! Im partial to old school elbows, but any small pasta or small shell will work.
- Cashews. Thats what gives this mac and cheese body and creamy texture I find the best price for raw cashews is at Trader Joes. No need to splurge on whole cashews as youre blending them anyways grab the pieces.
- Nutritional Yeast! Theres a lot of yeast in this recipe, which means brands matter. If you think you dont like nutritional yeast, try another brand and see if that makes a difference. I recently discovered Druids Grove nutritional yeast and was blown away by how parmesan cheesy it tastes and smells.
- Almond milk, or any other unflavored non-dairy milk.
- Spices, especially smoked paprika and chipotle powder to give a smoky cheddar-like taste. If you cant find chipotle powder, sub in more smoked paprika.
- Panko, or regular breadcrumbs for mixing on top. For an extra-buttery flakiness, melt butter and mix with breadcrumbs and a little Italian seasoning, then cover liberally over the mac.
Your Partner In Plant
Get recipes, tips and all kinds of cheezy goodnessdelivered right to your inbox.
A deliciously dairy-free vegan take on a classic, comforting favorite. This plant-based recipe for Creamy Macaroni & Cheese is made with Daiya Cheddar Style Shreds. Its topped with gluten-free breadcrumbs, vegan parmesan cheese and paprika. It takes just 10 minutes to prep and 15 minutes to cook.
Recommended Reading: Honey Baked Ham West Palm Beach
Baked Vegan Mac And Cheese
Easy, cheesy, and creamy baked vegan mac and cheese recipe! Nut-free and oil-free.
Everyone needs a good mac and cheese recipe in their arsenal – so today I’m bringing you the creamiest, dreamiest homemade baked vegan mac and cheese that you can impress your friends and family with. Or just eat straight out of the pan by yourself. Enjoy as the main dish, or as a side!
This recipe calls for full-fat coconut milk, which makes for a rich cheese sauce, alongside your favorite shredded vegan cheese. What this recipe does not contain is soy or nuts, making it totally top 8 allergy-friendly.
Smokey Vegan Baked Mac And Cheese
This vegan baked mac and cheese is smokey, creamy, rich, crispy on the top, and super easy to make! This is the ultimate in comfort food.
Who can go past a tasty, easy, and affordable meal?
A little different from the other traditional mac and cheese recipes out there with that twist of smokiness.
This recipe is made entirely of whole foods and can be made gluten-free by simply swapping out the pasta and breadcrumbs for their gluten-free equivalent counterparts.
Also Check: Honey Baked Ham Woodstock Ga
How To Make The Best Baked Vegan Mac And Cheese:
Such an easy creamy pasta recipe!! this is how it’s done.
The Best Vegan Mac And Cheese
This classic vegan mac and cheese is ultra cheesy, saucy and creamy. Topped with breadcrumbs and baked until golden brown and crispy. Seriously satisfying.
This classic baked vegan mac and cheese is everything you want a mac and cheese to be.
Its creamy, saucy, ultra cheesy and topped with a delicious crispy breadcrumb topping and baked to perfection.
This is really a classic vegan mac and cheese recipe in the sense that a classic mac and cheese usually involves a bechamel sauce with heaps of cheese added to it, and then its placed into a dish and topped with breadcrumbs and baked.
And thats really very close to what we did here.
We made a vegan bechamel sauce and added all sorts of cheesy flavorings to it in lieu of actual cheese so that even non-vegans will find this cheesy as all heck, and then we topped it with delicious breadcrumbs and baked it. Just like the classic version.
Also Check: How Many Calories In Bush’s Baked Beans
Baked Vegan Mac And Cheese With Crispy Quinoa Topping
This healthy vegan mac and cheese recipe combines a lemon cream sauce with perfectly cooked gluten-free pasta and is finished off with crispy quinoa.
Now that we’ve officially said goodbye to summer, I’m shifting gears into the world of comfort food. But I’m also of the mindset that comfort food can also be really nutritious. I love putting a healthy twist on classic recipes so that everyone can enjoy them anytime they want.
In the past, some of my favorites have been a warm bowl of black bean quinoa chili or a big pile of sweet potato nachos, but ever since I created that vegan lemon cream sauce, I’ve had pasta on the brain.
So today’s healthy comfort food is a baked vegan mac and cheese recipe!
Just like any traditional mac and cheese, we have three things: noodles, cheese sauce, and a crispy topping.
But unlike traditional mac and cheese, we’re swapping in our healthier versions of each. We’re using a gluten-free pasta made from whole grain brown rice, that vegan lemon cream sauce I mentioned above and top with the whole thing with a layer of quinoa crispies.
I only made one slight modification to the sauce recipe and that was adding a dash of turmeric to turn it that vibrant orange color, but other than that it was perfect. The combination of creamy cashews, nutritional yeast, garlic, and that subtle lemon undertone, makes the pasta pop with bright, cheesy flavor. You’ll never even miss the actual cheese!
Then there’s the topping!
How To Make Dump & Bake Pasta In The Oven
This recipe uses the no-boil method: basically, the pasta and sauce cook together in the oven to get the perfect texture and combine all of the flavors even more. All you need to do is add a little more liquid to the cheese sauce so the pasta can cook in it, but dont worry Ive done all the hard work for you.
The texture combination of creamy noodles and crunchy breadcrumbs? Pure. Heaven. Theres nothing quite like a steamy bowl of cheesy noodles with a buttery crunch, if you ask me.
Recommended Reading: What Can I Bake With What I Have
Can I Make This Top 8 Allergen Friendly Mac And Cheese
One of our main goals for this besides making just a delicious vegan macaroni and cheese was to make it allergy friendly as well.
There are a few ingredients that we need to look out for in how our recipe is written, but lets get to it.
To start, you want to use a gluten free pasta. There are so many choices available now, so just use the one that you like the best. Gluten free pastas tend to be chewier, so if you are doing the baked version, we would recommend that you cook it a few minutes less on the stove.
For the vegan butter, ensure that it is soy free. We prefer earth balance soy free when it comes to this. It comes in a red tub.
Then, we have dairy free milk. We actually prefer oat milk for this because its creamier. Most dairy free oat milks are certified gluten free, so just double check your labels.
And then we have the vegan parmesan cheese. We are use Violife in this recipe, which does contain coconut oil, but no other allergens. If you have a coconut allergen, you can use Follow Your Heart parmesan.
We also have a vegan parmesan on our site that you can make with sunflower seeds however, it doesnt melt well which is why we recommend using one of the store bought brands.
Make sure if making the baked version that you pick a shredded dairy free cheese that is safe for your allergies.
Also, you can omit the breadcrumb topping or use a vegan, gluten free breadcrumb.