How To Make No Bake Peanut Butter Granola Bars
All you need are some simple ingredients to make this amazing snack.
- Line a 7 x 11 inch pan with aluminum foil. Leave some foil hanging over the edge so that you can lift the granola bars out easily when they are set up.
- In a large bowl combine the Rice Krispies, oats, and chopped nuts.
- In a medium sized bowl combine the peanut butter, honey, and brown sugar. Stir together well.
- Place in the microwave and heat for 1 minute on high. Stir together well after removing from microwave until smooth and creamy.
- Place back in the microwave and heat for 30 more seconds. Remove from microwave and stir in vanilla.
- Pour over the cereal mixture in the other bowl and stir together well. Be sure all of the dry ingredients are coated well.
- Place mixture into prepared pan covered in foil. Spread evenly in pan. Sometimes it works best to press down with the back of a wooden spoon or use your fingers.
- Let cool for about 30-45 minutes or stick in the fridge until set up well.
- Remove from foil and slice into any size bars you want. We cut them into longer lengths, but you could cut them into squares.
- Pack them up for lunches or for a fun day at the park or the beach.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Granola Bars
Move over, Quaker Soft and Chewy Granola Bars. You can make these soft, chewy, vegan, gluten-free, and healthier DIY bars in 10 minutes. This homemade granola bars recipe is adapted from my Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Granola Bars and I included a very similar recipe in my first cookbook.
Readers have said theyre the best granola bars theyve ever had, their kids love them, and theyre saving so much money making their granola bars at home.
It would have been too easy to just leave the recipe alone. Thats not what food bloggers do. Its mandatory to keep tinkering.
So I made a chocolate version. Double chocolate. Theres both cocoa powder and mini chocolate chips, and while the chocolate flavor is present, it doesnt overwhelm the peanut butter flavor. You get a pop of chocolate and peanut butter in every bite, and thats a beautiful thing.
The no-bake granola bars are naturally vegan and gluten-free. Always read labels to select certified brands and the exact ingredients that are right for your dietary needs.
The special ingredient that gives the bars an extremely authentic mouthfeel and texture is crispy rice cereal. As youre stirring it in, it magically seems to disappear into the very thick mixture, but does so much when you bite down for lightness and subtle crunch.
The chocolate peanut butter granola bars can be customized with the add-ins you prefer, from dried fruit to nuts, making them very versatile.
Chewy Peanut Butter Granola Bars
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Chewy peanut butter granola bars made with healthy ingredients and no refined sugar! Full of peanut butter flavor, easy to prepare and perfect for a healthier treat.
Granola bars are a staple in our house, and I love making my own from scratch. With 7 homemade granola bars on my site, we have a repertoire of flavors, but I find myself coming back to these chewy peanut butter granola bars time and time again.
Chewy and full of peanut butter flavor, these homemade granola bars are so simple to prepare, and I love knowing exactly which ingredients go into them.
The kids love them, and they are a delicious healthier treat to keep stored away in the fridge.
Also Check: Honey Baked Ham Asheville Nc
Tips For Making Chocolate Peanut Butter Granola Bars
The bulk, heft, and bigtime chewy-factor comes from quick cook oats. Quick cook oats are just whole-rolled oats that have been cut smaller in the manufacturing process to cook quicker. If you typically buy whole-rolled oats, pulse them in your food processor or blender for about 5 seconds and youve got quick cook.
Its important to use quick cook because they behave more like flour, binding together the wet ingredients. Whole-rolled oats are bigger, coarser, and wont act as a proper binder and the bars wont hold together.
If youd rather not use corn syrup in these no-baked granola bars, youre welcome to use brown rice syrup or honey instead.
Heres What You Need To Make No
- Quick Oats. Quick oats work like a charm for gluten-free granola bars. Theyve got a great soft texture that packs down well and doesnt make them too chewy. If youre gluten-free make sure to use gluten-free oatsBobs Red Mill& One Degree brand are two of our go-tos!
- Crisp Rice Cereal. Heres the secret for a granola bar with great texture! Youll cut the oats with crisp rice cereal. It adds lightness and crunch, which is crucial, in my opinion! Note: this recipe doesnt work as well with puffed rice. We recommend crisp rice cereal only. See the FAQ for our favorite GF brands!
- Natural Peanut Butter. We want the drippy kind of creamy peanut butter made with just peanuts or peanuts and salt. If youre using peanut butter spread , you may need to play with the amount of liquid in the recipe to keep these from being dry. We love PB Co old fashioned peanut butter best, but you can use your fave!
- Honey. Next up is some honey. This adds sweetness and helps bind the granola bars together. If youre vegan, feel free to use agave or pure maple syrup instead.
- Vanilla. I love adding some vanilla to peanut butter granola bars! Its that little secret something that makes them so good!
- Salt. Trust me. It wont turn your granola bars salty, itll just balance that flavor like a dream.
- Some Chocolate Chips . Im not here to tell you what to do, but Im just going to casually mention that drizzling these no-bake peanut butter granola bars with a little melted chocolate is super delicious.
Recommended Reading: Where Can I Watch Celebrity Bake Off
How To Make Peanut Butter Granola Bars
Add the peanut butter and honey to a bowl and microwave until warm enough to stir together. Add in the remaining ingredients, then turn the mixture into a 8×8-inch baking pan.
Melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil in the microwave, then drizzle liberally over the bars. Place the bars into the fridge or freezer to set. Dont skip this step, otherwise you wont be able to slice them!
How To Make Chocolate Peanut Butter Granola Bars
In a large, microwave-safe bowl, combine the corn syrup, peanut butter, and brown sugar. Heat on high power for 1 minute, stir, then heat for another minute.
Add in the vanilla, oats, cocoa, and salt. Then, add 1 cup of the crispy rice cereal and gently stir to combine. If needed, add extra cereal until the right consistency is reached.
Lastly, mix in 3/4 of the chocolate chips. Turn the mixture into a foil-lined 8×8-inch baking dish, then sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips. Chill the chocolate peanut butter granola bars until set, then slice.
Recommended Reading: Bak Revolver X2 Vs Truxedo Titanium
Recommended Tools For Perfect No Bake Peanut Butter Granola Bars
- Gluten Free Rolled Oats the search for gluten free old fashioned oats is over! Here ya go.
- Unsalted Natural, Creamy Peanut Butter I love using simple, whole ingredients in my recipes and this ones no exception. I love that this natural peanut butter does not include any extra, unnecessary ingredients like added salt, oil or sugar.
- Nested Glass Mixing Bowls These glass mixing bowls are strong, sturdy and come out whenever its time for me to heat up my no bake recipes. They store nicely, all stacked up and nested together.
And did I mention these peanut butter granola bars are made with just 3 ingredients? Oh wait, I did! Okay, now that I have the attention span of a 3 ½ year old, I can stop being all judgy of said 3 ½ year old. So. Sorry, PB! Will you gather these 3 simple ingredients and no bake with me? Im so happy about tricking all the youngins into thinking these are candy bars creating delicious, homemade treats with you. I cant wait to hear what you think. Til next time
Sending you all my love and maybe even a dove, xo Demeter
Did you make this no bake peanut butter granola bars recipe? Take a pic & share it on with the hashtag #beamingbaker and tag . Id love to see it!
Ingredient No Bake Peanut Butter Granola Bars
Try the cookie version here.
Welcome to another throwback classic recipe from the Beaming Baker archives! This ones too good to pass up. Ive updated todays recipe with brand new photos, a spruced up recipe and new recommended tools & tips. Hope you enjoy!
Two thumbs up!
Thats what my sister Jenny just texted me this morning. According to Jenny, thats my 3-and-a-half-year-old nephew Dylans final, locked-in rating of these homemade peanut butter granola bars! Woot woot!
Recently, I sent Jenny, Dylan , and Grams a tasty little care package full of this peanut butter granola bar recipe, a top secret new oil free peanut butter oatmeal breakfast cookies and two big batches of no bake PB oatmeal cookie dough bars. When they finally got the package , we did our usual FaceTime unboxing.
Erik says its very similar to those YouTube unboxing vids people do with monthly subscriptionscomplete with a swinging camera, a zoomed-in hand holding one object still for the camera to focus on it, and lots of nosiness on our part as to whatevers going on in the background.
We had our usual banter of Seriously, have you washed your hair yet?? to When did you get that sweater? and Why did you go shopping without meeeee? and my moms typical Its really cold in Boston, but nothings as cold as Maine!! Wait, WHY do you live there again??
Don’t Miss: Temperature To Bake Mac And Cheese
Homemade Granola Bars: Recipe Substitutions And Cooking Tips
The goal is to make this homemade granola bars recipe work for YOU and your familys needs! As always, if you try out this recipe wed love to hear how it goes!
- Gluten-Free Rolled oats are naturally gluten-free, however, they may come in contact with gluten-containing grains such as wheat, barley, or rye thus becoming contaminated with gluten. Make sure to use certified gluten-free oats if your gluten-free granola bars are intended for someone with celiac disease
- Nut-Free Swap out the peanut butter for sunflower seed butter, tahini, or pumpkin seed butter
- Dairy-Free Use dairy-free mini chocolate chips, such as Enjoy Life brand
- Egg-Free and Vegan Substitute 2 flax eggs. To make enough flax egg mixture for this recipe, mix 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed with 5 tablespoons water. Let set for 5-10 minutes before adding to the recipe
- High-Protein Granola Bars Feel free to add in your favorite protein powder! Simply substitute 1/2 cup of protein powder for 1/2 cup of oats. See our posts on our top recommended Whey Protein Powders and Plant-Based Protein Powders. You could also mix in unflavored collagen peptides for a protein addition that will give your hair, skin, and nails a health boost.
By Step Instructions For Granola Bars With Peanut Butter
Step 1. Measure pretzels into a blender or food processor and pulse until they are the consistency of bread crumbs. Set aside.
Step 2. In the bowl of a standing mixer , stir the peanut butter, honey, coconut oil, and vanilla until well blended.
Step 3. Add the oatsand crushed pretzels and mix until everything is evenly combined.
Step 4. Add the chocolate chips and peanuts and mix again for just a few rounds to incorporate into the mixture.
Step 5. Line an 8×8 or 9×9 baking pan with parchment paper. Scoop the granola into the pan.Step 6. Moisten your fingers and hands with water and press the granola down and out into the corners and edges of the pan until it is evenly distributed and pressed together.
Step 7. Place the pan in the freezer for 30 minutes.Step 8. Remove the pan from the freezer and pull the granola bars out of the pan by using the edges of the parchment paper as handles.Step 9. Cut the granola bars into 24 pieces. Store in the fridge.
You May Like: Honey Baked Ham Brentwood Tn
How To Make Granola Bars
This is one of our favorite healthy granola bar recipes because of how easy it is to throw together! Bonus: theres no need to dirty your food processor or blender everything is mixed together in one bowl for easy clean-up!
Scroll down for the printable recipe card, including ingredient amounts, complete directions, and full nutrition analysis .
Special equipment needed? No way! This recipe doesnt even require a small saucepan. You simply need a bowl, a spoon, and a 9-inch square baking dish.
Storage Info For Peanut Butter Granola Bars
These homemade peanut butter granola bars are different from the store-bought variety: so theyre not shelf-stable! Store homemade granola bars refrigerated for up to 3 weeks in a sealed container. You can still include them in lunch boxes that arent refrigerated during the day: theyll be a bit softer but will still hold together.
Want to transport them individually wrapped? You can wrap in parchment paper and secure with tape, or use the storage container of your choice.
You May Like: Johnny’s Take And Bake Pizza
Are Granola Bars Keto
Typically, no. Most granola bars are loaded with ingredients that negatively impact your blood sugar levels like oatmeal, sugar, preservatives, and sweetened fruit.
However, if you love granola bars, you’re in luck! These low carb granola bars are developed specifically to be keto-friendly!
This granola bars recipe is made with peanut butter that has no sugar added. To add that sweet flavor, we’ll skip the sugar and instead sweeten these bars with your favorite keto-friendly sweetener.
Plus, these sugar free granola bars are made with a variety of heart-healthy nuts and seeds. There are absolutely no oats or grains in this granola bar recipe, making them paleo-friendly as well.
This keto granola bar is best compared to chewy nut bars you can buy at many stores but without preservatives and added sugars.
How To Store Homemade Granola Bars
We almost always include some sort of energy bite or bar recipe when were prepping meals for the week. Theyre easy, on-the-go fuel that the whole family will eat!
To make them ahead, simply prepare the recipe as written. Once your gluten-free granola bars have been cooled and cut, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 10 days. But our guess is they wont last that long!
Read Also: Honey Baked Ham Albany Ny
No Bake Granola Bar Mix
If youre wondering what mix-ins go with homemade granola bars, the answer is anything you love!
Here are a few options to consider along with my all-time favorite ingredient combination. Use up to 1 1/4 cups total.
- Dried fruit, like cranberries, raisins, cherries, or apricots. Chop if larger than a dime.
- Mini chocolate chips.
- Sunflower seeds, chia seeds, or hemp seeds.
- Slivered almonds, chopped walnuts, pecans, or pistachios.
My Favorite Combo. 1/4 cup dried cranberries, 1/4 chopped dried cherries or raisins, 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips, 1/4 cup chopped pecans or almonds, and either 1/4 cup sunflower seeds or other nuts.
What Are Some Other Add Ins For These Granola Bars
After we made these delicious granola bars, we started thinking of all the other ingredients we could add in. So many of our favorite healthy ingredients that we like in granola could easily be added into these bars.
And the best part about these bars is that they are no bake. A lot of the store bought granola bars are so hard that they crumble into pieces when you take a bite.
These granola bars are soft, with some crunch. We think they are perfect in every way. Here are some great add ins you may want to try.
You May Like: Honey Baked Ham Elizabethtown Ky
Chill A Few Hours For Best Results
Once you mix together the dough for this peanut butter granola bars recipe, youll freeze it for 10 minutes to solidly. Then, you can cut it into bars. Right away, the texture will be very chewy. If you can, refrigerate the bars for 2 hours before eating! This helps the texture to firm up. Technically you can eat them right away, but chilling them makes them more solid.
S To Make Granola Bars
Read Also: Temp To Bake Apple Pie